Author Topic: Here’s what was surprising about Kilauea’s 3-month-long eruption  (Read 636 times)

rangerrebew

Here’s what was surprising about Kilauea’s 3-month-long eruption
Scientists have learned new things about how craters collapse and life rebounds under the sea
By
Jennifer Leman
6:39pm, December 11, 2018

WASHINGTON — After a stunningly explosive summer, Kilauea, the world’s longest continuously erupting volcano, finally seems to have taken a break. But the scientists studying it haven’t. Reams of new data collected during an unprecedented opportunity to monitor an ongoing, accessible eruption are changing what’s known about how some volcanoes behave.

“It was hugely significant,” says Jessica Larsen, a petrologist at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, and “a departure from what Kilauea had been doing for more than 35 years.”

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/what-was-surprising-about-kilauea-volcano-eruption-hawaii

Offline thackney

Interesting

...the destruction of Kilauea’s crater is what’s called a piston-style caldera collapse, he said. Sixty-two small collapse events rattled the volcano from mid-May to late August, with each collapse causing the crater to sink and pushing the surrounding land out and up. By the end, the center of the volcano sank by as much as 500 meters — more than the height of the Empire State Building.

That activity didn’t just destroy the crater.  “We could see surges in the eruption rate 40 kilometers away whenever there was a collapse,” Anderson said....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Interesting

An outstanding book for people who are into stuff blowing up.  I hope one day I can blow something up that people can hear thousands of miles away (and several hours later).   Lots of other amazing facts included:

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

An outstanding book for people who are into stuff blowing up.  I hope one day I can blow something up that people can hear thousands of miles away (and several hours later).   Lots of other amazing facts included:

The geologists on this board can weigh in, but I believe Kilauea is a quite different volcano type than Krakatoa, meaning it is less susceptible to explosive eruption.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington