Author Topic: Bitter Iraqis remember George H.W. Bush as ‘Mr Embargo’  (Read 416 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bitter Iraqis remember George H.W. Bush as ‘Mr Embargo’

BAGHDAD, Iraq – The death of former US president George H.W. Bush stirred bitter memories for Iraqis Saturday of “Mr Embargo” – the man behind crushing sanctions they blame for ravaging their country.

Under Bush’s command, US soldiers in 1991 drove invading Iraqi troops from Kuwait, which strongman Saddam Hussein had infamously dubbed his nation’s 19th province.

Iraq was slammed with crippling global sanctions and an oil embargo that left many relying on ration cards and slim salaries for over a decade – a period not easily forgotten by those who lived through it.

Read more at: http://www.rudaw.net/english/middleeast/iraq/011220181

Offline Absalom

Re: Bitter Iraqis remember George H.W. Bush as ‘Mr Embargo’
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 02:30:05 am »
"The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend"; wisdom doofus Bush never understood, if he heard it.
Iran was/remains our greatest ME enemy and is the incubus for our troubles!!!!!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 02:58:30 am »
rudaw net is Kurdish news, it's interesting to read the comments. They appreciated Bush.

Hence I put up this other thread that expresses the Kurds remembering GHWB. Let's not forget, Saddam allegedly gassed many Kurds.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,342657.0.html

That doesn't change the fact of the suffering of many Iraqis. This is the worse thing with foreign involvement. You will also stir up resentment from a sector of the populace.  And I admit it, it's too complex for me to understand.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 03:00:38 am »
In the early 2000s, before the Iraq invasion, we had "operation desert fox" going on.  That might have been enough to limit and keep in place the Iraqi regime without a full scale invasion.