Author Topic: The Paul Ryan Farewell Tour, With Dates in Virginia, D.C., and New York  (Read 474 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Paul Ryan Farewell Tour, With Dates in Virginia, D.C., and New York
Roll Call, Nov 28, 2018, Katherine Tully-McManus

Paul D. Ryan is embarking on an award- and portrait-studded farewell tour as he enjoys his last weeks leading the House, culminating in a stop at the Library of Congress, where he gave a maiden speech as speaker nearly three years ago to the date.

Since announcing in April that he wouldn’t run for re-election, the Wisconsin Republican and his staff have talked of the speaker “running through the tape” and saying goodbye at the appropriate time. Starting Wednesday, that time is apparently upon him.

It all starts over at the Pentagon on Wednesday, where Ryan will receive the Defense Department’s Distinguished Public Service Award.  Defense Secretary James Mattis will present the outgoing speaker with the honor, the highest one bestowed by the secretary on a private citizen, noncareer federal employee, foreign national or politician.

[...]

Next comes his swan song on the House floor, scheduled for Thursday at noon. He’ll focus on the constituents of Wisconsin’s 1st District, thanking them and his staff who work in his district offices in Janesville, Kenosha and Racine.

The House Budget Committee will get some new decor later the same day, when Ryan’s chairman portrait is unveiled.

[...]

The accolades for Ryan will continue into next week, when he will speak at a Hudson Institute gala in New York City. At the Monday night event, he will receive an award named for the institute’s founder, Herman Kahn. Vice President Mike Pence, former Vice President Dick Cheney and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu are among the previous recipients of the award.

To cap it all off, Ryan will give a farewell address on Dec. 5 in the Great Hall of the Library of Congress, the same spot where he gave a speech shortly after becoming speaker in Dec. 2015.

More:  https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/paul-ryan-farewell-tour-to-get-underway

Re: The Paul Ryan Farewell Tour, With Dates in Virginia, D.C., and New York
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:49:53 pm »
Just go.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 01:10:13 pm »
Just go.

My thoughts exactly. 

With Romney recently creating a PAC and Ryan going on a 'farewell tour' it certainly seems like the two may be setting the stage to challenge Trump in 2020 which would be a total disaster and hand the DEMS the WH.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 01:34:39 pm »
An appropriate farewell tour would entail him standing on the stage, saying and doing nothing.  That pretty much sums up his tenure.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 02:44:43 pm »
Who does Ryan think he is?  Hillary?

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2018, 03:10:47 pm »
Did he lead the House? I guess-in the wrong direction. I wonder if he'll run for President as the democrat he is.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:28:14 pm »
Did he lead the House? I guess-in the wrong direction. I wonder if he'll run for President as the democrat he is.

Count on it. I predict he and Romney will run against Trump in 2020.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 12:30:52 am »
Count on it. I predict he and Romney will run against Trump in 2020.

That would be a disastrous repeat of 1992, when the Democratic candidate would slide in electorally, with only around 43% of the vote.  I predict endless House investigations and other factors like gridlock and ennui will make Trump decide not to run in 2020.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 12:44:57 am by edpc »

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 01:28:09 am »

That would be a disastrous repeat of 1992, when the Democratic candidate would slide in electorally, with only around 43% of the vote.  I predict endless House investigations and other factors like gridlock and ennui will make Trump decide not to run in 2020.

That's always a possibility, and he's certainly not getting any younger.  Though it seems he thrives on stress and problem solving and he doesn't seem like a quitter.  He has 2 very tough years ahead of him though; tougher then what he's already been through. 

Who does the GOP have to run?  After what people in his own party have put Trump through and the liberal leftist corruption in full gear, who would be good enough and crazy enough to run?  I can't think of anyone on the GOP side.  Notta.

Offline edpc

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 01:42:23 am »
That's always a possibility, and he's certainly not getting any younger.  Though it seems he thrives on stress and problem solving and he doesn't seem like a quitter.  He has 2 very tough years ahead of him though; tougher then what he's already been through. 

Who does the GOP have to run?  After what people in his own party have put Trump through and the liberal leftist corruption in full gear, who would be good enough and crazy enough to run?  I can't think of anyone on the GOP side.  Notta.

I’m basing my supposition on an endless tide of subpoenas and no meaningful legislation being passed between Jan 2019 and summer 2020. Then, I think he’ll decide he’d rather golf and endorse Pence as his successor. As far as the GOP future, who knows? The one guy I liked in the past was Thune, but I don’t know if he has WH aspirations. Someone I like that may in the near future is Tom Cotton.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 01:59:01 am »

The President is running for reelection in 2020 .... the dimwits will thrown the kitchen sink at him, but this is Trump.   :laugh: