Author Topic: Extreme heat increasing in both summer and winter  (Read 9097 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Extreme heat increasing in both summer and winter
« Reply #75 on: November 29, 2018, 01:49:47 pm »
I think @Dexter's situation here is that he's posting on a conservative board.  He knows, without a scintilla of doubt, that conservatives could never be smart enough to understand E=mc2 and the math behind it.  Therefore, AGW is clearly real. 

Oceander

« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2018, 01:52:12 pm »
I think @Dexter's situation here is that he's posting on a conservative board.  He knows, without a scintilla of doubt, that conservatives could never be smart enough to understand E=mc2 and the math behind it.  Therefore, AGW is clearly real. 

E=mc^2?  Doesn’t that mean Elections = money times coolness squared?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2018, 01:53:58 pm »
E=mc^2?  Doesn’t that mean Elections = money times coolness squared?

See, we're good then.  We have got the coolness factor squared.  Heck, even cubed.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2018, 01:55:22 pm »

That’s basically the problem here...... the assumption that conservatives are stupid.

He doesn’t know the kind of minds he’s up against here. (Not mine, btw. My IQ is high, but my math skills are limited to music theory!  happy77)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #79 on: November 29, 2018, 01:56:22 pm »

The problem is you're all too damn smart to accept that there are a lot of things you don't understand, and that despite your impressive intelligence there are still a lot of people that would make all of us look objectively stupid by comparison.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline thackney

« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2018, 01:57:28 pm »
Climate scientists the world over have compiled their collective data and 97% have come to the conclusion that human emissions are impacting the climate.

@Dexter

Myth

'97% Of Climate Scientists Agree' Is 100% Wrong
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/#6baf50be3f9f

...This is a fairly clear statement—97 percent of the papers surveyed endorsed the view that man-made greenhouse gases were the main cause—main in common usage meaning more than 50 percent.

But even a quick scan of the paper reveals that this is not the case. Cook is able to demonstrate only that a relative handful endorse “the view that the Earth is warming up and human emissions of greenhouse gases are the main cause.” Cook calls this “explicit endorsement with quantification” (quantification meaning 50 percent or more). The problem is, only a small percentage of the papers fall into this category; Cook does not say what percentage, but when the study was publicly challenged by economist David Friedman, one observer calculated that only 1.6 percent explicitly stated that man-made greenhouse gases caused at least 50 percent of global warming.

Where did most of the 97 percent come from, then? Cook had created a category called “explicit endorsement without quantification”—that is, papers in which the author, by Cook’s admission, did not say whether 1 percent or 50 percent or 100 percent of the warming was caused by man. He had also created a category called “implicit endorsement,” for papers that imply (but don’t say) that there is some man-made global warming and don’t quantify it. In other words, he created two categories that he labeled as endorsing a view that they most certainly didn’t....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Dexter

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2018, 01:58:45 pm »
@Sanguine is an educated scientist, you are not, and yet you exerted a great deal of effort basically calling her stupid because she doesn’t believe conclusions based on faulty data.

You really ARE a masochist, aren’t you??  :shrug:

Stupidity and ignorance are completely different things. There are people in the world that can't read that possess intelligence I could only dream of.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2018, 01:59:28 pm »
@Dexter

Myth

'97% Of Climate Scientists Agree' Is 100% Wrong
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alexepstein/2015/01/06/97-of-climate-scientists-agree-is-100-wrong/#6baf50be3f9f

...This is a fairly clear statement—97 percent of the papers surveyed endorsed the view that man-made greenhouse gases were the main cause—main in common usage meaning more than 50 percent.

But even a quick scan of the paper reveals that this is not the case. Cook is able to demonstrate only that a relative handful endorse “the view that the Earth is warming up and human emissions of greenhouse gases are the main cause.” Cook calls this “explicit endorsement with quantification” (quantification meaning 50 percent or more). The problem is, only a small percentage of the papers fall into this category; Cook does not say what percentage, but when the study was publicly challenged by economist David Friedman, one observer calculated that only 1.6 percent explicitly stated that man-made greenhouse gases caused at least 50 percent of global warming.

Where did most of the 97 percent come from, then? Cook had created a category called “explicit endorsement without quantification”—that is, papers in which the author, by Cook’s admission, did not say whether 1 percent or 50 percent or 100 percent of the warming was caused by man. He had also created a category called “implicit endorsement,” for papers that imply (but don’t say) that there is some man-made global warming and don’t quantify it. In other words, he created two categories that he labeled as endorsing a view that they most certainly didn’t....

I already addressed how that article is intentionally deceiving you.

EDIT: And a lot of the studies skeptics point at are ancient by scientific standards.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:00:28 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline thackney

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2018, 02:01:42 pm »
I already addressed how that article is intentionally deceiving you.

EDIT: And a lot of the studies skeptics point at are ancient by scientific standards.

The Myth of the Climate Change '97%'
https://www.wsj.com/articles/joseph-bast-and-roy-spencer-the-myth-of-the-climate-change-97-1401145980

The 97 Percent Solution
https://www.nationalreview.com/2015/10/climate-change-no-its-not-97-percent-consensus-ian-tuttle/

Repeating a lie does not make it true.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 02:02:24 pm by thackney »

Offline Dexter

« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2018, 02:03:17 pm »
-Socrates

Offline thackney

« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2018, 02:06:03 pm »
You are being misled and I have already explained how.

No, you have not.  You must not understand the multiple surveys that have come since that show the 97% is not close to true.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2018, 02:06:44 pm »
The problem is you're all too damn smart to accept that there are a lot of things you don't understand, and that despite your impressive intelligence there are still a lot of people that would make all of us look objectively stupid by comparison.

We're too smart to know that we're not smart?  Sort of Dunning-Kruger for smart people?  Interesting thought on your part.

And, yes, there are a lot of people smarter than me in this world.  Now, back to the issue at hand - does the data support AGW or not?  You've been given a large number of excellent reason to say "no", but you claim we can't understand why they are wrong.   :shrug:

Offline Dexter

« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2018, 02:11:04 pm »
We're too smart to know that we're not smart? 

Intelligence makes people arrogant. It took going to a university filled with people WAY smarter than me to understand that. People don't understand how much they don't know. It's completely ridiculous for you to say with a straight face that scientists are not analyzing climate data correctly.
-Socrates

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2018, 02:14:40 pm »
We're too smart to know that we're not smart?  Sort of Dunning-Kruger for smart people?  Interesting thought on your part.

And, yes, there are a lot of people smarter than me in this world.  Now, back to the issue at hand - does the data support AGW or not?  You've been given a large number of excellent reason to say "no", but you claim we can't understand why they are wrong.   :shrug:

We are smart enough to know that data collected over a very small slice of the Earth's history is insufficient to draw ANY conclusions even if the data was entirely good which it decidedly is not!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2018, 02:17:22 pm »
Intelligence makes people arrogant. It took going to a university filled with people WAY smarter than me to understand that. People don't understand how much they don't know. It's completely ridiculous for you to say with a straight face that scientists are not analyzing climate data correctly.

@Dexter, I hate to break to you, but there are a large number of people on this board who have gone to big universities.  And, others who have not gone to a big university but have had a good education.  Why have you assumed otherwise?

Offline Dexter

« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2018, 02:19:02 pm »
@Dexter, I hate to break to you, but there are a large number of people on this board who have gone to big universities.  And, others who have not gone to a big university but have had a good education.  Why have you assumed otherwise?

If you went to a big university you should understand how little of this world any one person is actually capable of understanding.
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2018, 02:20:37 pm »
"If I saw further than other men, it was because I stood on the shoulders of giants."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2018, 02:33:55 pm »
If I thought the people here were stupid I wouldn't be here. I respect you all a great deal. That's why I want to do this right now.  9999hair out0000
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2018, 02:53:54 pm »
If you went to a big university you should understand how little of this world any one person is actually capable of understanding.

Ummmm, I did go to a big university.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2018, 02:55:48 pm »
Stupidity and ignorance are completely different things. There are people in the world that can't read that possess intelligence I could only dream of.

I agree that stupidity and ignorance are completely different things.

You are not at all stupid, and yet believe what you have been told to believe without discernment.

Critical thinking skills are very rare in your generation.  Open your mind and you'll begin to understand what the people on this forum already know.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2018, 02:58:00 pm »
If I thought the people here were stupid I wouldn't be here. I respect you all a great deal. That's why I want to do this right now.  9999hair out0000

What?  Share your indoctrination with educated, intelligent, well-informed people?

We KNOW about your indoctrination, Dexter.  You're not revealing anything new to us here.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2018, 02:59:56 pm »

You are not at all stupid, and yet believe what you have been told to believe without discernment.

Critical thinking skills are very rare in your generation.  Open your mind and you'll begin to understand what the people on this forum already know.

She's right you know, Dex.  For some reason you have a very closed mind.  Facts seem to bounce right off of it.  Take a leap of faith and open it up for a bit.  You will learn something.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2018, 03:03:22 pm »
Going to school is irrelevant to the discussion of whether Global Warming is real. We have been hearing about GW for over a decade. The dire predictions have proven to be false. I even saw a FB meme "proving" that Global Warming was causing Global Cooling.
At some point, you just quit taking it seriously. It's like the Russian Collusion story. If it were true, we would have found the proof after a year and a half.
Bread and circuses.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline skeeter

« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2018, 03:06:24 pm »

Amen and amen.

Offline thackney

« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2018, 03:07:42 pm »

I attended the third largest university campus in the US.  I've lived/worked in other countries.  I've traveled enough to have multiple years of over 100,000 airline miles.  People have paid me for decades to solve problems not easily resolved or documented.  I have a bit more critical thinking and evaluation experience than the average person.

If you cannot see the obvious manipulation and agenda-driven result in the claim you are repeating, I suggest you try evaluating the arguments made by multiple sources from different point again.