Author Topic: The killer robot arms race is upon us  (Read 200 times)

rangerrebew

The killer robot arms race is upon us
« on: November 25, 2018, 01:20:07 pm »

The killer robot arms race is upon us
Autonomous tanks, coming soon to a battlefield near you.
Drew Millard
Nov—24—2018 04:31PM EST

For too long, we have lived in a future that has given us bupkis. Yeah, we’ve gotten faster internet and phones that can do more stuff, but ultimately, high-speed internet and increasingly sophisticated mobile devices are just ways that companies can more efficiently command our attention and sell us ads. I’d gladly trade the ability to design a custom pair of Nikes in one app while doing my taxes in another for some sort of new object that, even if it doesn’t really have a point, is a thing that has never existed before.

This, I think, is the main reason that I really want to buy myself a toy robot for Christmas. Watching a little machine autonomously zip around the floor while freaking out my dog would bring me more joy than I can possibly describe, and even if my dog didn’t end up befriending it (related: my greatest dream in life is giving my dog a robot best friend) and instead hated it so much that I could never actually play with it, it would be worth it — if only because it would offer true confirmation that I was, in fact, living in the future.

https://theoutline.com/post/6628/the-killer-robot-arms-race-is-upon-us?zd=2&zi=an6fgvff
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 01:20:46 pm by rangerrebew »