Author Topic: Results of Colorado Marijuana Legalization 4 Years Later  (Read 7311 times)

Offline kidd

Re: Results of Colorado Marijuana Legalization 4 Years Later
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2018, 01:55:06 am »
I start radiation in a few weeks, 33 sessions to be exact. The doc said I’d be given oxy for the pain. What are the thoughts here on short term, medicinal use? Narcotic pain pills scare the shit out of me. We actually know a couple of people who got hooked while undergoing cancer treatment and I don’t need that to look forward to.
I've just finished my 13th session of chemo.

Pot might be useful for nausea, but there are more effective drugs that can be tailored to the level of nausea. I don't see the harm in medical pot, but there are better choices. Pot would be nearly useless to combat radiation treatment pain.

I use oxycodone 1-2 times a week for pain in my feet and anus (from all the diarrhea). I haven't had to use any oxycodone in over a month. There is no high from the oxycodone, but it does help me sleep, when needed. But I do try to NOT use it and will not use it during the day. At my low level of usage there is no addiction, but there is the temptation to tell yourself that "it helped me sleep before and I'm not addicted (so why not take another?)".

The strategy is to learn how to tolerate level 5 pain. Do physical chores - watching TV or mental chores didn't work for me. You can easily fall asleep with level 3 pain, and if tired enough, level 4 pain. Tylenol can help bring level 5 pain to level 3 pain. Keep a log of when you take the oxy.

But if you simply cannot sleep past the pain (perhaps after more than two hours of trying other strategies), you shouldn't be afraid to take it.

Oceander

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2018, 01:59:08 am »
I start radiation in a few weeks, 33 sessions to be exact. The doc said I’d be given oxy for the pain. What are the thoughts here on short term, medicinal use? Narcotic pain pills scare the shit out of me. We actually know a couple of people who got hooked while undergoing cancer treatment and I don’t need that to look forward to.

Good luck and may God be with you.  Just my personal preference here:  narcotic painkillers scare me as well. I have never taken them, although I have had a doctor recommend them once for some surgery i underwent. It really does depend on your tolerance for pain and your willingness to accept the limitations of non-narcotic painkillers.  Perhaps try with something non-narcotic first, and if you just can’t bear it, then be honest with yourself and your doctor and consider the next step.

Offline corbe

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2018, 02:08:49 am »
   Other than my past bad experience with pain meds I am somewhat bias because my Mother (85yo) has not recovered from stent placements and refuses to take pills because of her scare of addiction brought on by massive media concentration on the addicts and other troubled people, it hurts me to see her in such pain. 
   Maybe I should stop stealing all her pain meds she hides in her pillow case while she sleeps (just kidding). 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2018, 03:41:27 am »
Here is a personal observation from WA who passed recreational use after Colorado. The house across the street as well as two house down from it was bought with cash by a Chinese Drug Cartel who set up a very discrete but massive grow operation. Never knew it was happening other that the occasional whiff of something we thought was a skunk. From time to time a Uhaul Truck would be parked there for several days with nothing you could see going in or out of the truck. Then one afternoon SWAT raided the home, along with 55 other homes in Puget Sound. 16 large boxes of pot were removed.   Detectives told us the cartels are buying up homes and it has been happening sense it was legalized.

The house has been sitting empty for 8 months and because of the contamination will have to be taken down to the studs.   Shame. It was a nice home.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 03:43:28 am by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2018, 04:31:59 am »
I have potent ADHD. Weed slows me down which helps me focus. The other option to help with focus is stimulants like Adderall and Ritalin. I don't really like that stuff.

Yeah right... I have heard that one before. Many times.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2018, 01:18:54 pm »
Yeah right... I have heard that one before. Many times.
People certainly can come up with excuses in an attempt to justify certain irresponsible behaviors, can't they? My alcoholic brother insists he has to drink because he's depressed. No matter that drinking to the point of passing out or getting arrested for DUI tends to make one more depressed. A vicious cycle, to be sure.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2018, 01:32:01 pm »
People certainly can come up with excuses in an attempt to justify certain irresponsible behaviors, can't they? My alcoholic brother insists he has to drink because he's depressed. No matter that drinking to the point of passing out or getting arrested for DUI tends to make one more depressed. A vicious cycle, to be sure.

It seriously helps me. It helps other people too. Ritalin and Adderall are what the doctors would prescribe me and that stuff is literally a cousin of methamphetamine. The shit these doctors are peddling is way more dangerous and addictive. Also alcohol is a depressant and your brother needs an intervention.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:32:38 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2018, 01:36:15 pm »
It seriously helps me. It helps other people too. Ritalin and Adderall are what the doctors would prescribe me and that stuff is literally a cousin of methamphetamine. The shit these doctors are peddling is way more dangerous and addictive. Also alcohol is a depressant and your brother needs an intervention.
Yeah, he thinks the alcohol helps him, too.

Just for the record, we've done an intervention. He's been in detox and rehab several times - and immediately on his release, heads straight for the beer store or a bar every time.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Dexter

« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2018, 01:44:42 pm »
Yeah, he thinks the alcohol helps him, too.

The difference is different kinds of drugs really can help different people in different situations. Marijuana has medicinal uses. Without pot I'd never get anything done because every cloud and butterfly would distract me from my objectives.

Just for the record, we've done an intervention. He's been in detox and rehab several times - and immediately on his release, heads straight for the beer store or a bar every time.

I hope he figures his life out. Alcohol addiction is horrible for individuals and their families.
-Socrates

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2018, 06:16:23 pm »
Here is a personal observation from WA who passed recreational use after Colorado. The house across the street as well as two house down from it was bought with cash by a Chinese Drug Cartel who set up a very discrete but massive grow operation. Never knew it was happening other that the occasional whiff of something we thought was a skunk. From time to time a Uhaul Truck would be parked there for several days with nothing you could see going in or out of the truck. Then one afternoon SWAT raided the home, along with 55 other homes in Puget Sound. 16 large boxes of pot were removed.   Detectives told us the cartels are buying up homes and it has been happening sense it was legalized.

The house has been sitting empty for 8 months and because of the contamination will have to be taken down to the studs.   Shame. It was a nice home.
There is also the argument that people like to use that pot is safer than alcohol and point to all the driving deaths related to alcohol, which is horrendous. The only problem with their argument is a an almost total lack of comparison data, the one thing we do know is that in the states where pot has been legalized vehicle accidents and deaths due to impairment caused by pot use is increasing. It be some time before enough data (lives lost) can be collected before someone can make informed comparisons.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2018, 07:21:30 pm »

In April 2014, 19 year old foreign exchange student Levy Thamba plunged off a hotel balcony and died after eating legally purchased marijuana laced cookies. After eating just one cookie, Thamba became agitated and ran out onto the balcony and over the edge, falling to his death. The pot-laced cookies were legally purchased by a 21-year-old present at the gathering.

You know, I am not pro-MJ, and have not been around the stuff for 40 years, but one thing I do remember.....   Folks don't get agitated when doing it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Oceander

« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2018, 07:26:17 pm »
You know, I am not pro-MJ, and have not been around the stuff for 40 years, but one thing I do remember.....   Folks don't get agitated when doing it.

They can. It doesn’t happen often, but if it triggers a bout of paranoia, that could cause agitated behavior. 

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2018, 07:38:54 pm »
They can. It doesn’t happen often, but if it triggers a bout of paranoia, that could cause agitated behavior.

You obviously know more than I do on this subject, but 40 years ago I remember more of the opposite...  relaxation, red eyes, things were funny, crazy hunger, and music was 10X better than normal.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2018, 07:51:47 pm »
You obviously know more than I do on this subject, but 40 years ago I remember more of the opposite...  relaxation, red eyes, things were funny, crazy hunger, and music was 10X better than normal.

Most of the time smoking weed is exactly as you describe.
-Socrates

Offline corbe

« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2018, 07:54:36 pm »
   There are certain 'strains' out there that make you paranoid when you smoke them.  I have thought that @Emjay wanted me dead on a few occasions.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2018, 09:30:18 pm »
Strictly anecdotal, but I remember talking to two workmates who admitted smoking a lot of weed in their younger days.
When I asked them why they quit, both said they started getting paranoid.
I also have two siblings who smoked a lot of dope in their younger days. Both  were always far more argumentative, on edge than my other siblings.
If smoking dope relaxes a person and makes them more agreeable and less irritating, it didn't work on my dope-smoking siblings. Plus, they were my two most hardcore liberal siblings.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2018, 09:37:05 pm »

That's right - More's the pity - But, there but for the grace of God go I...
It usually takes something earthshaking to make someone aware that their 'normal' ain't normal.

Offline verga

« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2018, 10:10:06 pm »
@catfish1957 I have to disagree, I have seen some people get very paranoid and agitated while using. My Ex's cousin was a frequent user and she would get very paranoid. She was a total Beyotch and after a while, it became a game to me to mess with her while she was stoned. I would go up a window and sneak a peek outside like I was watching for something or out of the blue ask "Did anyone else hear that?" I could have her climbing the walls in 15 minutes or less sometimes. Ahh, the good old days.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline corbe

« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2018, 10:17:14 pm »
    That's downright cruel @verga and you should be sentenced to the maximum allowed for screwing with Stoners while Straight!

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2018, 02:15:50 pm »
    That's downright cruel @verga and you should be sentenced to the maximum allowed for screwing with Stoners while Straight!

I knew someone back in my teens that when she'd get stoned she would start tugging on our shirts and look at us very seriously and say "They know..."
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2018, 03:40:20 pm »
John fell to his death while high.

Rob fell and cracked his head open.  He lived, but with no memories.

Bob killed his best friend John in a van accident.

Aaron killed Chad in car accident.

Wayne died in a truck accident.

Chris and Chris drowned.

Mark got run over by a van.

But hey, pot's not dangerous.
Eight cherry-picked examples in a state of over five million people.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2018, 04:39:25 pm »
I strongly support recreational marijuana legalization and know from experience what both it and alcohol can do.  Each can a true pleasure when used in moderation.  Each can be abused,  and in this regard I'm convinced that booze is far more susceptible to harmful abuse, both to the individual and to the community at large, than weed.   Generally speaking,  I'd rather deal with a stranger who's stoned than dead drunk.  So would most cops, if you ask them.   

That said,  I have one major issue with marijuana legalization the way it has developed in Colorado.   I think marijuana should be smoked, not ingested as part of cookies,  brownies, etc.   It is almost impossible to "overdose" on smoked marijuana;  smoking permits effective titration/regulation of dosage.   Not so with edibles - it takes experience to know how much to consume.   Most of the examples of bad reactions to pot have been in the context of over-ingesting.   And how much useful information is provided with pot edibles regarding how powerful each item is?    My guess is little or nothing.   

If I were in charge of regulating marijuana,  I would ban edibles and limit legal sales to smoke-able or vaporizable pot. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2018, 05:07:36 pm »
@catfish1957 I have to disagree, I have seen some people get very paranoid and agitated while using. My Ex's cousin was a frequent user and she would get very paranoid. She was a total Beyotch and after a while, it became a game to me to mess with her while she was stoned. I would go up a window and sneak a peek outside like I was watching for something or out of the blue ask "Did anyone else hear that?" I could have her climbing the walls in 15 minutes or less sometimes. Ahh, the good old days.

I am hearing a lot anecdotal feedback that some have seen non-mellow stoners.  If that is the case, pot must have changed a lot in 40 years, because I never saw that side of the coin.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2018, 05:24:27 pm »
I am hearing a lot anecdotal feedback that some have seen non-mellow stoners.  If that is the case, pot must have changed a lot in 40 years, because I never saw that side of the coin.
Well, again it could be a correlation is not causation situation, but the time my siblings who smoked a lot of dope when they were younger did it, were doing it forty years ago. 
I have no idea what kind of dope they smoked, but both were prone to confrontations, shouting, screaming, etc. One, a younger brother, threw punches when agitated.
Unfortunately, my younger brother died a few years ago. He had gotten over a lot of his youthful  problems as he aged.
But both him and an older sister were still highly argumentative and loss of temper prone well after their teens. All I had to do to get my brother started was to mention Reagan. And I was still a Democrat at the time but liked some things Reagan was doing. I told my brother I didn't think Reagan was evil, and my brother threw a fit over the phone.
Would they have been like that without the heavy dope use? Maybe. But smoking dope certainly didn't calm them down.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2018, 06:31:46 pm »

@goodwithagun

Oxy and Hydro are only addictive if you take them when  you don't have pain.  I had found it most useful to log my doses to make sure the amount was going down, not up, and when it's zero you can stop completely.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: