Author Topic: Remedial Education Too Common and Costly, Report Says  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Remedial Education Too Common and Costly, Report Says
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2018, 09:35:10 pm »
I dreamed of being an educator. My old man is one. It's too bleep up and it doesn't pay enough, though. I'm going to make sure my descendants don't have to worry about how they will afford an education or where they can afford to live. I can't achieve that as an educator.

I would never be a Teacher anyway.  I'm not cut out for it. yogi555
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2018, 09:41:27 pm »
Please feel free to put my overconfidence in its place with detailed explanations of anything I am blatantly wrong about. I offer no guarantees that I will agree with what you say, but I'll do my best.

How about simply answering the question about YOUR education and work experience?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2018, 09:44:24 pm »
How about simply answering the question about YOUR education and work experience?

I don't think it matters because when it comes to things like global warming I don't say anything that's not backed up by the words of experts.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2018, 09:45:41 pm »
:happyhappy:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline the_doc

« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2018, 09:46:36 pm »

I honestly think I could be a first-rate HS teacher, but the schools don't really need outstanding teachers.  They just need pretty good teachers who are given guidelines--and in some cases, permission--to teach the right stuff and to uphold proper standards of learning.  And they need to quit terrorizing the teachers by blaming them when completely rotten little Johnny refuses to learn to read.  ("No child left behind"?  I say teachers ought to be able to set the bar pretty high for passing and promotion.  [Eventually, parents and kids would get the right idea.])

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2018, 09:54:27 pm »
Kinda puts a damper on the idea of the gov't taking over universities also, huh?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2018, 10:10:37 pm »
I don't think it matters because when it comes to things like global warming I don't say anything that's not backed up by the words of experts.

@the_doc, @Dexter is a believer in AGW, because the "experts" say it is so.  The fact that the evidence fails to back up the "expert consensus" and consensus is not how science works appears to not be a compelling argument for Dex.  And, Dexter, please correct me if I have any of your opinion on the subject wrong.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2018, 10:11:44 pm »

Because you would steal their PB&Js?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2018, 10:14:22 pm »
What is your educational and work experience in the fields of science, math, statistics, probability,physics, meteorology, geology, oceanography?

How deo you determine an "expert" from a pseudo-scientist?

Do you accept opinions from the popular media,and politicians, as scientific fact, or do you have curiosity to search for the truth yourself?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Dexter

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2018, 10:17:51 pm »
How deo you determine an "expert" from a pseudo-scientist?

A consensus doesn't make something a fact, but when the vast majority of the most qualified people are saying the same thing we should take them seriously.
-Socrates

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2018, 10:19:20 pm »
Kinda puts a damper on the idea of the gov't taking over universities also, huh?

Well, it should, but I find comments by left-wingers (not just here) distressing because nobody wants to learn that lesson.  They all want to soldier forward for the ideological cause.  Most common argument I hear?  "Hey, the Feds are already in on it, so there's not a damned thing you righties can do about it...LOL!  Suck it!  (Cut to excerpt from Carole King's 'It's too late, baby!')"

My experiences (there's that word again) might explain some of my comments on this thread.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2018, 10:27:11 pm »
A consensus doesn't make something a fact, but when the vast majority of the most qualified people are saying the same thing we should take them seriously.

Or, as I call it, the "Consensus Method of Scientific Discovery."  If I could line up a group of 100 "Experts" and 90% of them agree the Earth is flat, then it's flat. 

That is how seriously I take climate experts.  The scientific methods I grew up with don't agree with Consensus Theory.  The more experts are pushed at me without supporting evidence, the more I will be inclined to reject their analysis.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2018, 10:28:36 pm »
Or, as I call it, the "Consensus Method of Scientific Discovery."  If I could line up a group of 100 "Experts" and 90% of them agree the Earth is flat, then it's flat. 

That is how seriously I take climate experts.  The scientific methods I grew up with don't agree with Consensus Theory.  The more experts are pushed at me without supporting evidence, the more I will be inclined to reject their analysis.

Does the heliocentrism consensus mean nothing? Might the sun actually revolve around the Earth?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:35:17 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Offline the_doc

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2018, 10:31:36 pm »

It seems to me that the vast majority of the most qualified people do not endorse AGW.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2018, 10:34:04 pm »

It seems to me that the vast majority of the most qualified people do not endorse AGW.

Preposterous.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2018, 10:40:38 pm »
Preposterous.

Nope.  Doc is correct. 

Most of the people who support AGW are NOT climate scientists, and those who do not support AGW do not make the news.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2018, 10:54:03 pm »
Nope.  Doc is correct. 

Most of the people who support AGW are NOT climate scientists, and those who do not support AGW do not make the news.

You mean Neil DG Tyson the Astronomer and Bill Nye the Mechanical Engineer Guy don't count?  Fooey!
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2018, 11:12:15 pm »
It's a shame that enormous classrooms, limited supplies and shitty pay are mitigating the quality of our public education.

Yeah.. and the average kid costs 10k per year in taxes

Funny thing, when I was on top of things, I paid $3500 per year for top-shelf private christian education for my kids (while still having to pay for crappy public education I wasn't using). The education was so far superior that when I fell ill and could no longer afford the christian school, and my kids transferred to public school, my kids coasted for, on average, two YEARS till the public school started covering things they hadn't already learned.

Then folks wonder why I am against government funded education...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2018, 11:15:52 pm »
I'm fine with the states handling it as long as certain standards are met, like the average child being able to read and write within a reasonable amount of time.

That standard is not being met now. No where near it. What, some %45 graduating high school are functionally illiterate? You really want to keep throwing money down that hole?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2018, 11:19:52 pm »
You mean Neil DG Tyson the Astronomer and Bill Nye the Mechanical Engineer Guy don't count?  Fooey!

Exactly who I was thinking of!  And, don't forget Al Gore and the Big 0.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2018, 11:22:44 pm »
Now, there you go again, Dex.  Stand up straight, clean your room and be of good cheer.  We adults will try to fix things for you.

Been listening to Jordan Peterson I see... :D

Offline the_doc

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2018, 11:27:40 pm »
Exactly who I was thinking of!  And, don't forget Al Gore and the Big 0.

Don't forget Moonbeam. 

Offline Dexter

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2018, 11:33:31 pm »
Nope.  Doc is correct. 

I think the more important detail is that almost all climate scientists agree with AGW to varying degrees.
-Socrates

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2018, 11:44:48 pm »
Been listening to Jordan Peterson I see... :D

Somebody got it!   :beer:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2018, 11:48:38 pm »
I think the more important detail is that almost all climate scientists agree with AGW to varying degrees.

Doesn't matter who agrees. What matters is the data, and the data is not only questionable, and provably altered, but when all that is corrected, it shows *no* warming.