Author Topic: Prosecutors probing potential links between Trump Organization executives and hush-money payments: r  (Read 7952 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Prosecutors probing potential links between Trump Organization executives and hush-money payments: report
By Emily Birnbaum - 12/09/18 08:28 PM EST

Federal prosecutors are reportedly continuing to probe potential links between Trump Organization executives and the two hush-money payments that President Trump's former lawyer Michael Cohen says the then-candidate helped coordinated.

The prosecutors have requested documents and other materials from the Trump Organization in recent weeks, The New York Times reported on Sunday. They are trying to identify if other organization officials helped pay off two women to keep quiet about alleged affairs with Trump, the Times reported. 

In a sentencing memo released on Friday, prosecutors with the U.S. Attorney’s Office in the Southern District of New York said for the first time that Cohen acted “in coordination with and at the direction” of Trump when he organized payments to Stormy Daniels and Karen McDougal, women who claimed that they had affairs with Trump in 2006. Trump has denied the alleged affairs.

Cohen has told prosecutors that other Trump Organization executives were involved in the hush-money payments, including the chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, the Times reported.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/420497-prosecutors-probing-potential-links-between-trump-organization
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak
@Oceander

"Cohen has told prosecutors that other Trump Organization executives were involved in the hush-money payments, including the chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, the Times reported."

Perhaps these "other executives" are the back-up witnesses for these pay-offs.
After reading another thread info. here and more info. on a news website, it appears Trump may be charged with a crime by the US Federal Southern District of New York.  That is where Cohen is charged so Trump will be charged there, if anywhere at all.   

According to what I read, the info. could be given to congress for them to decide what to do with the material, impeach, or not.  Other than that, a few criminal attorneys think he would have to stand trial now, some say after he is no longer president.  It appears that situation would go to the supreme court to determine the next action.

Mueller is not finished and no one knows who will be named as breaking the law in his final report - maybe those charged are already charged, no more to be charged.  He has stayed silent, absolutely super to keep his investigation quiet.  It is people on the TV/internet who are going crazy with charging people of crimes.

What does the above mean?  Nothing.  It is supposition, as we don't yet know what Mueller knows.  He will make a report - wait for it.

Offline libertybele

@mystery-ak
@Oceander

"Cohen has told prosecutors that other Trump Organization executives were involved in the hush-money payments, including the chief financial officer, Allen Weisselberg, the Times reported."

After reading another thread info. here and more info. on a news website, it appears Trump may be charged with a crime by the US Federal Southern District of New York.  That is where Cohen is charged so Trump will be charged there, if anywhere at all.   

According to what I read, the info. could be given to congress for them to decide what to do with the material, impeach, or not.  Other than that, a few criminal attorneys think he would have to stand trial now, some say after he is no longer president.  It appears that situation would go to the supreme court to determine the next action.

Mueller is not finished and no one knows who will be named as breaking the law in his final report - maybe those charged are already charged, no more to be charged.  He has stayed silent, absolutely super to keep his investigation quiet.  It is people on the TV/internet who are going crazy with charging people of crimes.

What does the above mean?  Nothing.  It is supposition, as we don't yet know what Mueller knows.  He will make a report - wait for it.

Well, to me it seems that Mueller holds all the cards and I think Trump was a fool to not fire him.  Mueller has a past history of being less than honest and ethical.

So ... can we believe anything that Cohen is saying?  Did Mueller or did he not 'bribe' him so that the outcome is what Mueller and Rosenstein (a la Clinton and the left) want?  I believe it is very doubtful and improbable that Mueller conducted a legitimate, honest investigation.

We have a corrupt DOJ. Sessions had the ability to ensure a competent and trustworthy DOJ and he FAILED.  No one who is authority right now, can assure the American public that there is absolute integrity within the DOJ.

Rumor has it that Trump has enough dirt on Mueller to take him down...but WHO is going to take Muller down??  Certainly not his boss Rosenstein. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Oceander

The will to disbelieve is strong among the trumpaloos.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The will to disbelieve is strong among the trumpaloos.

What is a "trumpaloo"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Right_in_Virginia

Just as a side note, this pleases me:

Prosecutors Recommend Several Years in Prison for Michael Cohen
Real Clear Politics, Dec 8, 2018

[...]

In a court filing ahead of Cohen’s sentencing next week, they assailed him as a greedy opportunist who rode Trump’s coattails to wealth and is now exaggerating his level of cooperation with investigators.

More:  https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2018/12/08/prosecutors_recommend_several_years_in_prison_for_michael_cohen_138873.html

Oceander

Agreed.  It does indicate that Cohen isn’t a particularly grave threat; if he were, they’d be playing nicer with him than they are.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

Hilarious, considering you needed Xanax the day his office was raided.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Online mountaineer

Speaking of hush money:
Jennifer
🔱
🇺🇸
🔱
‏ @Jenn198523
5h5 hours ago

BREAKING: According to congressional sources Adam Schiff used tax payer money to reach a sexual harassment settlement w/ a 19 year old male in 2013.

Congress has a $17 million  'hush fund' & Dems refuse to release names of Congressmen.

Story developing
https://www-m.cnn.com/2017/11/16/politics/settlements-congress-sexual-harassment/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Famp.cnn.com%2Fcnn%2F2017%2F11%2F16%2Fpolitics%2Fsettlements-congress-sexual-harassment%2Findex.html%3F__twitter_impression%3Dtrue …
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
So the little Schiff is a chicken hawk!   Well blow me down.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline edpc

Speaking of hush money:

I guess someone figured they had to outdo the phony Soros in law meme.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Cohen pled guilty to a "crime" that probably wasn't actually a crime.  Now Mueller and the media are claiming Trump must be guilty of a crime BECAUSE Cohen pled guilty to it.  Thing is, paying off people to keep silent about affairs is not a crime unless it can be construed as a campaign contribution.  Trump had lots of reasons to want to pay these girls off, beyond the effect it might have on his campaign.  Plus, he did not use campaign funds. 

If this is all Mueller has, then Trump will skate.

Offline edpc

Cohen pled guilty to a "crime" that probably wasn't actually a crime.  Now Mueller and the media are claiming Trump must be guilty of a crime BECAUSE Cohen pled guilty to it.  Thing is, paying off people to keep silent about affairs is not a crime unless it can be construed as a campaign contribution.  Trump had lots of reasons to want to pay these girls off, beyond the effect it might have on his campaign.  Plus, he did not use campaign funds. 

If this is all Mueller has, then Trump will skate.

This lays out why it likely was illegal. Plus, the SDNY, not Mueller, is handling this particular issue. They’re not relying strictly on Cohen. That’s why they interviewed and offered immunity to Allen Weisselberg and David Pecker.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/08/22/analysis-why-was-the-cohen-payment-to-stormy-daniels-a-crime-at-all

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@mystery-ak
@Oceander

Some of us are holding our breath for nothing.  There is no crime here.  If Trump paid these women to get rid of them, it was exactly what they were looking for.  Unless they thought Trump was really, really cute, they made advances to him because he is rich.  They didn't expect to come out of the thing with nothing.  At least Trump didn't rape anyone.  So many dems are culpable.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online mountaineer

Yeah, I can't wait to see some confirmation of this one.  :laugh:

Offline edpc

Some of us are holding our breath for nothing.  There is no crime here.  If Trump paid these women to get rid of them, it was exactly what they were looking for.  Unless they thought Trump was really, really cute, they made advances to him because he is rich.  They didn't expect to come out of the thing with nothing.  At least Trump didn't rape anyone.  So many dems are culpable.

There are so many reasons why you’re wrong. The article a few posts above explains the legal issues with the payment. Also, he avoided paying them for a decade, so there is a fairly obvious motive with the timing. The entire affair was handled poorly by incompetent people, at Trump’s direction. Cohen’s lawyers, Guy Petrillo, was chief of criminal investigation at SDNY, not long ago. He knows the people, how they operate, and what they have. If he thought he could have beaten the charges, he would have given different legal advice.

Online mountaineer

Should any of the women be prosecuted for extortion and blackmail?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

You know what they say ... it's okay unless you're caught with a dead girl or a live boy ... Looks like Schiff may have one of two.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Should any of the women be prosecuted for extortion and blackmail?

The democrats will do anything to trash Trump, but I think they're making a big mistake here..

The democrats have so much in their closets and they are just begging for a tit for tat so what is the point in embroiling the government in this tawdry mess that involves no criminal action by Trump?

Unless they want to interrupt his agenda.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

There are so many reasons why you’re wrong. The article a few posts above explains the legal issues with the payment. Also, he avoided paying them for a decade, so there is a fairly obvious motive with the timing. The entire affair was handled poorly by incompetent people, at Trump’s direction. Cohen’s lawyers, Guy Petrillo, was chief of criminal investigation at SDNY, not long ago. He knows the people, how they operate, and what they have. If he thought he could have beaten the charges, he would have given different legal advice.

What is the crime, Ed?  Paying a prostitute?  I don't believe there is much appetite for charging Johns with crimes ... not enough room in the jails.  Whatever Trump did or did not pay, he did not use government funds.

Offline edpc

Unless they want to interrupt his agenda.

The best way to do that is by handing the majority back over to Republicans.

Offline edpc

What is the crime, Ed?  Paying a prostitute?  I don't believe there is much appetite for charging Johns with crimes ... not enough room in the jails.  Whatever Trump did or did not pay, he did not use government funds.

There’s a nice, little, clickable link in reply 13 that will explain it for you. It’s called intellectual curiosity, MJ. Take it out of the closet, try it on, and see how it fits.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

There’s a nice, little, clickable link in reply 13 that will explain it for you. It’s called intellectual curiosity, MJ. Take it out of the closet, try it on, and see how it fits.

I think we all know that Trump was susceptible to the charms of women.  And we also know that a certain class of women headed for him like a laser because they expected or hoped for a pay-off.

Not much 'intellectual curiosity there, Ed.  But most people do not think that Trump attacked or abused any women.  He did not have to.

So, while this may not be the finest hour in Trump's presidency, it is not a crime by any intellectual standards.

So, go ahead and enjoy this, Ed.  It will amount to nothing except interrupt the Republican agenda, which was just starting to come around to supporting Trump.

Offline edpc

I think we all know that Trump was susceptible to the charms of women.  And we also know that a certain class of women headed for him like a laser because they expected or hoped for a pay-off.

Not much 'intellectual curiosity there, Ed.  But most people do not think that Trump attacked or abused any women.  He did not have to.

So, while this may not be the finest hour in Trump's presidency, it is not a crime by any intellectual standards.

So, go ahead and enjoy this, Ed.  It will amount to nothing except interrupt the Republican agenda, which was just starting to come around to supporting Trump.

The curiosity to which I referred was actually reading the article that explains why the payments are problematic. Try it. As far as ‘female charms’ go, it was Trump who sought them out and had Schiller deliver them, like a pimp. Strange how the republicans ‘came around’ when they knew they’d lose control of the House, isn’t it? Seems a lot like the days when they passed a clean repeal of Obamacare, knowing it would be vetoed and had no chance of being overridden.    :pondering:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:12:11 pm by edpc »