Author Topic: School bans ‘expensive’ jackets due to ‘poverty shaming’ of students  (Read 443 times)

rangerrebew

School bans ‘expensive’ jackets due to ‘poverty shaming’ of students
College Fix Staff •November 17, 2018

A school in the United Kingdom has forbade students from wearing “expensive” jackets because doing so may “poverty shame” other students.

A letter sent by officials from Woodchurch High School in Merseyside informed parents that “pupils will not be permitted to bring in Canadian [sic] Goose and Monclair [sic] coats after the Christmas break.” Such garb can cost up to $900, according to Reason.

The Independent reports that according to headteacher Rebekah Phillips, parents had asked for the prohibition:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/school-bans-expensive-jackets-due-to-poverty-shaming-of-students/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sackcloth and ashes, d@mnit! Everyone should wear rags! Equality! Shiver in the cold!

There have always been people who had nicer or rougher clothes. Nicer or clunkier cars (or no car at all). Nicer shoes, whatever. Insulating the little darlings from such realities will only mean they get smacked in the face with it when they matriculate, or, if they watch the telly, they'll know that this is BS.

Are cheap jewelry (watches and the like) and bad haircuts next on the mandate list?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

I should start a line of "hobo chic" outerwear for just this purpose. I'll make a killing in England.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I should start a line of "hobo chic" outerwear for just this purpose. I'll make a killing in England.
"Tramp eSteemer" label....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis