Author Topic: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits  (Read 30781 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Re: Why Most of America Is Terrible at Making Biscuits
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2018, 10:54:41 pm »

Pfft, Writing Explained, like anyone believes that left-wing rag.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2018, 11:17:38 pm »
Another brand made with soft wheat:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2018, 01:25:19 am »
My aunts down in TN and AL could make some amazing biscuits. My aunt Margie made ones my grandpa called 'cat head' biscuits because they were as big 'as a tom cat's head.'

The cathead biscuit is normally the left over - not enough to make another biscuit without leaving so little as to be unable to make yet another - So the leftovers are left as one, and normally, with every family I know anyway, the cathead goes in the center of the pan.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2018, 01:50:57 am »
The cathead biscuit is normally the left over - not enough to make another biscuit without leaving so little as to be unable to make yet another - So the leftovers are left as one, and normally, with every family I know anyway, the cathead goes in the center of the pan.

Sounds like the opposite of the dog waffle, that ugly mishapen thing that I force my dogs to eat which is made from the last partial portion of waffle batter.

Fortunately my dogs are really cool and pretend they actually like it.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2018, 02:14:38 am »
Sounds like the opposite of the dog waffle, that ugly mishapen thing that I force my dogs to eat which is made from the last partial portion of waffle batter.

Your dogs are cats if they don't.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2018, 02:34:31 am »

Yeah... normally I get the cathead biscuit... I don't like how that squares with your analogy...  :pondering:

:cool:

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2018, 03:36:15 am »
OK Roos, All:

The tipping thread leaves me with a question that may fit better here:

I get crappy freezer pizzas, primarily because of the frozen dough. I always have to put on more ingredients to make it decent... And only decent, because the crust is not all that good.

Does anyone have a pizza dough recipe that will either freeze raw and flat (already formed, and maybe loaded with ingredients) or that will freeze after being proofed (and maybe loaded with ingredients) ?

The idea being to make my own not-so-crappy freezer pizza replacement (suitable likewise for calzones, etc)...

I already do pizza dough from a tube, but the problem with those tubes (of any kind) is that they (suck and) don't store for long... Or at least, I don't know how to make em store for long...

@RoosGirl
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 03:37:52 am by roamer_1 »

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2018, 03:42:15 am »
OK Roos, All:

The tipping thread leaves me with a question that may fit better here:

I get crappy freezer pizzas, primarily because of the frozen dough. I always have to put on more ingredients to make it decent... And only decent, because the crust is not all that good.

Does anyone have a pizza dough recipe that will either freeze raw and flat (already formed, and maybe loaded with ingredients) or that will freeze after being proofed (and maybe loaded with ingredients) ?

The idea being to make my own not-so-crappy freezer pizza replacement (suitable likewise for calzones, etc)...

I already do pizza dough from a tube, but the problem with those tubes (of any kind) is that they (suck and) don't store for long... Or at least, I don't know how to make em store for long...

@RoosGirl

I have never tried to freeze pizza dough, but just a quick search brought up this.  I haven't made a ton of stuff using her recipes, but what I have I've liked.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-and-freeze-pizza-dough/

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #108 on: December 04, 2018, 03:48:20 am »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #109 on: December 04, 2018, 05:42:49 am »
Thank you @RoosGirl ... you always have a way... I will give all that a whirl.
 :beer: :seeya:

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #110 on: December 04, 2018, 01:10:42 pm »
Thank you @RoosGirl ... you always have a way... I will give all that a whirl.
 :beer: :seeya:

Let us know how it turns out.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2018, 02:17:41 pm »
I have never tried to freeze pizza dough, but just a quick search brought up this.  I haven't made a ton of stuff using her recipes, but what I have I've liked.

https://thepioneerwoman.com/food-and-friends/how-to-make-and-freeze-pizza-dough/

If you have a bread machine I have a good pizza dough recipe.  I read the link, it has instructions for freezing in balls.  I am going to try freezing it flat.  The hardest thing about pizza dough is making it flat and round. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline ConstitutionRose

"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2018, 03:09:36 pm »
If you have a bread machine I have a good pizza dough recipe.  I read the link, it has instructions for freezing in balls.  I am going to try freezing it flat.  The hardest thing about pizza dough is making it flat and round.

Do yourself a favor and get a piece of slate to work it on... and actual pizza pans makes the 'making it round' part a snap.
 happy77

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2018, 03:22:00 pm »
Just had breakfast. Hard boiled egg and coffee

Would love a biscuit or a bagel.

G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2018, 05:06:10 pm »
Do yourself a favor and get a piece of slate to work it on... and actual pizza pans makes the 'making it round' part a snap.
 happy77

Having a pizza stone to bake on is vital, at about 475-500F temperature. I have a pizza oven that sits on my gas grill outside.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2018, 03:13:20 am »
Having a pizza stone to bake on is vital, at about 475-500F temperature. I have a pizza oven that sits on my gas grill outside.

I am still fixin to put a wood-fired one out back... as part of an outdoor kitchen.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2018, 11:43:02 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
Biscuit recipe, from here: https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/biscuits-a-love-story/
Made a quarter recipe tonight, got 7 biscuits out of it.  Really good biscuits, light and fluffy and crispy on the outside.  I used King Arthur self rising, so DID NOT ADD the baking powder and salt.  And I ended up having to cook for 20 minutes.

Ingredients

1 lb. unsalted butter (4 sticks), frozen, plus 3 tbsp. melted for brushing

8 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting

4 tbsp. baking powder

2 tbsp. kosher salt

3 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 400°

Grate 1 lb. butter into a bowl using the large holes of a box grater, and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

In another bowl, combine 8 cups flour and the baking powder. Add the salt and mix well.

Once the butter is very cold and hard, add it to the dry ingredients. Using your fingers, incorporate the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Slowly add the buttermilk and use your hands to gently bring the dough together.

Dump dough onto a lightly floured countertop and dust it with flour. Knead the dough until it just comes together, taking care not to overwork it.

Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll the dough out to a thickness of 1 inch. Fold the dough in half from top to bottom, and then lightly roll it out again and fold it from side to side. Roll it out one more time, and then stamp out biscuits with a 3-inch biscuit cutter.

Place biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Form the scraps into a ball, roll it out, and stamp out more biscuits. (Discard the overworked remaining scraps.)

Melt the 3 tbsp. butter and brush the tops of the biscuits. Bake for 14-17 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2018, 11:54:58 pm »
mm...MMMM!
I will NOT comply.

Offline Idaho_Cowboy

• Ride for the Brand - Joshua 24:15
« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2018, 04:35:57 am »
Now I know what those southerners mean by cat head biscuits. All this time I've been afraid to ask.  :laugh:
“The way I see it, every time a man gets up in the morning he starts his life over. Sure, the bills are there to pay, and the job is there to do, but you don't have to stay in a pattern. You can always start over, saddle a fresh horse and take another trail.” ― Louis L'Amour

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2018, 04:56:22 am »
Now I know what those southerners mean by cat head biscuits. All this time I've been afraid to ask.  :laugh:

https://thesouthernladycooks.com/2013/05/23/mamas-cathead-biscuits/
Same thing, but a thing... Biscuits big as a cat's head.

I ain't Southern, though my kin come from there on my mamma's side... I learned it that way, right up here in MT  :shrug:

Funny sometimes how that is.... A 'poke' down south (to my understanding) is a gunny sack, or a bag used to haul something (a pig in a poke)...

But a 'poke' up here is a polk - a sled towed behind you (snowshoe, snow cat), used to haul something...  :shrug:

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #121 on: December 10, 2018, 12:57:44 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
Biscuit recipe, from here: https://gardenandgun.com/recipe/biscuits-a-love-story/
Made a quarter recipe tonight, got 7 biscuits out of it.  Really good biscuits, light and fluffy and crispy on the outside.  I used King Arthur self rising, so DID NOT ADD the baking powder and salt.  And I ended up having to cook for 20 minutes.

Ingredients

1 lb. unsalted butter (4 sticks), frozen, plus 3 tbsp. melted for brushing

8 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting

4 tbsp. baking powder

2 tbsp. kosher salt

3 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 400°

Grate 1 lb. butter into a bowl using the large holes of a box grater, and place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.

In another bowl, combine 8 cups flour and the baking powder. Add the salt and mix well.

Once the butter is very cold and hard, add it to the dry ingredients. Using your fingers, incorporate the butter into the flour until the mixture is crumbly. Slowly add the buttermilk and use your hands to gently bring the dough together.

Dump dough onto a lightly floured countertop and dust it with flour. Knead the dough until it just comes together, taking care not to overwork it.

Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll the dough out to a thickness of 1 inch. Fold the dough in half from top to bottom, and then lightly roll it out again and fold it from side to side. Roll it out one more time, and then stamp out biscuits with a 3-inch biscuit cutter.

Place biscuits on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Form the scraps into a ball, roll it out, and stamp out more biscuits. (Discard the overworked remaining scraps.)

Melt the 3 tbsp. butter and brush the tops of the biscuits. Bake for 14-17 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.

Now you've done it! It's still snowing, its gonna sleet, my MIL had a second stroke last night (the EMT truck got stuck, the ambulance got stuck twice, the hospital is critically short staffed) so I need something to occupy my hands. 

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #122 on: December 10, 2018, 01:09:06 pm »
(Discard the overworked remaining scraps.)

Now, do you really?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #123 on: December 10, 2018, 01:09:48 pm »
Now you've done it! It's still snowing, its gonna sleet, my MIL had a second stroke last night (the EMT truck got stuck, the ambulance got stuck twice, the hospital is critically short staffed) so I need something to occupy my hands.

I'm sorry your MIL had another stroke, unless you don't like her and then I'm not sorry, but I think it's a little far fetched to accuse me of making her have a stroke by posting a simple biscuit recipe.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #124 on: December 10, 2018, 01:10:25 pm »