Author Topic: Kyiv Archivist Discovers Ersatz Bread Samples From Ukraine's 1932-33 Famine  (Read 375 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Kyiv Archivist Discovers Ersatz Bread Samples From Ukraine's 1932-33 Famine
Anastasia Mahazova

KYIV -- Samples of ersatz bread from the Stalin-era famine that Ukrainians call the Holodomor have been discovered among criminal records in Kyiv, shedding new light on the 1932-33 calamity that killed millions of Ukrainians.

The discovery of the records by an employee at Ukraine's Central State Archives of Public Organizations also includes two notes written to "future generations" by a Kyiv church choir conductor who ultimately was sent to the gulag in Siberia for saving the scraps as evidence of what Soviet authorities were calling "bread" in the midst of "terrible hunger."

Oleksiy Sorokin was a 55-year-old music teacher and choir conductor at a church in Kyiv in 1932 when he wrapped one of the scraps in a note and hid it in his home.

Read more at: https://www.rferl.org/a/kyiv-archivist-discovers-ersatz-bread-samples-from-ukraine-s-1932-33-famine/29617344.html

I believe this weekend, Holodomor victims are being remembered.

Opinion: Does the UN have the courage to recognize the Holodomor as genocide?
Calgary Herald   
Updated: November 24, 2018

A woman crosses herself as she carries a candle to commemorate the victims of the Holodomor or Hunger plague, during a memorial ceremony at Holodomor monument in Kyiv in 2011. This year is the 85th anniversary of the famine engineered by the Soviet Union between 1932 and 1933 as part of a series of actions, including mass executions, designed to destroy the Ukrainian nation. AFP/Getty Images   

I will never forget the paralyzing fear I felt when I was fleeing my homeland Crimea that had been occupied by the Russian Federation in 2014. After several people had been murdered and abducted in Crimea, I knew that this was just the beginning. A few weeks later, Russian troops invaded two eastern regions of Ukraine. Russia’s war against Ukraine is now entering its fifth year. The 2014 Russian military invasion of Ukraine is a direct result of the Famine Genocide of Ukrainians 85 years ago committed by Soviet Russia, and which took millions of lives but has yet to be officially recognized by the United Nations.

For several hundred years, Ukraine has been struggling against the imperialism of its northern neighbour, Russia. The inability of the international community to call “a spade a spade” in terms of the Holodomor and to make a step towards historical justice only further emboldens the perpetrator. The so-called “Russian world” is slowly spreading its tentacles to the West by interfering with democratic institutions, backing extremist parties around the world, spreading disinformation, and occupying and invading countries at the cost of thousands of lives right on the border of the European Union.

The Holodomor was a deliberate attempt to exterminate the Ukrainian population. The locals who survived the Holodomor became terrified of acknowledging their cultural identity. Any mention of the Holodomor was forbidden by the Soviet government, and out of fear, survivors remained silent. Many forgot their history, their roots, who they really were. People who lost their original identity became targets for manipulation — like many of my own family members who blocked out their Ukrainian origins.

Read more at: https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/columnists/opinion-does-the-un-have-the-courage-to-recognize-the-holodomor-as-genocide

More reading:

https://www.rferl.org/a/holodomor/29613516.html