Author Topic: Trump plan would force asylum seekers to wait in Mexico as cases are processed, a major break with c  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Central Americans who arrive at U.S. border crossings seeking asylum in the United States will have to wait in Mexico while their claims are processed under sweeping new measures the Trump administration is preparing to implement, according to internal planning documents and three Department of Homeland Security officials familiar with the initiative.

According to DHS memos obtained by The Washington Post on Wednesday, Central American asylum seekers who cannot establish a “reasonable fear” of persecution in Mexico will not be allowed to enter the United States and would be turned around at the border.

The plan, called “Remain in Mexico,” amounts to a major break with current screening procedures, which generally allow those who establish a fear of return to their home countries to avoid immediate deportation and remain in the United States until they can get a hearing with an immigration judge. Trump despises this system, which he calls “catch and release,” and has vowed to end it.
Among the thousands of Central American migrants traveling by caravan across Mexico, many hope to apply for asylum due to threats of gang violence or other persecution in their home countries. They had expected to be able to stay in the United States while their claims move through immigration court. The new rules would disrupt those plans, and the hopes of other Central Americans who seek asylum in the United States each year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-plan-would-force-asylum-seekers-to-wait-in-mexico-as-cases-are-processed-a-major-break-with-current-policy/2018/11/21/5ad47e82-ede8-11e8-9236-bb94154151d2_story.html?utm_term=.06177fc7e956
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Sounds like a plan.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

They don't have to wait in Mexico.  They can wait anywhere they choose; just not in the U.S.   :smokin:

Heads are exploding on the 9th Circus.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
They don't have to wait in Mexico.  They can wait anywhere they choose; just not in the U.S.   :smokin:

Not surprised but have you heard anything specific?  And what power do the courts have over this Ruling by President Trump?

Not surprised but have you heard anything specific?  And what power do the courts have over this Ruling by President Trump?

The only order the 9th Circus can give the President under these circumstances is he must allow all the "migrants" onto U.S. soil.  Even they can't do this @Emjay  ... hence their heads are exploding.  They can only order the President to stop or do something once the invaders step foot on our soil --- and the President's not allowing it. 

I like this plan, and I hope it's true  :smokin:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The only order the 9th Circus can give the President under these circumstances is he must allow all the "migrants" onto U.S. soil.  Even they can't do this @Emjay  ... hence their heads are exploding.  They can only order the President to stop or do something once the invaders step foot on our soil --- and the President's not allowing it. 

I like this plan, and I hope it's true  :smokin:

I like the plan also, @Right_in_Virginia   But are we really sure the infamous 9th do not have the will to make a very stupid and dangerous ruling?  They've done it before.

Oceander

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Fine by me.

That's almost as cryptic as Frank's 'I agree' thing.

What is fine by you?  Trump's plan or the 9th circuit ruling against it?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I'm sure lawsuits are file, and injunctions will be issued (Probably a Court in WA.  It's their turn after HI and OR already did it).   :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
To all of my fellow racists, bigots, and white supremacists... Give thanks to God for giving us so many opportunities to use our white privilege to suppress, oppress, and enslave billions. Let us look forward to what new crimes we can commit in the name of white privilege this coming year including repelling the brown hoard at our southern border.  .
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
To all of my fellow racists, bigots, and white supremacists... Give thanks to God for giving us so many opportunities to use our white privilege to suppress, oppress, and enslave billions. Let us look forward to what new crimes we can commit in the name of white privilege this coming year including repelling the brown hoard at our southern border.  .

I wish I had some of that white privilege people keep talking about.

Oceander

That's almost as cryptic as Frank's 'I agree' thing.

What is fine by you?  Trump's plan or the 9th circuit ruling against it?

Having asylum seekers who apply at a port of entry wait outside the US while their applications are processed. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Having asylum seekers who apply at a port of entry wait outside the US while their applications are processed.

:thumbsup:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

I like the plan also, @Right_in_Virginia   But are we really sure the infamous 9th do not have the will to make a very stupid and dangerous ruling?  They've done it before.

I'm trying to be optimistic, but no, we can't count on the 9th Circus to rule for America's security. 

@Emjay