Author Topic: This election is a referendum on Donald Trump's corrosive impact on our politics  (Read 421 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/11/04/election-referendum-trump-corrosive-changes-american-politics-column/1871790002/

Executive power? Republicans once defended the principle of limited government. No longer. Today, Trump talks about rolling back the 14th Amendment of the Constitution ("birthright citizenship") by executive order, and a mostly compliant GOP and its servants in the right-wing media scramble to praise this Caesarism not only as defensible and but as lovely to behold.

Judicial overreach? The Republican Party I joined in my youth during the Reagan years was implacably opposed to the rule of “unelected judges.” Today, Republicans are so insecure about their own ideas that they have sold out everything else conservatives once cared about — free trade, a strong foreign and defense policy, the importance of character in politics — to get two more Supreme Court justices they hope will carry on their narrow crusades (primarily against Obamacare and legalized abortion) even if they themselves are swept from power.

Some Republicans, while wincing, are meekly trying to sell a passel of judges, a tax cut and some regulatory rollback as worth all of this. Others, meanwhile, have followed the president’s lead and resorted to inane but nonetheless dangerous conspiracy theories. They warn of an “invasion” of migrants, chant the mantra of “fake news,” and level the usual scummy and anti-Semitic slurs on “globalists” and the orders they’re supposedly taking from Jewish philanthropist George Soros.

More at link

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Editorial/opinion by Tom Nichols.

Offline skeeter

Yawn.

Anything these bitter ‘ex republican’ hacks have to say Steve Schmidt has already said.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 06:01:39 pm by skeeter »

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
At least, we didn't get Max Boot... oooops.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
The Republican Party of my youth, relied on common sense, like Opposing unfair trade, opposing unlimited illegal immigration, and scoffed at fools, like these self-righteous fools.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Night Hides Not

Anyone with a lick of common sense knows that the rise of Trump was the reaction to the corrosive tactics of liberals over the past 50 years.

Now we’re locked in a battle to the death... of our Republic.

Neither party is interested in solving problems, it’s all about the acquisition of power, and the personal wealth that comes from it.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Editorial/opinion by Tom Nichols.

That reminds me of my best friend in high school who would always say, "Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry, for anger resteth in the bosum of fools."  Eclesiastics 7.9
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Frank Cannon

LOL. This guy is a first class loser and a nobody. He wrote another laughable shit piece a month ago that outed him a Leftist stooge....

Why I’m Leaving the Republican Party

The Kavanaugh confirmation fight revealed the GOP to be the party of situational ethics and moral relativism in the name of winning at all costs.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/10/tom-nichols-why-im-leaving-republican-party/572419/

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Executive power? Republicans once defended the principle of limited government. No longer. Today, Trump talks about rolling back the 14th Amendment of the Constitution ("birthright citizenship") by executive order, and a mostly compliant GOP and its servants in the right-wing media scramble to praise this Caesarism not only as defensible and but as lovely to behold.

There is no rolling back.  That Amendment was to make slaves citizens.  It isn't meant for people to come here illegally and pop out a citizen.  I am sure that he has created a storm of scholar debate on the issue. 

It is time for this stupidity to end.  Women cross the border illegally 8-9 months pregnant.  Asians have set up birthing hotels.  It is ridiculous and needs to be settled now.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:21:03 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.