Author Topic: DONALD TRUMP SIGNS AUTHORIZATION FOR BORDER TROOPS USING LETHAL FORCE AS MIGRANT CARAVAN APPROACHES,  (Read 723 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
As 400 military police officers from the U.S. Army redeployed to San Diego, the Trump administration approved the use of troops for law enforcement tasks at the southern border, stating that they are permitted to employ lethal force, according to a White House memo obtained by Newsweek.

The "decision memorandum" was signed by President Donald Trump on Tuesday and ran through Derek S. Lyons, a Harvard-educated lawyer and White House staff secretary to John Kelly, the White House chief of staff and former U.S. Marine general. The documents were obtained from a Defense Department source.

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-memo-migrant-caravan-border-troops-1226945
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline NavyCanDo

Trump cannot authorise this under the Posse Comitatus Act.   I hope this is not true.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline edpc

Trump cannot authorise this under the Posse Comitatus Act.   I hope this is not true.

“I’m reviewing that now,” Mattis said of the order. But he added: “We are not doing law enforcement. We do not have arrest authority.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/21/mattis-white-house-border-mission-987163

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@NavyCanDo

Of course he can. He is not authorizing them to set up machine guns and gun down people trying to climb a fence. He is authorizing them to use deadly force in self-defense if their lives are in danger from being physically attacked.

And to top that off,AFAIK,there are no infantry or armor (combat) units being sent. Only MI,MP,medical/field hospital,and related units.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline edpc

Kelly and Nielsen opposed border order in fiery West Wing debate

Kelly and Nielsen argued against signing the declaration, which granted the military broad authority at the border, telling the president that the move was beyond his constitutional powers. They were vocally opposed by, among others, senior policy adviser Stephen Miller; Chris Crane, president of the National Immigration and Customs Enforcement Council; and Brandon Judd, president of the border patrol union. Also present was Vice President Mike Pence, who did not take a stand on the issue, according to one of the people briefed on the debate.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/22/kelly-nielsen-debate-border-troops-1012547
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:48:08 pm by edpc »

Offline roamer_1

Trump cannot authorise this under the Posse Comitatus Act.

That cannot be true.
This is not enforcing domestic policy. This is defending the border. The guns would be pointed out, not in.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Liberals are waiting to sing "Four dead in Meheho"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Defending the United States from invasion is the Primary Mission of American armed forces. (or at least it used to be) How can we send thousands to die defending Iraq, but say it is illegal for the same troop to defend America? That would be a bizarre ruling in the extreme.

Essentially a ruling along those lines would declare that American armed forces can only be used in defense of foreign nations, but cannot be used in defense of America. My God, that would invite every foreign power on Earth to invade, since they know that we cannot legally defend ourselves.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:28:05 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.