Author Topic: Oakland University: Faculty trained to use hockey pucks to thwart shooters  (Read 564 times)

Offline mountaineer

Faculty trained to use hockey pucks to thwart shooters
Published: 11/27/18 08:00 pm EST
Updated: 11/27/18 09:08 pm EST

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. (AP) — Faculty members at Oakland University in suburban Detroit have received hockey pucks and are being trained to use them to potentially thwart active shooters.

WDIV-TV reports the American Association of University Professors distributed pucks to its 800 members.

University Police Chief Mark Gordon says to fight effectively, faculty and students need to be prepared to throw heavy objects that will cause a distraction. Gordon says pucks fit the bill and can conveniently be carried in brief cases or backpacks.

The faculty union also is working with student groups to distribute an additional 1,700 pucks to students. 
Link

The WDIV-TV story goes into more detail.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: Oakland University: Faculty trained to use hockey pucks to thwart shooters
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 01:48:15 pm »
Dumb pucks.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:17:43 pm »
Where's Don Rickles when you need him?

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 02:25:40 pm »
That really is comedy...if weren't so sad. If I have a weapon (of any kind) and the other guy has a hockey puck, as his defensive weapon, that is worse than nothing. Because he/she will attract my attention to them for about a half second, before I fire. As a shooter the guy is there to kill. As a faculty member, they are there to play patty-cake games with the active shooter. This will not end well.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:46:02 pm »
That’s sorta like the old Murphy’s Law saying: “a Smith & Wesson beats four aces”
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

rangerrebew

Michigan university gives professors hockey pucks to fight off shooters
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 06:37:28 pm »
 Michigan university gives professors hockey pucks to fight off shooters
Daniel Payne - Assistant Editor •November 28, 2018

Instead of, you know, guns

A university in Michigan is taking a novel approach to the threat of school shooters, outfitting its faculty with hockey pucks in order to protect against potential mass murderers armed with firearms.

The weaponized pucks at Oakland University are “a ‘last resort’ precaution to throw at any active shooters on campus,” The Detroit News reports.

According to the university’s police chief, the program stemmed from an idea raised during an active shooter training session, in which “one attendee asked what staff and students could bring to prepare themselves for a fight.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/michigan-university-gives-professors-hockey-pucks-to-fight-off-shooters/

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Michigan university gives professors hockey pucks to fight off shooters
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 07:02:50 pm »
I wonder if Don Rickles would approve?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Michigan university gives professors hockey pucks to fight off shooters
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 08:19:51 pm »
I wonder if Don Rickles would approve?

"What a hockey puck"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2018, 09:39:37 pm »
As I've mentioned before, Mr. M and I are on a church security team. We will be carrying actual firearms to church, just in case a bad guy with a gun comes in and starts shooting. Yes, we could throw hymnbooks at him, but they're really no more effective than hockey pucks.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2018, 09:48:35 pm »
Where's Don Rickles when you need him?

Or the Hansons.....