Author Topic: Abuses and Usurpations  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: Abuses and Usurpations
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2018, 03:41:09 am »
Well, I did say I never saw the show.  So his character Nagin is meant to show the most vile creatures wear nice people skins?

He's actually an interesting character. Before the zombie apocalypse he was just a useless drunk that had nothing to offer society. His set of skills had no place in that world. Chaos and the law of the jungle gave him the space he needed to really take advantage of his strengths. He dominates people with fear and brutality.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 02:01:18 pm by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online roamer_1

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2018, 05:04:40 am »
Republicans need to ditch the losing social issues and focus on the stuff that matters most before the left gains complete control and kills economic conservatism as well.

Impossible. The social issues are the cause of the spending.
And economic conservatism is long, long gone. When was the last balanced budget?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2018, 06:26:40 am »
 :2popcorn:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Silver Pines

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2018, 01:46:34 pm »
Well, I did say I never saw the show.  So his character Nagin is meant to show the most vile creatures wear nice people skins?

@Cyber Liberty

Or nice looking skins, lol.

Actually I think the point of Negan is to prove that TV writers can manipulate the viewers any way they want.  After two seasons of this guy, they’re trying to make him likeable. 

Silver Pines

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2018, 01:49:06 pm »
He's actually an interesting character. Before the zombie apocalypse he was just a useless drunk that had nothing to offer society. His set of skills had no place in that world. Chaos and the rule of the jungle gave him the space he needed to really take advantage of his strengths. He dominates people with fear and brutality.

@Dexter

Was he a drunk?  I missed that.

I love how he gets so outraged about rape, saying he doesn’t tolerate it.  Meanwhile he has women he forces to be his “wives” so he can take his pick for the night.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2018, 02:00:23 pm »
Was he a drunk?  I missed that.

Yeah, at one point Rick realizes that he knew him before the zombie outbreak. He said he used to be the town drunk and recalled having to arrest him on more than one occasion.

I love how he gets so outraged about rape, saying he doesn’t tolerate it.  Meanwhile he has women he forces to be his “wives” so he can take his pick for the night.

There's definitely more than a little bit of cognitive dissonance. That's probably not too uncommon for violent psychopaths.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 03:38:22 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Or nice looking skins, lol.

Actually I think the point of Negan is to prove that TV writers can manipulate the viewers any way they want.  After two seasons of this guy, they’re trying to make him likeable.

American Lit reference:  Edgar Alan Poe style (See "Telltale Heart").
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Silver Pines

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2018, 07:55:35 pm »
Yeah, at one point Rick realizes that he knew him before the zombie outbreak. He said he used to be the town drunk and recalled having to arrest him on more than one occasion.

There's definitely more than a little bit of cognitive dissonance. That's probably not too uncommon for violent psychopaths.

@Dexter

Oh, I remember that quote now.  I'm pretty sure Rick wasn't speaking literally, though.  I think he was tearing down Negan's ego, letting him know he wasn't anything special or powerful, but just a run of the mill troublesome piece of crap. 

Yeah, that's too true about the cognitive dissonance and Negan's psychological state.  AMC is going to do some character backstories--would be interesting to see Negan's pre-ZA story.

If we want to continue, there's a Walking Dead thread.

Silver Pines

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2018, 07:56:32 pm »
American Lit reference:  Edgar Alan Poe style (See "Telltale Heart").

@Cyber Liberty

Which proves I haven't read much Poe.

Btw, CL, can you tell me what Bookface is? 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2018, 08:38:58 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Which proves I haven't read much Poe.

Btw, CL, can you tell me what Bookface is?

What I call "Facebook."  I detest them (although I still post nonsense there), and my fingers are programmed likewise.   :laugh:

The Poe reference was a short story where the protagonist is portrayed though very sympathetic prose, as he plots, then executes the murder of an old man in the man's own room.  Afterwards he was haunted by an audio hallucination of a beating heart, which drove him to confessing his crime. 

"Could have been anybody doing this, right?"
  is the apparent takeaway, or so the Lit prof told us.  :shrug:  I read quite a bit of Poe on my own before it ever came up in a class.  He wasn't just Macabre genre.
I will NOT comply.