Author Topic: Fortune: I Live in Honduras, Where People Are in Constant Fear of Being Murdered. It’s No Wonder The  (Read 628 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I Live in Honduras, Where People Are in Constant Fear of Being Murdered. It’s No Wonder They Join Caravans

By AMELIA FRANK-VITALE November 23, 2018

At the end of October, I sat with my friend Graciela, counting up all the murders we’d heard about over the last week in her sector of Choloma, a city in Honduras. We thought it was about seven. It turns out, between us, we’d heard of at least 10.

Murders. In one sector. In one week. Four young men, three young women, one bus driver, one older man who worked for the municipality, and one “colgado”—a body hung up as a warning.

This was at the same time the Central American caravan was making headlines in the international press, when people started speculating that mysterious political forces were behind this mass exodus of people from Honduras.

As Graciela—whose own brother was murdered a little over a year ago—and I went back and forth, I thought, This, this is why people leave. And this is what people outside of Honduras seem to not fully understand.

Read more at: http://fortune.com/2018/11/23/honduras-migrant-caravan-border-violence/

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
What should be done?  It is their country.  Why don't they take control?  Or should we suggest to avoid seeing murders everyone in Honduras should migrate to America?

We already have their violent world.  It migrated here.  It is MS-13.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline TomSea

MS13 is from El Salvador, nonetheless,  for the bleeding hearts out there, the Obama admin. with Hillary aiding the action put into power their own guy or something like this. I remember the story at the time. I had no real opinion on it. I figured they were probably doing the right thing. I will try to find articles on this. Hillary is heavily criticized for this.

This is from 2009.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 05:17:11 am by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

An article here or there won't clarify this but it's a start of what we are looking at.   The Nation is leftist but I've seen a number of articles like this.

HILLARY CLINTON
Before Her Murder, Berta Cáceres Singled Out Hillary Clinton for Criticism
The presidential candidate has ignored criticism of her role in enabling the consolidation of the Honduran coup.
By Greg GrandinTwitter MARCH 10, 2016

Before her murder on March 3, Berta Cáceres, a Honduran indigenous rights and environmental activist, named Hillary Clinton, holding her responsible for legitimating the 2009 coup. “We warned that this would be very dangerous,” she said, referring to Clinton’s effort to impose elections that would consolidate the power of murderers.

In a video interview, given in Buenos Aires in 2014, Cáceres says it was Clinton who helped legitimate and institutionalize the coup. In response to a question about the exhaustion of the opposition movement (to restore democracy), Cáceres says (around 6:10): “The same Hillary Clinton, in her book Hard Choices, practically said what was going to happen in Honduras. This demonstrates the bad legacy of North American influence in our country. The return of Mel Zelaya to the presidency (that is, to his constitutionally elected position) was turned into a secondary concern. There were going to be elections.” Clinton, in her position as secretary of state, pressured (as her emails show) other countries to agree to sideline the demands of Cáceres and others that Zelaya be returned to power. Instead, Clinton pushed for the election of what she calls in Hard Choices a “unity government.” But Cáceres says: “We warned that this would be very dangerous.… The elections took place under intense militarism, and enormous fraud.”

Read more at: https://www.thenation.com/article/chronicle-of-a-honduran-assassination-foretold/

The thing is, from what I've seen, the president who was trying to stay in power was going against the Constitution per term limits. So, really, something went on there. A number of voices, yes, do fault the Obama administration and the Secretary of State, Clinton.  This is theirs' not ours per most of what I've read. This is why, if we act in other countries, we need to be very careful of the consequences.

Offline TomSea

That column was about the Hillary Clinton-endorsed coup against the democratically elected President, Manuel Zelaya. The popular conservative-turned-reformer had pushed through a number of measures designed to alleviate the peasantry’s hopeless poverty and shift power from the military to the presidency, which angered the Honduran elite. They were triggered, however, when Zelaya joined the ALBA alliance of Latin American countries allied with Hugo Chavez’s Venezuela. While ALBA never really amounted to much, either economically or militarily, the symbolism of this move was too much for the Honduran military, which was trained in the US and generously subsidized by Washington. The generals soon had Zelaya on a plane out of the country – while still in his pajamas. Washington issued a perfunctory scolding, but Hillary’s State Department had approved the coup in advance. It’s always been done that way, and this time was no exception.

The history of Honduras is the story of a decades-long struggle against militarism: the generals, backed by the US over the decades, created a socio-economic system centered around the supremacy of the army, which controlled not only the political scene but also dominated the economy. As liberal reformers of Zelaya’s ilk began to investigate the abuses carried out by the former military regime, the culprits didn’t wait for the prosecutor to call on them: they launched a terrorist campaign of bombings and assassinations. As I put it in 2009:

Read more at: https://original.antiwar.com/justin/2018/06/27/honduras-is-a-hellhole-whos-responsible/

Obviously, this is part of the problems. People like Rand Paul, Ron Paul and to an extent, Trump himself are trying to break from these kinds of foreign interventions which don't always work.