Author Topic: Soldiers Get Wireless Targeting to Shoot Around Corners, Hit Enemies Instantly  (Read 504 times)

rangerrebew

Soldiers Get Wireless Targeting to Shoot Around Corners, Hit Enemies Instantly

This system, called Rapid Target Acquisition, is slated to arrive in early 2019

Kris Osborn - Warrior Maven

As attacking enemies appear and vanish in seconds from around corners, rocks and trees - armed US soldiers in Close Quarter Combat often have little or no time to respond, while their lives often hang in the balance.

As a way to address this, the Army has leveraged wireless networking technology to give soldiers a distinct advantage; a new system connecting night vision goggles with rifle targeting sights will arrive in a matter of months, enabling soldiers to fire around corners and hit enemies instantly, without having to “shoulder” their weapon.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The first attempt I know of to allow soldiers to fire on the enemy without exposing themselves to enemy fire was in WW-2. They may have also tried to use other weapons (unlikely because of safety issues),but the ones I saw photos of were the WW-2 era M3 "grease gun" 45 ACP sub-machinegun. These had barrels that screwed onto the end of the receiver just like grease guns,and changing barrels was simplicity itself. So the army bent a few barrels that could supposedly "shoot around corners".

AFAIK these brain farts,while well-meaning,were never put into action. After all,if you can't see what you are shooting at,all you are doing is wasting the heavy ammo you have been carrying around strapped to your body. That may be a minor thing to the planners in the rear,but I assure you it is  not a minor thing to the guys out front that have to carry the ammo and worry about running out of it.

Since this system has optics,there is some hope for it being useful even though the soldiers shooting will still have their hands and arms exposed to enemy fire.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
The first attempt I know of to allow soldiers to fire on the enemy without exposing themselves to enemy fire was in WW-2. They may have also tried to use other weapons (unlikely because of safety issues),but the ones I saw photos of were the WW-2 era M3 "grease gun" 45 ACP sub-machinegun. These had barrels that screwed onto the end of the receiver just like grease guns,and changing barrels was simplicity itself. So the army bent a few barrels that could supposedly "shoot around corners".

AFAIK these brain farts,while well-meaning,were never put into action. After all,if you can't see what you are shooting at,all you are doing is wasting the heavy ammo you have been carrying around strapped to your body. That may be a minor thing to the planners in the rear,but I assure you it is  not a minor thing to the guys out front that have to carry the ammo and worry about running out of it.

Since this system has optics,there is some hope for it being useful even though the soldiers shooting will still have their hands and arms exposed to enemy fire.
Well we weren't alone, I won't even try to guess who was the chicken and who was the egg. :shrug:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a21800/forgotten-weapons-wwii-curve-a-bullet/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Well we weren't alone, I won't even try to guess who was the chicken and who was the egg. :shrug:
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a21800/forgotten-weapons-wwii-curve-a-bullet/

The STG-44 was where Kalashnikov got the idea (stole the design) to create the AK-47.

But,or course EVERYTHING,including sunshine,was invented in the Soviet Union.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!