Author Topic: Acting AG Matt Whitaker To Take Authority On Mueller Probe From Rosenstein  (Read 566 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: DAILY CALLER

URL: https://dailycaller.com/2018/11/07/whitaker-mueller-probe-rosenstein/

by Hanna Bogorowski

The Justice Department stated Wednesday that acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker will overtake supervision of special counsel Robert Mueller’s Russia investigation from Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.

President Donald Trump fired Attorney General Jeff Sessions Wednesday afternoon and replaced him with Whitaker, Sessions’ chief of staff.

We are pleased to announce that Matthew G. Whitaker, Chief of Staff to Attorney General Jeff Sessions at the Department of Justice, will become our new Acting Attorney General of the United States. He will serve our Country well….

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 7, 2018

Sessions recused himself from the Russia probe in March 2017, much to President Donald Trump’s chagrin.

This put the Russia probe in Rosenstein’s hands, but after Wednesday’s development, it was unclear who would now supervise the probe with Sessions gone.

“The Acting Attorney General is in charge of all matters under the purview of the Department of Justice,” Sarah Isgur Flores, director of public affairs at the DOJ told The Daily Caller News Foundation.

(Excerpt) Read more at the above link...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:14:00 pm by SirLinksALot »

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Acting AG Matt Whitaker To Take Authority On Mueller Probe From Rosenstein
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 10:16:01 pm »
My guess is Whitaker will either issue a new memo directing the investigation in a specific way or dismiss Mueller entirely.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 10:20:52 pm »
My guess is Whitaker will either issue a new memo directing the investigation in a specific way or dismiss Mueller entirely.

He is on the record as a Mueller hater so he is going to take the path that embarrasses Stupid Bobby.

Offline edpc

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 10:34:50 pm »
He is on the record as a Mueller hater so he is going to take the path that embarrasses Stupid Bobby.

Specifically, he’s on record as saying the investigation of Trump financials are outside the scope.  If he limits or dismisses on that basis, look for House Ways And Means Committee Chair Richard Neal hit the ground running in 2019, with investigations into Trump’s tax returns.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 10:38:05 pm »

Specifically, he’s on record as saying the investigation of Trump financials are outside the scope.  If he limits or dismisses on that basis, look for House Ways And Means Committee Chair Richard Neal hit the ground running in 2019, with investigations into Trump’s tax returns.

No. He's on the record calling the Mueller Probe a "Witch Hunt". That's why Schumer is bent out of shape that he won't recuse himself.

Offline edpc

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 11:00:47 pm »
No. He's on the record calling the Mueller Probe a "Witch Hunt".

Yes, within the context I previously mentioned.

“Mueller has come up to a red line in the Russia 2016 election-meddling investigation that he is dangerously close to crossing,” Whitaker wrote. “If he were to continue to investigate the [Trump family’s] financial relationships without a broadened scope in his appointment, then this would raise serious concerns that the special counsel’s investigation was a mere witch hunt.”

https://www-m.cnn.com/2017/08/06/opinions/rosenstein-should-curb-mueller-whittaker-opinion/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mediaite.com%2Fonline%2Fnew-ag-nominee-matthew-whitaker-said-mueller-probe-going-too-far-in-august-last-year%2F
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:13:44 pm by edpc »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 11:05:05 pm »
And right on cue the Dems call for Whitaker to recuse himself fro the Russia probe.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 11:43:15 pm »
Sessions' successor, now overseeing Mueller probe, argued for limiting it
Washington Times, Nov 7, 2018, Jeff Mordock -

Acting Attorney General Matthew G. Whitaker, who will now oversee special counsel Robert Mueller’s probe into Russian collusion with the Trump campaign, has publicly advocated for limiting the scope of that investigation.

In August 2017, two months before Mr. Whitaker joined the Justice Department, he penned an op-ed for CNN arguing that the special counsel could cross a line if he began investigating the finances of President Trump and his family.

“It does not take a lawyer or even a former federal prosecutor like myself to conclude that investigating Donald Trump’s finances or his family’s finances falls completely outside the realm of his 2016 campaign and allegations that the campaign coordinated with the Russian government or anyone else,” Mr. Whitaker wrote. “That goes beyond the scope of the special counsel.”

But it is not the only time Mr. Whitaker has expressed skepticism of the Mueller probe.

More:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/nov/7/matthew-whitaker-acting-ag-argued-limiting-mueller/?utm_source=spotim&utm_medium=spotim_recirculation&spotim_referrer=recirculation

Offline bilo

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2018, 12:02:38 am »

They are going to do that any way. Trump is going to fight it and it will end up at the SCOTUS. I don't think it will matter how the court rules, there's nothing in his tax returns other than his ability to minimize his tax liability legally. Anyone who thinks the IRS hasn't been going over his returns with a fine tooth comb for years doesn't realize how successful business people get scrutinized.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2018, 12:04:32 am »
They are going to do that any way. Trump is going to fight it and it will end up at the SCOTUS. I don't think it will matter how the court rules, there's nothing in his tax returns other than his ability to minimize his tax liability legally. Anyone who thinks the IRS hasn't been going over his returns with a fine tooth comb for years doesn't realize how successful business people get scrutinized.

All of these Dems that think they can get to Trump via the Emoluments Clause...had better take a good hard look at their own dealings with foreign countries and their agents first.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2018, 12:09:09 am »
And right on cue the Dems call for Whitaker to recuse himself fro the Russia probe.
AND defending Sessions.  Why?  Distraction most likely.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy

Offline bilo

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2018, 12:21:40 am »
All of these Dems that think they can get to Trump via the Emoluments Clause...had better take a good hard look at their own dealings with foreign countries and their agents first.

You're so right. Why people want to feed this blind rage by voting for Rats is beyond me.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 01:51:20 am »
I didn't know Matt went to Washington, know him from the politicking days.
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 04:46:52 am »
AND defending Sessions.  Why?  Distraction most likely.

At first the DEMS put up a battle when Trump appointed Sessions ... but they've been defending him for quite awhile. I believe they in some way they bought and paid him as he's allowed the witch hunt under Rosenstein/Mueller.  Now that Sessions is out the door, of course they are going to cry foul and now want Whitaker to recuse himself also so that the supposed investigation can continue.

I believe that there is no Trump/Russia collusion. Considering what we just saw the DEMS try to pull with Kavanaugh and what lengths they will go to, to get their way, is there any doubt that the whole Trump/Russia collusion is b.s.?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline RetBobbyMI

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 02:58:35 pm »
I believe the Senate was in Recess, so Whitaker will be there awhile and could even get Senate confirmation if McTurtle pushes the issue
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."  -- John Wayne
"Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.� ? Euripides, The Bacchae
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.� ? Laurence J. Peter, The Peter Principle
"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand.� ? Bertrand Russell, A History of Western Philosophy