Author Topic: Sen. Chuck Grassley has some thoughts about Trump's attacks on federal judges  (Read 858 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Sen. Chuck Grassley has some thoughts about Trump's attacks on federal judges
Business Insider, Nov 21, 2018, David Choi

[...]

"Chief Justice Roberts rebuked Trump for a comment he made abt judge's decision on asylum," Grassley said in a tweet on Wednesday. "I don't recall the Chief attacking Obama when that Prez rebuked Alito during a State of the Union."

Grassley, the Judiciary Committee chairman, appeared to be referring to President Barack Obama's 2010 State of the Union address in which he criticized the Supreme Court's 5-4 landmark decision in  Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission. The decision eased restrictions that blocked corporations and unions from funding political campaigns without limits.

But Obama did not single out Justice Samuel Alito in that address, but referred to the Supreme Court broadly, without mentioning names.

"With all due deference to separation of powers, last week the Supreme Court reversed a century of law that I believe will open the floodgates for special interests, including foreign corporations, to spend without limit in our elections,"  Obama said at the time.

In a video of the speech, Alito could be seen shaking his head and mouthing words as Obama commented on the court's decision.

In an appearance at the University of Alabama Law School in March 2010, Roberts discussed the State of the Union address and questioned the Supreme Court's presence there but stopped short of criticizing Obama.

"There is the issue of the setting, the circumstances, and the decorum," Roberts said. "The image of having the members of one branch of government standing up, literally surrounding the Supreme Court, cheering and hollering, while the court, according to the requirements of protocol, has to sit there, expressionless, I think, is very troubling. ...

More:  https://www.businessinsider.com/republican-leaders-respond-to-trump-attacks-on-john-roberts-judges-2018-11

Obama reprimanded the entire Supreme Court in front of the Congress and the nation .... no rebuke of Obama.

When did Roberts become such a political skunk?

BTW....good for Grassley.  Nice to see some steel coming out the Republican side.

Offline skeeter

Obama reprimanded the entire Supreme Court in front of the Congress and the nation .... no rebuke of Obama.

Ever since he re-wrote Obama's ACA argument, then ruled it constitutional.

Offline aligncare

BTW....good for Grassley.  Nice to see some steel coming out the Republican side.

You and I know the credit goes to Donald Trump for showing them that fighting for your agenda is a winning strategy. Some have actually sprouted spines as a result of his leadership (Lindsay, Grassley). Others went all squooshie and cried in the corner (Flake, Sasse). And democrats, well, it’s hard to tell, but I think they went way beyond bat shit crazy. No?

Best president evah!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 03:21:14 pm by aligncare »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Roberts was a huge disappointment almost immediately.

But it is, as far as I know, unprecedented for a SC Court justice to make a total and horrible political statement such as the one he made.

What's more it is laughable.  Supreme Court justices are totally political.  That's why I hope Trump can nominate at least one more, and it does seem possible.

What will the dems do then?  They threw every vile lie possible against Kavanaugh and he was still confirmed.  It will be fun to see what happens if Ruthie's health forces her to step down.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
You and I know the credit goes to Donald Trump for showing them that fighting for your agenda is a winning strategy. Some have actually sprouted spines as a result of his leadership (Lindsay, Grassley). Others went all squooshie and cried in the corner (Flake, Sasse). And democrats, well, it’s hard to tell, but I think they went way beyond bat shit crazy. No?

Best president evah!

And, . . . . We have a Bingo!
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
You and I know the credit goes to Donald Trump for showing them that fighting for your agenda is a winning strategy. Some have actually sprouted spines as a result of his leadership (Lindsay, Grassley).

Yeah.....no.  As it relates to the judiciary, McConnell was already blocking federal and SCOTUS judges, before we even knew who the nominee would be.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Yeah.....no.  As it relates to the judiciary, McConnell was already blocking federal and SCOTUS judges, before we even knew who the nominee would be.

Maybe I'm recalling it wrong but McConnell voted for Kavanaugh and Gorsuch.

So... your point is?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Oceander

So... your point is?

Nominated by Trump because in one of his more lucid moments he followed instructions instead of trying to wing it on his own. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

So... your point is?

The point is, there would be no Gorsuch, if McConnell hadn't blocked Garland.  That occurred long before this alleged magical inspiring leadership from Trump.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.