Author Topic: Hyde-Smith co-sponsored resolution honoring confederate soldier for 'defending homeland:' CNN  (Read 1206 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hyde-Smith co-sponsored resolution honoring confederate soldier for 'defending homeland:' CNN
By John Bowden - 11/24/18 09:48 PM EST

Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.) reportedly co-sponsored a resolution in Mississippi's state Senate in 2007 that among other things honored a Confederate soldier for his efforts to "defend his homeland."

CNN's KFile reported Hyde-Smith co-sponsored a resolution honoring Effie Lucille Nicholson Pharr, a then-92-year-old Mississippi resident whose father, Thomas Jefferson Nicholson, served as a soldier in the Confederate army.

The resolution, which can be found online, refers to Nicholson Pharr as "the last known living 'Real Daughter' of the Confederacy living in Mississippi" and to her father's work to "defend his homeland and contribut[e] to the rebuilding of the country" during and after the war.

"[T]his resolution -- which ostensibly is about honoring the 'daughter' -- really seems to be an excuse to glorify the Confederate cause," Nina Silber, president of the Society of Civil War Historians told CNN about the resolution.

It "rests on an odd combination of perpetuating both the Confederate legacy and the idea that this was not really in conflict with being a good citizen of the nation," she added.

The senator's campaign did not immediately return a request for comment from The Hill on her support for the resolution.

Hyde-Smith has faced a barrage of controversies about race in recent days due to controversial statements made by the senator, who is facing Democrat Mike Espy in a runoff election for her seat on Tuesday.

The senator was criticized for joking that she would attend a "public hanging" when prompted by a supporter during a campaign event, and battled reports Saturday that she attended a school in her youth specifically designed to avoid integration of Mississippi public schools during the civil rights era.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/418100-hyde-smith-co-sponsored-resolution-honoring-confederate-soldier-for
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
There goes that seat..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline HoustonSam

• "That'll be the day......"
  • old times there are not forgotten
There goes that seat..

Maybe not.  A lot of people in Mississippi will identify with what she is saying, regardless of how it sounds to a larger national audience.  Of course her comments will draw negative outside attention, but again that outside attention might work as much to her advantage as not.
James 1:20

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Maybe not.  A lot of people in Mississippi will identify with what she is saying, regardless of how it sounds to a larger national audience.  Of course her comments will draw negative outside attention, but again that outside attention might work as much to her advantage as not.

Hope you're right..this with her recent comment about *public hangings* sure doesn't look good....the rats are out to get her
Support the USO

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Agreed.  Besides MS has a history of very low black voter turn out.  But then that is because of the bad gop party suppressing the black vote.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
"...seems to be..."

More "feels" vs. truth about history...this Nation is in deep shit right now because of "feelings"...spit.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline WarmPotato

• TheWarmPotato
  • Follow WarmPotato on YTB
    • My Youtube Channel
more confederate talk? What a yawn!
Check out my youtube Channel!

https://youtu.be/b6E3JS3Dmaw

Offline MajorClay

Hit piece after hit piece.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

RRH Elections Mississippi Senate Runoff Poll: Cindy Hyde-Smith (R) Leads Mike Espy (D) 54-44
https://rrhelections.com/index.php/2018/11/25/rrh-elections-mississippi-senate-runoff-poll-cindy-hyde-smith-r-leads-mike-espy-d-54-44/
Support the USO

Offline Full Nelson

I think she will win. I don't see her opponent offering anything positive. Is she ahead in the polls?

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The election is tomorrow.   Hop the MS pubs are motivated and get out to vote.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline cato potatoe

Hit piece after hit piece.

Most always by male journalists.  Liberal men like their executions done in private, just like their Grindr appointments.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Caught this, I don't think this is outright wrong either.

https://twitter.com/real_farmacist/status/1066875450163716096

BUT... Mississippi is at a bit of a cross-roads demographically as well, in its history. If not now, a few years from now, not like Alabama and remind me of how Roy Moore did? I guess, people must have really viewed him like kryptonite.

Offline jpsb

There goes that seat..

That depends on who is counting the votes.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
MLB, yes, that's Major League Baseball, Pfizer, Walmart and some other businesses withdrew their donations from her.  I think it was mainly over this resolution and that remark about a public hanging probably played into their decisions as well.