Author Topic: Flake to halt judicial nominees until Mueller protection bill passed  (Read 1830 times)

Offline RetBobbyMI

Re: Flake to halt judicial nominees until Mueller protection bill passed
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 03:55:16 am »
I don't think he approves judicial nominees on his own.  If he could Harry Reid would have done it already like nuking the Senate.  If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time, but until I hear Cocaine Mitch say he can bypass the committee I'm not going to believe it.
Missed point, that being the Leader should swap him out of that committee assignment and replace him with sone not so obstinate.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 03:58:52 am »
Missed point, that being the Leader should swap him out of that committee assignment and replace him with sone not so obstinate.

I gotcha now.  Interesting point.

Gotta wonder why Flake, not a team player, and who quit hasn't already been removed from committees? 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 04:01:21 am by Once-Ler »

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 04:40:24 am »
@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer
Thanks for the post and the link.  Fake News?!?  Why do we bother with a committee then?  It doesn't make sense to me.  Why didn't Reid do it?

It maybe that the GOP doesn't have the balls to confirm without the public protection of the committee...I dunno.  Can't wait to find out.

I don't think it's fake.  I remember it being discussed as a possibility.  I want to say it was either Mcconnell or Grassley that brought it up, and maybe one of the wonder ditzes saying they wouldn't support unless, but those memories I'm not really confident of.

I did find plenty of articles about rules for bypassing committees in general, and a couple over overtly biased ones claiming the Republicans had made it standard practice.

My guess, and that's all it is, is that Reid would never need to, since Dems tend to vote in lock step, while Reps let RINOs on important committees. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 08:04:32 am »
! No longer available

Give Trump a kick in the butt for me too Jeff.   happy77

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 11:19:21 am »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 01:06:30 pm »

Money (much of which he was born with) and power != Intelligence
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 01:07:39 pm »

Yeah, but for daddy’s money.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 01:14:37 pm »
Stunning.  Democrats are stealing midterm election wins out from under 'us" .... and bashing the President is still the sport of choice for so many around here.

Still think they're not on the Democrats' side?

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 01:48:55 pm »
Yeah, but for daddy’s money.
Ok. I get it. Sooo....daddy's money got him elected? The same money that he grew over time. Turned 10 million into 10 billion. Beat out Hillary? With 100% of the media (in all forms) bashing him 24/7? Yea. I see your point. The guy must be a fool. Why didn't I see that before?

We all know that broke ass keyboard warriors are the real brains in America.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2018, 01:55:28 pm »
Stunning.  Democrats are stealing midterm election wins out from under 'us" .... and bashing the President is still the sport of choice for so many around here.

Still think they're not on the Democrats' side?

Seems to me most of the folks on this thread are bashing Jeff Flake.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2018, 02:02:43 pm »
That would be a well deserved biotch slap across the face on his way out.  I'd love to see this, just for the joy factor.

Yeah, I would too.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2018, 02:17:15 pm »

If you think you're so much smarter than Trump's critics, always remember that they aren't ignorant; they know about Thales of Miletus.

Paris Hilton and Donald Trump might both have money, but I'd put my intelligence up against theirs any day.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:25:49 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:26 pm »
Seems to me most of the folks on this thread are bashing Jeff Flake.

I would sure hope so.  Flake is so messed up with his Trump hate he's lost his marbles.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 02:24:54 pm »

If you think you're so much smarter than Trump's critics, always remember that they aren't ignorant; they know about Thales of Miletus.

Geometry?

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 02:33:39 pm »
Geometry?

Yes, but the relevant story is his response to the same stupid argument as that meme:

https://leightonvw.com/2013/04/01/how-an-ancient-greek-philosopher-bet-on-the-future-and-won/
According to Aristotle’s account, Thales put a deposit during the winter on all the olive-presses in Chios and Miletus, which would allow him exclusive use of the presses after the harvest. Because the harvest was in the future, and nobody could be sure whether the harvest would be plentiful or not, he was able to secure the contracts for a very low price. In fact, we are informed that there was not one bid against him. From the olive press owners’ point of view, they were protecting themselves against a poor harvest by earning at least some money up front regardless of how things turned out.

Thales’ bet came off, big time. The harvest was excellent and there was heavy demand for the presses. Thales held the monopoly and was able to rent them out at a huge profit. Either he was an expert forecaster or he had calculated that a bad harvest would not lose him much in terms of lost deposits, whereas the upside of a good harvest was enormous. “Thus he showed the world that philosophers can easily be rich if they like, but that their ambition is of another sort”, wrote Aristotle.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:36:24 pm by Suppressed »
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline skeeter

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2018, 02:37:03 pm »
I would sure hope so.  Flake is so messed up with his Trump hate he's lost his marbles.

This one instance is a pretty clear case of one thing being good for the country and the other being corrosive.

So its likewise clear in general who's opinion here is worth considering and who's to flush.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2018, 02:39:39 pm »
Yes, but the relevant story is his response to the same stupid argument as that meme:

https://leightonvw.com/2013/04/01/how-an-ancient-greek-philosopher-bet-on-the-future-and-won/

Whew!  That was a circuitous route.

Oceander

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 12:27:29 am »
Ok. I get it. Sooo....daddy's money got him elected? The same money that he grew over time. Turned 10 million into 10 billion. Beat out Hillary? With 100% of the media (in all forms) bashing him 24/7? Yea. I see your point. The guy must be a fool. Why didn't I see that before?

We all know that broke ass keyboard warriors are the real brains in America.

No.  Daddy’s money is what made him rich.  Everything he’s tried for himself that didn’t involve leveraging off of what daddy did for him he’s failed at.  The only exception to that is celebrity; at that, he excels like a kardashian.  Airlines?  Failure.  Wine?  Failure.  For-profit schools?  Failure.  Real estate development?  Several spectacular failures.  (Where do you think that $900 million loss carryforward on his returns was from?)

The fact is, if he’d taken daddy’s money and put it in an index fund he’d be richer than he is now. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:38:02 am by Oceander »