Author Topic: Extreme heat increasing in both summer and winter  (Read 9083 times)

Offline thackney

Re: Extreme heat increasing in both summer and winter
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2018, 09:49:40 pm »
I am a huge nuclear advocate. I actually got into a huge disagreement with my dad who is horrified of AGW but not willing to make use of the absolute best source of efficient and clean energy we have.

I would have become a nuclear engineer, took some of that as technical electives back in the late 1980s.  But it was becoming clear that the US politics and fear-mongering by the liberals was going to really limit the industry.  I went electrical power engineering instead using that in the oil/gas/petrochem industry after being bored to death in the utility business.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #151 on: November 30, 2018, 12:38:02 am »
Why do you trust research funded by the very business people that are pushing for open borders? Even Bernie Sanders isn't talking about that.

You misunderstand.
Always:
Trust but verify.

It is ALL about verity.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #152 on: November 30, 2018, 12:41:56 am »
I'll agree. You are a stupid person who doesn't have the intellectual heft to handle concepts past those on Sesame Street. Feel better now?

:silly:
We'll call that an 'open handed outreach'... Leave it to Frank to adopt a welcoming stance.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #153 on: November 30, 2018, 12:47:09 am »
I am a huge nuclear advocate. I actually got into a heated disagreement with my dad who is horrified of AGW but not willing to make use of the absolute best source of efficient and clean energy we have.

I am not. We make a big enough mess with petroleum, but that can be cleaned up...
Until there is an excellent means of making spent fuel rods 100% inert, I will not be for nuclear fuel. And even at that, the environmental catastrophe that happens when a plant melts down makes it dang hard for me to imagine the kind of distribution that could be possible.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2018, 12:48:43 am »
I am not. We make a big enough mess with petroleum, but that can be cleaned up...
Until there is an excellent means of making spent fuel rods 100% inert, I will not be for nuclear fuel. And even at that, the environmental catastrophe that happens when a plant melts down makes it dang hard for me to imagine the kind of distribution that could be possible.

Maybe we could build some nuclear power plants in some of that endless land you've told me about.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #155 on: November 30, 2018, 12:55:33 am »
Maybe we could build some nuclear power plants in some of that endless land you've told me about.

Good God, no! Chernobyl is all I need to know as to why that crap don't belong - Here of all places.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #156 on: November 30, 2018, 01:07:22 am »

Generating power out in the middle of nowhere, where no one needs it, doesn't really make sense.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #157 on: November 30, 2018, 01:15:36 am »
:silly:
We'll call that an 'open handed outreach'... Leave it to Frank to adopt a welcoming stance.

As the Forum Ambassador I do my best to foster a sense of friendship and positive feelings on the board. It's just what I do.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #158 on: November 30, 2018, 01:45:48 am »
As the Forum Ambassador I do my best to foster a sense of friendship and positive feelings on the board. It's just what I do.

Yeah, if ti wasn't for you I'd be a riproaring cranky bitch to everyone.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #159 on: November 30, 2018, 01:50:09 am »

Oh.   888mouth

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #160 on: November 30, 2018, 01:54:40 am »
Oh.   888mouth

:laugh:  I know, it's hard to imagine me being a cranky bitch.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #161 on: November 30, 2018, 02:53:21 am »
If we actually funded more research we could probably solve that problem. They have reactors now that can make use of recycled waste. Improve that technology. Also we could launch that stuff into space in blast proof containers.
First, little progress has been made since I heard a talk on the matter in Toronto at the GAC/MAC/GSA convention Short Course on Uranium Mineralogy. We really don't have a solution that doesn't have problems. There have been no real new ideas since then, mainly because the geology of the planet just hasn't changed that much since '78.

As for shooting high level nuclear waste into space, not only is it heavy, but one launch failure would make a mess. Unlikely? One in 50 shuttle missions ended in disaster. (Challenger, Columbia), so shooting our messes into the great beyond is a non-starter.

Keep in mind every atom you split produces at least two more unstable (radioactive) atoms.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #162 on: November 30, 2018, 03:18:11 am »
mainly because the geology of the planet just hasn't changed that much since '78.

Gee, ya think?

:beer:

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #163 on: November 30, 2018, 03:59:26 am »