Author Topic: Dry cleaning is dirtier than you think. Meet the neurotoxin hiding in your winter coat.  (Read 382 times)

rangerrebew

Dry cleaning is dirtier than you think. Meet the neurotoxin hiding in your winter coat.

Freshly-laundered clothes mask an environmental and social blight.
By Eleanor Cummins Yesterday at 3:30pm

The health effects of the chemical PERC affect dry cleaners the most.

A cross-country tour of dry cleaners and local laundromats isn’t most people’s dream vacation. But Diana Ceballos, a research scientist in Harvard University’s environmental health department, is always angling for a chance to peek behind the counter.

An expert in the industry's occupational health hazards, Ceballos has worked with dry cleaners in Seattle, where 80 percent of operations are owned by Korean families, and visited Tide-branded brick and mortars in the midwest that offer 24-hour concierge fabric cleaning services. (“They’re very fancy!” she says.)

https://www.popsci.com/dry-cleaning-chemicals

Silver Pines

I don't think an item is really clean unless it's been washed in soap and water, and for that reason, I don't buy bed linens that need dry cleaning.  I also don't want to breathe in the residue of the chemicals used in the process.

I read that you should remove the plastic from dry cleaned garments right away and let them air out, so that's what I do.