Author Topic: Neo-Nazi convicted of murder in Charlottesville car assault that killed Heather Heyer  (Read 1085 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Neo-Nazi convicted of murder in Charlottesville car assault that killed Heather Heyer
Mike James, USA TODAY
Published 5:41 p.m. ET Dec. 7, 2018 | Updated 6:11 p.m. ET Dec. 7, 2018

In 2017, an assortment of alt-right and far-right affiliated groups gathered in Charlottesville, Virginia to protest the removal of Confederate monuments and names from a city square. It ended in the death of a Charlottesville woman. USA TODAY

A man with neo-Nazi beliefs whose brazen assault on counterprotesters of a “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, last year was found guilty Friday of first-degree murder.

James Alex Fields, Jr. plowed his 2010 Dodge Challenger into the crowd, killing 32-year-old paralegal Heather Heyer. A jury in Charlottesville deliberated for seven hours before convicting Fields, 21, a Nazi sympathizer from Maumee, Ohio.

Read more at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/12/07/neo-nazi-convicted-murder-charlottesville-car-assault-killed-heather-heyer/2243848002/

May she rest in peace, I hope some justice was delivered to her family and friends.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
First degree?  That's a reach.  Manslaughter seems more appropriate in the circumstances.  I don't see how they can say it was pre-planned.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline verga

The fact that he is a neo-Nazi, does not in anyway alter the fact that she was a member of an Antifa mob. Everyone seems to forget that several weeks before the Selma march there was another protest in Marion. No counter-protesters showed up and there was no incident. If the Alt left had just stayed away none of this would have happened. George Soros wants the violence, that is what he is paying for.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
First degree?  That's a reach.  Manslaughter seems more appropriate in the circumstances.  I don't see how they can say it was pre-planned.

At the moment he hit that gas peddle out of frustration of being stuck in that crowd/mayhem, the only charge should have been 'manslaughter'.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Applewood

Maybe not pre-planned, but it was deliberate.   

But the article says he faces as sentence of 20 years to life.  That doesn't sound like an appropriate sentence for first degree murder.  First degree usually gets you life or the death penalty.  20 years to life sounds like a lesser charge.  Perhaps there was a deal.  Or maybe the reporter got it wrong?

Oceander

“Planning” doesn’t take more than a moment or two for these purposes.

Online DCPatriot

"planning" on making an escape...not planning on killing anybody specifically.

Using your reasoning, any drunk driver that kills somebody is guilty of the same crime.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Oceander

"planning" on making an escape...not planning on killing anybody specifically.

Using your reasoning, any drunk driver that kills somebody is guilty of the same crime.

Nope. 

And not only weren’t you there at the scene, you weren’t on the jury, so you have no idea what evidence as to intent or state of mind was introduced, nor how the jury evaluated that evidence. 

And being drunk tends to vitiate the state of mind needed for premeditation.  That’s why being drunk is usually an aggravating factor by itself.

Funny how you’re so damned desperate to defend a clearly guilty neo-Nazi.  Brownshirt much?

Offline edpc

True, but that seems to be a heavy burden to prove, if it was last minute. It’s a totally different story if we had a witness, text, or social media post demonstrating he said something like, “I’m going to mow these guys down.”

Offline Applewood

Seems to me, if this guy gets 20 to life, he got off easy.

Oceander

True, but that seems to be a heavy burden to prove, if it was last minute. It’s a totally different story if we had a witness, text, or social media post demonstrating he said something like, “I’m going to mow these guys down.”

Nope.  The only question is whether the jury is convinced that he thought about it before he did it. 

Online DCPatriot

Nope. 

And not only weren’t you there at the scene, you weren’t on the jury, so you have no idea what evidence as to intent or state of mind was introduced, nor how the jury evaluated that evidence. 

And being drunk tends to vitiate the state of mind needed for premeditation.  That’s why being drunk is usually an aggravating factor by itself.

Funny how you’re so damned desperate to defend a clearly guilty neo-Nazi.  Brownshirt much?

LOL!  What's "funny" is how pathetic you've become, @Oceander smearing me based upon an opinion. 

Oceander

LOL!  What's "funny" is how pathetic you've become, @Oceander smearing me based upon an opinion. 

No smear.  Simply pointing out the obvious inferences that arise from your oh-so-solicitous defense of a nasty little POS who turned his car into a weapon and killed someone with it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

I saw no "defense." I saw a reasonable question.

The Antifa college instructor shwed up at the event, armed with the bike lock which he struck the other man. Clearly pre-meditation.

This guy came by car, and may or may not have premeditated using the car as weapon.

BOTH of them have fore knowledge the implements could be deadly. Theycontinued wielding them, non-the-less.

Both guilty of prmeditation, just as the drinker who gets  behind the wheel.

That is my opinion. Does anybody know of ny defense offered?

See how quickly protests/demonstrations/riots can get out of control?

Four Dead in Ohio.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online DCPatriot

No smear.  Simply pointing out the obvious inferences that arise from your oh-so-solicitous defense of a nasty little POS who turned his car into a weapon and killed someone with it.

Because I've avidly supported everything this POTUS has done since Summer of 15, you've grouped me as a racist "brownshirt".

Everything else is bullshit.

Oceander

Because I've avidly supported everything this POTUS has done since Summer of 15, you've grouped me as a racist "brownshirt".

Everything else is bullshit.

Nope.  Because you’re supporting a neo-Nazi. 

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
At most, second-degree. The evidence for premeditated murder, in what by most reliable accounts was already escalating into a riot before the killing, is weak.

Alas, that's the price he paid for having an unpopular opinion AND committing a violent crime like that; the prosecutors are going to overshoot the actual crime just to prove a point, because nobody's going to seriously object to it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Nope.  Because you’re supporting a neo-Nazi.
Being a "neo-Nazi" in and of itself is not a crime, whether you like it or not, even if he's dead wrong. The crime was using his car to run over and kill Heather Heyer.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

Being a "neo-Nazi" in and of itself is not a crime, whether you like it or not, even if he's dead wrong. The crime was using his car to run over and kill Heather Heyer.

Never said it was.  But it’s fascinating to see what sort of criminal gets such solicitous favor and concern here.  So much concern for a POS who turned his car into a lethal weapon and killed someone with it; but God forbid the criminal is someone trying to hop the border - then the derision and bloodlust is epic. 

Offline edpc

Never said it was.  But it’s fascinating to see what sort of criminal gets such solicitous favor and concern here.  So much concern for a POS who turned his car into a lethal weapon and killed someone with it; but God forbid the criminal is someone trying to hop the border - then the derision and bloodlust is epic.

Well, in my case, it’s more of a question about the verdict, not sympathy or lack of guilt. Then again, I’m comparing it to a case like Betty Broderick, where premeditation was obvious. Despite that, she had one hung jury, then a second degree conviction in the retrial.

Oceander

Well, in my case, it’s more of a question about the verdict, not sympathy or lack of guilt. Then again, I’m comparing it to a case like Betty Broderick, where premeditation was obvious. Despite that, she had one hung jury, then a second degree conviction in the retrial.

Fair enough.  That being said, state of mind and intent are matters that are generally inferred from circumstantial evidence, and are the provenance of the jury. If the jury found premeditation, that finding will almost certainly be upheld, not because he’s being railroaded - he’s not - but because the jury so found based on the evidence presented.