Briefing Room Polls (Guests Welcome!) > The Briefingroom Polls

Should the United States withdraw from the U.N and refuse to be controlled by its mandates?

(1/7) > >>

Dexter:
I'd be fine with our departure from the U.N. I am tired of the expectation that America gives and gives and gives.

berdie:
My answer is a very loud YES!!!

goodwithagun:
Yeah, like yesterday.

Oceander:
The U.S. is one of the few members that possesses a veto over important actions by the U.N.  Leaving the U.N. would mean abandoning that veto, which might not be in the best interests of the U.S.

Applewood:

--- Quote from: Oceander on November 19, 2018, 04:40:23 am ---The U.S. is one of the few members that possesses a veto over important actions by the U.N.  Leaving the U.N. would mean abandoning that veto, which might not be in the best interests of the U.S.

--- End quote ---

Maybe that's a good thing, but right now I don't see a whole lot of advantage to the US by staying in.  What other benefits to the US do we have in membership?  Probably early on when the US was a super power, we could do and get a lot more.  But the US' position in the world has steadily eroded over the years -- particularly during the 8 years of Obama -- and I don't see America regaining world power status under Trump.  Most of the UN members are hostile to the United States.  Obama let the UN members walk over us and rule over us.  Trump can try his tough guy approach, but the other nations will just ignore him. 

I say, we leave.  Will save us a lot of money and a lot more grief.  And the UN can move its headquarters to some friendly third world country like Nigeria.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version