Author Topic: US to shut down Idaho nuclear waste processing project  (Read 1003 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
US to shut down Idaho nuclear waste processing project
« on: December 09, 2018, 08:45:25 pm »
US to shut down Idaho nuclear waste processing project
By KEITH RIDLER

BOISE, Idaho (AP) — Federal officials will shut down an Idaho nuclear waste treatment project after determining it would not be economically feasible to bring in radioactive waste from other states.

The U.S. Department of Energy in documents made public this week said the Advanced Mixed Waste Treatment Project that employs 650 workers will end next year.

Officials said workers are wrapping up processing 85,000 cubic yards (65,000 cubic meters) of radioactive waste at the department’s 890-square-mile (2,300-square-kilometer) site that includes the Idaho National Laboratory.

Read more at: https://apnews.com/2093aed062e2450ea0cb6c1032b60766

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: US to shut down Idaho nuclear waste processing project
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 10:36:47 pm »
Hanford Washington is the worst chemical and nuclear waste site in the US.  I know someone who visited there to assess remediation possibilities.  He saw drums oozing who knows what onto the ground.   All stored there courtesy of the worst polluter in the country, the department of defense.

A big mistake to attempt to transport that mess.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Joe Wooten

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 12:30:42 pm »
Hanford Washington is the worst chemical and nuclear waste site in the US.  I know someone who visited there to assess remediation possibilities.  He saw drums oozing who knows what onto the ground.   All stored there courtesy of the worst polluter in the country, the department of defense.

A big mistake to attempt to transport that mess.

Hanford's waste problem is also a contractor magnet. I know quite a few guys who went there to work on the problem

Offline kidd

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:09:41 pm »
I think this leaves only 4 facilities in the US to handle low level waste:

Barnwell (SC) only accepts waste from the Eastern US
Richland (WA) only accepts waste from the West coast
Texas has a facility that only accepts Texas waste (I think)
Utah has a facility that accepts waste from any state. I would expect their high prices to go even higher.