Author Topic: US judge: Mississippi 15-week abortion ban unconstitutional  (Read 8802 times)

Offline Hoodat

US judge: Mississippi 15-week abortion ban unconstitutional
« on: November 22, 2018, 03:51:13 am »
US judge: Mississippi 15-week abortion ban unconstitutional

EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS     |     20 NOV 2018

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A federal judge on Tuesday struck down a Mississippi law that bans most abortions after 15 weeks, one of the most restrictive in the United States.

U.S. District Judge Carlton Reeves ruled that the law “unequivocally” violates women’s constitutional rights.

“The record is clear: States may not ban abortions prior to viability,” Reeves said, citing Supreme Court rulings.

The only abortion clinic in Mississippi sued when Republican Gov. Phil Bryant signed the law March 19, and Reeves issued a temporary restraining order the next day to keep the state from enforcing the law.

https://apnews.com/c553ba1571a24d0ba9439c5965976034

The one thing absent from the judge's ruling was any specific mention of how the Constitution was violated.  Regardless of what side you are on, this is the most biased, opinionated, and un-legal decision I have ever seen.  Even Dred Scott wasn't this bad.  The judge goes on to lecture about Medicaid expansion, Obamacare, and infant mortality.  If this judge was worried about Mississippi using this case as a tool to overturn Roe, his outspoken bias has now made it possible.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

Re: US judge: Mississippi 15-week abortion ban unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 03:54:01 am »
Appeal it and let's see how 'conservative' that SCOTUS is now.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 05:30:36 am »
15 weeks is pretty much viability these days.
The Republic is lost.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 11:49:42 am »
We all knew this was going to happen. Come on.

If they're ever going to stop the courts, they need poison pill clauses: prohibit state courts from hearing the cases, and make it a felony to bring a case in federal court.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 01:33:04 pm »
Yeah, this was pretty much a slam-dunk of a case.  Pretty stupid of Mississippi to stick its fingers in this particular electrical socket.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 01:37:32 pm »
With no joke or sarcasm intended, I'm pretty sure 2/3rds of the so called 'Judges' in America would rule that the Constitution itself is unconstitutional. Again, I'm not joking.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 02:38:35 pm »
Yeah, this was pretty much a slam-dunk of a case.  Pretty stupid of Mississippi to stick its fingers in this particular electrical socket.
Executing babies by electrocution?  Maybe more humane than digging them out with forceps after emptying their brain cavity.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 04:19:16 pm »

With zero Constitutional basis for this decision, how is it a slam-dunk case?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 04:42:16 pm »
And in the mean time, France and some other Western European countries have no abortions after 12 weeks, we can't even get no abortions after 20 weeks.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_France

So, we really see how humane we are that 15 weeks is struck down.  Yeah, stupid Mississippi. (sarcasm off). Must really stand tall to make such remarks.  Some people have no shame.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:53:45 pm by TomSea »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2018, 05:15:47 pm »
Exactly what right does this law violate?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2018, 05:19:40 pm »
With zero Constitutional basis for this decision, how is it a slam-dunk case?

That’s (a) your opinion, and (b) a losing opinion.

But your faith in the lie is touching. 

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2018, 05:22:43 pm »

It's an opinion based on the FACT that no one (including yourself) has been able to cite said Constitutional basis.  But hey, I am all ears.  Go and read the decision for yourself.  Read it in its entirety.  Then scurry back here and give us those Constitutional citations that support this case.  Inquiring minds want to know.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Oceander

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2018, 05:24:12 pm »
It's an opinion based on the FACT that no one (including yourself) has been able to cite said Constitutional basis.  But hey, I am all ears.  Go and read the decision for yourself.  Read it in its entirety.  Then scurry back here and give us those Constitutional citations that support this case.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Been there, done that, but reasoned argument didn’t make a dent in your ideology then, so I won’t waste by time pretending that you’ve now got a pretense to reasoned thought rather than theocracy. 

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 06:31:03 pm »
Been there, done that, but reasoned argument didn’t make a dent in your ideology then, so I won’t waste by time pretending that you’ve now got a pretense to reasoned thought rather than theocracy.

I missed where theocracy was mentioned

I don't know if @Oceander has even addressed abortion one time but shows, just like others speaking for the positions of the Democrats, the Klan party, attacks others. Your arguments are as weak as crap and your only hope is to get into a pissing contest.

Since you have nothing on topic, then why contribute? You are the one with nothing substantial to contribute. If there are rules to be abided to in this forum, I hope the powers to be pay attention rather than taking seriously any of these responses.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 06:37:53 pm »

How? The only way you can call abortion a constitutional right is by twisting the 14 amendment away from it's original intent, which is exactly how it was done.

Oceander

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 07:38:12 pm »
How? The only way you can call abortion a constitutional right is by twisting the 14 amendment away from it's original intent, which is exactly how it was done.

Nope.  That’s just your sour grapes opinion. It was through applying it.  Claiming that the magical mystical “intent” was missed is just a subterfuge for someone who cannot accept the words as written. 

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 07:38:46 pm »

I missed where theocracy was mentioned

I don't know if @Oceander has even addressed abortion one time but shows, just like others speaking for the positions of the Democrats, the Klan party, attacks others. Your arguments are as weak as crap and your only hope is to get into a pissing contest.

Since you have nothing on topic, then why contribute? You are the one with nothing substantial to contribute. If there are rules to be abided to in this forum, I hope the powers to be pay attention rather than taking seriously any of these responses.

You go, girl. You file that moderator report! 

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 08:00:10 pm »
Exactly what right does this law violate?

The Good and Plenty Clause in the Constitution that anyone can be killed if they A) are not a solid Rat voter and B) they have no teeth. It's right after the Good and Welfare Clause....

https://www.dailysignal.com/2010/03/24/rep-conyers-discovers-new-clause-in-constitution-more-than-200-years-later/

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2018, 09:03:45 pm »
Nope.  That’s just your sour grapes opinion. It was through applying it.  Claiming that the magical mystical “intent” was missed is just a subterfuge for someone who cannot accept the words as written.
Run a scan on the entire text of the constitution and you will find no mention of the word "abortion" anywhere. For a lawyer, you should know that.

Oceander

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2018, 09:19:00 pm »
Run a scan on the entire text of the constitution and you will find no mention of the word "abortion" anywhere. For a lawyer, you should know that.

Run a scan of the entire Constitution and you won’t find a single mention of “computer” and yet, it’s protected under the Fourth Amendment from searches without probable cause. 

Are you telling me the courts have been wrong all along about that?  The word “telephone” isn’t in there either, and yet the courts have held that the Fourth Amendment prevents the government from listening in on your telephone calls without probable cause. 

Are the courts wrong about that, too? 

Or maybe the Constitution consists mainly of broad principles that have general applicability.  What a concept.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 11:36:38 pm »
Run a scan of the entire Constitution and you won’t find a single mention of “computer” and yet, it’s protected under the Fourth Amendment from searches without probable cause. 

Are you telling me the courts have been wrong all along about that?  The word “telephone” isn’t in there either, and yet the courts have held that the Fourth Amendment prevents the government from listening in on your telephone calls without probable cause. 

Or maybe the Constitution consists mainly of broad principles that have general applicability.  What a concept.
None of which involve a right to kill one's own child in the womb. Nothing in the Constitution even comes close to suggesting such a thing. Besides, you explicitly said "the words as written" when no such word was written.

Offline endicom

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2018, 12:02:27 am »
None of which involve a right to kill one's own child in the womb. Nothing in the Constitution even comes close to suggesting such a thing. Besides, you explicitly said "the words as written" when no such word was written.

I think what @Oceander is getting at is that the Constitution doesn't confer rights. It restrains government.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2018, 12:11:28 am »

I think what @Oceander is getting at is that the Constitution doesn't confer rights. It restrains government.

Yes it does.

And the only two ways that any government in these United States can sanction taking of life is by due process and just cause.

That baby committed no crime, and is not sacrificed as an instrument of war. Ergo, there is no sound argument that allows the taking of that baby's right to life without granting government latitude that the Constitution does not grant.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2018, 12:27:46 am »

@Oceander

Four posts later, and you are still unable to locate the part of the Constitution that this judge used as a basis for this ruling.  What does that tell us?

Maybe, just maybe this judge chose to ignore the Constitution, instead injecting his own personal opinions on the matter.  Kind of like you.  I can understand that.  But at least try to demonstrate some integrity here.  If you can't find any Constitutional basis, then simply admit it.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2018, 12:30:18 am »

The only thing being restrained here is the right of the people of the great state of Mississippi to come together as a society and establish their own laws.  In that regard, this judge is denying them their Constitutional right defined under Amendment X.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-