16 (61.5%)
No
4 (15.4%)
HELL no!
5 (19.2%)
Other
1 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Should prostitution be legal?  (Read 20546 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Should prostitution be legal?
« Reply #125 on: November 22, 2018, 03:51:02 am »
This may help:

Human trafficking thrives in legal brothels | Charleston
https://www.rgj.com/story/opinion/voices/2018/10/09/human-trafficking-thrives-legal-brothels-charleston/1578611002/

Oct 9, 2018 ... I was trafficked into Nevada's legal brothels. Legal prostitution worldwide is known to facilitate human traffickers by giving them legal access to ...
Lyon County Sheriff says sex workers in brothels showed signs of ...
https://www.rgj.com/story/news/local/mason-valley/2018/10/18/audit-shows-lack-brothel-enforcement/1684633002/

Oct 18, 2018 ... Lyon County Sheriff says 30% of sex workers in brothels showed signs of ... 18 were issued to Southern Nevada residents and 168 cards were issued to ... detective-led investigation to determine if they were being trafficked.”.

How do we know that the women in Nevada Brothels are not victims ...
https://www.quora.com/How-do-we-know-that-the-women-in-Nevada-Brothels-are-not-victims-of-trafficking

The women in Nevada's legal brothels are not trafficked. ... Laws state every sex workers employed by brothels must be of legal age, have work cards, paid fair ...
Immigration violations, possible sex trafficking found at Nevada ...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nevada-prostitution/immigration-violations-possible-sex-trafficking-found-at-nevada-brothels-idUSKCN1MG00T

Oct 5, 2018 ... An investigation of three legal Nevada brothels owned by a reality TV star ... reality TV show “Cathouse” about prostitutes at one of his brothels, ...
New study shows why brothels should be outlawed - The Nevada ...
https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/new-study-shows-why-brothels-should-be-outlawed/

May 17, 2018 ... Prostitution and sex trafficking are not separate “activities. ... similar risk of being trafficked as a person trafficked in areas without legal brothels.

Nevada's Legal Brothels Make Workers Feel Safer - NYTimes.com
https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2012/04/19/is-legalized-prostitution-safer/nevadas-legal-brothels-make-workers-feel-safer

Jan 23, 2014 ... Nevada's model is worth considering, but there are plenty of models of legal prostitution throughout the world to draw from, and lots of research ...

Las Vegas pimps look for women of all ages for sex trafficking ...
https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/downtown/las-vegas-pimps-look-for-women-of-all-ages-for-sex-trafficking-prostitution/

Apr 22, 2016 ... Sex trafficking in Nevada is defined as the inducing or forcing of a person to engage in prostitution. However, when it comes to adult sex ...

Offline Hoodat

Re: Should prostitution be lega
« Reply #126 on: November 22, 2018, 03:57:05 am »
I doubt that lady actually lost her benefits and I am sure Germany fill fix the oversight.

Based on what?  Your feelings?  You do this quite a bit.  You state assumptions without producing a scintilla of evidence supporting it.  Here you say that you are sure - sure that Germany fixed the oversight.  So what if they didn't?  What then?

Women here would not be forced into prostitution.

Women in Germany aren't forced into prostitution.  Some are simply given a choice of taking a prostitution job or having their unemployment benefits cut off.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 04:06:23 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #128 on: November 22, 2018, 04:05:16 am »
Germany a 'sex tourism hotspot'
Relaxed attitude to prostitution has resulted in Germany attracting sex tourists from France, Italy and beyond to visit its brothels

Germany has become a sex tourism hotspot thanks to the legalisation of prostitution, the country's leading feminist campaigner has warned.

Alice Schwarzer, whose book "Prostitution – a German scandal" was published last week, says sex tourists from France, Italy and Scandinavia travel to Germany to visit its brothels.

They are attracted by a relaxed approach to prostitution and legal brothels such as Cologne's Pascha, the largest brothel in Europe, she explained.

"Germany today is a 'sex paradise' for foreigners – thanks to the 2002 reform which permitted conditions that our neighbouring countries are amazed at: large brothels with low fees and flat rates, and 'wellness' brothels," Ms Schwarzer said.

"Foreigners travel from as far as Scandinavia and France by the busload."

~snip~

Feminist magazine "Emma", published by Ms Schwarzer, this month launched a campaign to get prostitution banned in Germany once again

~snip~

Estimates put the total number of sex workers in Germany at anywhere between 400,000 and one million.

According to Ms Schwarzer's research, only five per cent are German, with the rest coming from Eastern Europe and Africa.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10452246/Germany-a-sex-tourism-hotspot.html

Imagine that.   Feminists opposed to legalized prostitution.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #129 on: November 22, 2018, 04:08:37 am »
Based on what?  Your feelings?  You do this quite a bit.  You state assumptions without producing a scintilla of evidence supporting it.  Here you say that you are sure - sure that Germany fixed the oversight.  So what if they didn't?  What then?

Women in Germany aren't forced into prostitution.  Some are simply given a choice of taking a prostitution job or having their unemployment benefits cut off.

You are assuming the opposite. The article is inconclusive so it’s useless. That would not happen here. I think it’s preposterous to think it would.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #130 on: November 22, 2018, 04:12:41 am »
You are assuming the opposite. The article is inconclusive so it’s useless. That would not happen here. I think it’s preposterous to think it would.

Forty years ago marriage was sure and lasting, bastard children and single parent homes were few... A single income provided for a family, and women stayed home to care for children and gardens and schools, and churches.

Imagine all that 'would not happen here' from their perspective.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #131 on: November 22, 2018, 04:13:25 am »
It won't happen here because no States are going to suddenly legalize prostitution.  Perhaps they are following Sweden's example.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #132 on: November 22, 2018, 04:14:36 am »
Forty years ago marriage was sure and lasting, bastard children and single parent homes were few... A single income provided for a family, and women stayed home to care for children and gardens and schools, and churches.

And then one day, liberals took over.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #133 on: November 22, 2018, 04:19:53 am »
And then one day, liberals took over.

And they keep trying to tell us it's so much better.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #134 on: November 22, 2018, 12:50:32 pm »

@Hoodat

Ok,so in anal places like Germany,don't legalize prostitution. De-criminalize it.  The prime difference being that gives the government no authority to make it a job classification.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2018, 12:57:07 pm »
Germany a 'sex tourism hotspot'

Alice Schwarzer, whose book "Prostitution – a German scandal" was published last week, says sex tourists from France, Italy and Scandinavia travel to Germany to visit its brothels.

@Hoodat

I have a  hard time believing that men from France,Italy,and Scandinavia can't find prostitutes at home,and have to go to Germany to rent a woman.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2018, 01:05:22 pm »
@Hoodat

I have a  hard time believing that men from France,Italy,and Scandinavia can't find prostitutes at home,and have to go to Germany to rent a woman.

Kinda sounds like those countries need to legalize too. If I was going to use a service like that I might bother to travel for it because a regulated sex establishment would make me feel a lot safer.
-Socrates

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2018, 04:17:24 pm »
@Hoodat

The distances from Paris to Cologne, Copenhagen to Berlin, and Milan to Munich are all comparable to the distance from LA to Las Vegas, the outskirts of which have a legal prostitution industry fed by clients traveling to Vegas for a fun time.

So yes, people travel to Colorado to have a weed vacation.  People travel to Atlantic City to have a gambling vacation.  And people who formerly traveled to Thailand for a sex vacation now go to Germany.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2018, 04:56:14 pm »

Imagine all that 'would not happen here' from their perspective.

And houses of prostitution where everywhere. My small town had at least 3-4. Today there are none. Lot's of married men back then used prostitutes if their wife shut them off. Men kept their mouths shut.

Today these married men have affairs instead of using prostitutes. It has reversed.

@roamer_1

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2018, 05:07:50 pm »
Not nearly as much.
Because it turned out so well with marijuana in the states that legalized it?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #140 on: November 22, 2018, 05:10:36 pm »
And houses of prostitution where everywhere. My small town had at least 3-4. Today there are none. Lot's of married men back then used prostitutes if their wife shut them off. Men kept their mouths shut.

Today these married men have affairs instead of using prostitutes. It has reversed.

@mirraflake
Nah. The nearest whorehouse  to here was over in Wallace Idaho. In fact, having traveled up and down the Rockies, NoDAk, SODak, and across the southern Midwest into the South, That is the only whorehouse I was aware of - And I was of the sort to be aware of such things.

Offline Dexter

« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2018, 05:51:54 pm »
Because it turned out so well with marijuana in the states that legalized it?

Marijuana use among teens actually dropped slightly in states that have legalized. It also created a ton of tax revenue.
-Socrates

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2018, 06:10:04 pm »
The legal businesses that open up and take over the demand for prostitution will pay taxes.

You did not read a thing no I typed. Bye, Felicia.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2018, 07:23:36 pm »
Suggest waiting till April Fools Day to raise this absurdity.
A core premise of Principled Conservatism is that the Family Unit
is the bedrock of civilization and so by extension, its nation/state,
its social order and as well as its political structure.
Do divorce, homosexuality, prostitution, among many bad behaviors
advance the well being of the Family Unit?????
Too harebrained for words!!!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:42:23 pm by Absalom »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2018, 08:43:49 pm »
Not all libertarian belief systems are that way, but I do think some libertarians can impose their own belief system such as in this case. You are still imposing your beliefs on others that heck, prostitution is a victimless crime, heroin abuse can be seen in this way.  So, why not legalize it?  A lot of flyover country would severely disagree with this, it would have to be federal law I gather. If one believes in this concept, try and get your state, county and so on to legalize it, don't impose it on me. I'd think only 20% OR less would want to see prostitution legal. Forget pimps and all of that, that's mainly in the big cities and doesn't affect that many of us.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2018, 10:42:44 pm »

Exactly right... As I said upthread, it is against the very purpose of civil union.
Well said.
 :beer:

Offline berdie

« Reply #146 on: November 23, 2018, 12:06:47 am »
I'm late to this thread (as usual) But I did read the whole thing and found it interesting @Dexter .

Although you have stated that this is not a federal issue the very implication of tax and regulation suggests federal involvement. It's a state issue...they can tax and regulate as well. I even went so far to look at Nevada laws regarding this. It was pretty interesting and complicated. If a state votes it down...so be it. One of the last interventions by the Feds in Texas came on same sex marriage . The state voted it down. The Feds said "Too bad". I don't agree with that. It's not their place in this matter. 10th Amendment and all that pesky stuff.

You ask if legalization would be good? No, I don't think so.  Why would it? Why sanction something that by it's very nature invites depravity and criminal activity? I really don't think the government, state or local, can regulate those things.
I'll leave out moral objections for the sake of this argument. I do believe that if you give an inch...the mile is the limit.

There is a post on the thread that says people in Europe go to countries  where prostitution is legal. So even not all countries in Europe think it's a good idea. Evenly more importantly, I know that Europeans regard the US as backwards, backwoods and provincial.  I wish I cared. happy77

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2018, 12:10:25 am »

@Absalom

You  are confusing conservatism with the fascism of organized religion.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2018, 01:57:05 am »

Just some perspective, this is sort of how one cartoonist viewed Ron Paul per making some of these libertarian-like claims. It's nothing new and I certainly do not mean all libertarians see things that way.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #149 on: November 23, 2018, 02:06:48 am »
@Absalom

You  are confusing conservatism with the fascism of organized religion.
---------------------------------
Sneaky, a respectful demurral.
The precept that the Family Unit anchors civilization is not derived from any Religion;
rather it's derived from the Natural Law, whose concepts existed the first day of Man.