Author Topic: Beto O'Rourke’s loss to Ted Cruz is a heartwarming reminder that money can’t buy elections  (Read 696 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Beto O'Rourke’s loss to Ted Cruz is a heartwarming reminder that money can’t buy elections
by Becket Adams
 | November 06, 2018 11:13 PM

Democratic candidate Beto O’Rourke’s Senate campaign crashed harder Tuesday evening than a speeding Volvo driven by a drunk judge’s son.

Glum-faced news anchors have called the Texas Senate race for incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas. By 10:40 pm EST, the Republican held a 3.3-point lead with 38 percent of precincts reporting, ending one of the most expensive elections in American history.

Cruz raised $40 million in this election cycle and spent roughly $33.8 million, according to the Center for Respective Politics. If you think that’s a lot, it’s not much compared to O’Rourke’s haul. The Texas congressman raised an astonishing $69 million in a race that every poll said he would lose. O’Rourke’s campaign also spent $59 million. So, that was smart.

His defeat will no doubt come as a terrible blow to all the hard-hitting news reporters who dedicated thousands of words to detailing how much he loves driving and practicing his Spanish. But they shouldn’t think of it as a loss! They should think of the “Kennedyesque” candidate's failure to unseat Cruz as an uplifting reminder that money can’t buy elections.

Going forward, the real fun will be watching O’Rourke supporters convince themselves that his defeat is really a moral and incremental victory. Just you wait and see. There’ll be no shortage soon of news articles spinning what the polls called from the get-go as a good thing for the Democrats.

“Win or lose, Beto O’Rourke set to emerge victorious,” read a headline tweeted by Reuters.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/beto-orourkes-loss-to-ted-cruz-is-a-heartwarming-reminder-that-money-cant-buy-elections
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
“Win or lose, Beto O’Rourke set to emerge victorious,” read a headline tweeted by Reuters.

Or, maybe not.

Offline Frank Cannon

Yeah. Heard that shit before....

She ended up having to auction her panties to make rent.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 03:53:48 pm by Mod5 »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I like the Dems wasting a lot of money that otherwise might have saved some some of the other Senate seats they lost.

It was way to close an election.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I remember hearing some ol' boys at work saying, "Beto is an unknown, Cruz will beat him by double-digits, where else will he get the support other than far West Texas El Paso County".  The money factor is just one thing, some other more-well known names didn't want to touch the race. They rightfully figured, it wouldn't be good for their resume.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
TomSea wrote:
"I remember hearing some ol' boys at work saying, "Beto is an unknown, Cruz will beat him by double-digits, where else will he get the support other than far West Texas El Paso County"."

Heh.
I remember hearing pretty much the same -- right here in this forum.

Them folks is a bit mum now.
Beto got 'way 'WAY too close to the finish line for comfort.

Sumthin' tells me that ... he'll be back.