Author Topic: The Homeless Crisis Is Getting Worse in America’s Richest Cities  (Read 505 times)

rangerrebew

The Homeless Crisis Is Getting Worse in America’s Richest Cities

Noah Buhayar
    Esmé E. Deprez

November 20 2018, 7:00 AM
November 21 2018, 12:36 PM

(Bloomberg Businessweek) -- It was just after 10 p.m. on an overcast September night in Los Angeles, and L. was tired from a long day of class prep, teaching, and grading papers. So the 57-year-old anthropology professor fed her Chihuahua-dachshund mix a freeze-dried chicken strip, swapped her cigarette trousers for stretchy black yoga pants, and began to unfold a set of white sheets and a beige cotton blanket to make up her bed.

But first she had to recline the passenger seat of her 2015 Nissan Leaf as far as it would go—that being her bed in the parking lot she’d called home for almost three months. The Late Show with Stephen Colbert was playing on her iPad as she drifted off for another night. “Like sleeping on an airplane—but not in first class,” she said. That was in part by design. “I don’t want to get more comfortable. I want to get out of here.”

https://www.bloombergquint.com/global-economics/the-homeless-crisis-is-getting-worse-in-america-s-richest-cities#gs.WtO7u2M

Offline Night Hides Not

Re: The Homeless Crisis Is Getting Worse in America’s Richest Cities
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 05:17:53 pm »
America's "richest" cities are also run by Democrats. There's a lesson in there, but voters are too obtuse to see it.

Where was this article when Obama was President? The homeless problem has been worsening for years, this isn't Trump's fault.

ETA: plenty of professors are needed at CC's in Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico. The prof needs to gas up her Leaf (or recharge), and move out of CA.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 05:19:43 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 05:27:16 pm »
Have more programs in cities to help the homeless. Attract more homeless
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2018, 05:32:34 pm »

The weather's better in Cali, too!  No one wants to be in Texas during the summer time, it's a self regulating feature of the Lone Star State. lol
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 02:17:06 am »
This is another example of the government, be it, local, state or federal, creating the law of unintended consequences with their noble deeds
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 02:22:35 am »
It is incredulous.  But if you think about it is a Rat paradise. Homelessness. Defalcation. Panhandling. Life is good.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 02:38:40 am »

It actually has more to do with idiocies like rent control and quasi-extortionate zoning and building codes that essentially make it impossible to build decent housing on the scale required.  And no, I’m not talking about “affordable housing” which is just a dog whistle for subsidized housing, I’m talking about regular apartments with a market rate rent that middle class folks can afford.  Every one of these cities have these sorts of idiotic laws.  The only people who benefit are the rich white liberals who wrote the laws, and the luxury condo and coop developers. 

Online The_Reader_David

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 02:41:17 am »

Actually, it's have rent control, destroy the rental housing market, create homeless people.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 02:45:24 am »
Actually, it's have rent control, destroy the rental housing market, create homeless people.

It’s not just rent control; it’s also zoning and the building permitting process.