Author Topic: I Need Some Help On Two Ballot Questions (Virginia)  (Read 565 times)

Offline mrclose

I Need Some Help On Two Ballot Questions (Virginia)
« on: November 06, 2018, 01:04:50 am »
I know that the following is in English but I don't have a clue as to what the questions are actually asking? 22222frying pan

Both questions are on tomorrows ballots.

If you don't live in Virginia but know the answers anyway .. Please jump right in!

"Hell is empty, all the devil's are here!"
~ Self

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: I Need Some Help On Two Ballot Questions (Virginia)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:09:02 am »
When in doubt always vote no.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 01:10:32 am »
Do you want to help your neighbors who live in flood plains by giving them an exemption?  Their property is probably less valued because it isn't fit for building.  Or if it has building they have probably been damaged in flood?

Seems like the county should be responsible for placing appropriate tax and value on property.  I don't know why they are going to voters.

Frank is right.  If they are going to offset the cost of those exemptions by raising everyone else's then no is the answer.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:12:00 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 01:32:10 am »
Do you want to help your neighbors who live in flood plains by giving them an exemption?  Their property is probably less valued because it isn't fit for building.  Or if it has building they have probably been damaged in flood?

Seems like the county should be responsible for placing appropriate tax and value on property.  I don't know why they are going to voters.

Frank is right.  If they are going to offset the cost of those exemptions by raising everyone else's then no is the answer.

@Chosen Daughter

Thank You.
Any idea on the second question?
~ Self

Online libertybele

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 01:41:36 am »
@Chosen Daughter

Thank You.

I see #1 differently; the property owner would get an exemption IF the property has been 'improved' to resist flooding.  I see it as an incentive to those that own property that is prone to flooding to make improvements; thus in a long run saving the other taxpayers money.

But ... how does one make improvements to a piece of property to make it less flood prone???
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline mrclose

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 01:44:34 am »
I see #1 differently; the property owner would get an exemption IF the property has been 'improved' to resist flooding.  I see it as an incentive to those that own property that is prone to flooding to make improvements; thus in a long run saving the other taxpayers money.

But ... how does one make improvements to a piece of property to make it less flood prone???

@libertybele

Now you know why I posted this! LOL

I also saw both sides to the question!

Still working on #2. 22222frying pan
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 01:45:39 am by mrclose »
~ Self

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 01:51:44 am »

I don't know, but you are right.  That is the intention to give exemption if they make improvements.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 01:53:34 am »

I don't see it that way.  The way I read it, the STATE is ALLOWING the local area to lower LOCAL taxes on the property.  WT#?

As to your question, you raise it.  Where I live, if you make improvements that raise the property value more than like 50%, you have to raise the property (house) like three feet. 
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 01:53:53 am »
@Chosen Daughter

Thank You.

I defer to @libertybele.  She has the correct understanding of 1

2 seems straightforward.  Should the widow have an exemption if she moves from the primary residence.  The only thing I question is whether she sells first primary residence.  Otherwise she/he could have multiple exemptions on multiple properties.  Rent them out?

« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 02:01:24 am by Chosen Daughter »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 02:44:27 am »
FWIW, I'm a "no" on the first and a "yes" on the second.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 05:58:11 am »
FWIW, I'm a "no" on the first and a "yes" on the second.

agree.