Author Topic: N. Korea threatens to resume nuke development over sanctions  (Read 442 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
N. Korea threatens to resume nuke development over sanctions
« on: November 04, 2018, 02:51:21 am »
N. Korea threatens to resume nuke development over sanctions

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea has warned it could revive a state policy aimed at strengthening its nuclear arsenal if the United States does not lift economic sanctions against the country.

The statement released by the Foreign Ministry on Friday evening said North Korea could bring back its "pyongjin" policy of simultaneously advancing its nuclear force and economic development if the United States doesn't change its stance. The North sopped short of threatening to abandon ongoing nuclear negotiations with Washington.

Still, it accused Washington of derailing commitments made by North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and President Donald Trump at their June summit in Singapore to work toward a nuclear-free Korean Peninsula. It was the first time the North said it could potentially resume weapons tests and other development activities since Kim signaled a new state policy in April.

Continued at: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/n-korea-threatens-to-resume-nuke-development-over-sanctions/ar-BBPhFFC?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
Re: N. Korea threatens to resume nuke development over sanctions
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 02:56:39 am »
I don't understand this shit. We've sacrificed billions of dollars and the blood of the brave to wage futile wars for what seems like forever now. Then you've got this situation, where you could literally take out a paranoid dictator's entire power structure with one well placed missile. After that we could drop some food with American flags all over it to North Korean civilians. Does anybody really think his starving and oppressed people are going to seek vengeance for the death of their beloved leader after that?

The only thing that makes sense is that China would possibly feel threatened if we were conducting combat operations so close to their borders. If that's the case then they need to do something about this. There's no way Kim is going to disobey China; he understands his place in the world better than most people assume he does I think.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 02:57:19 am by Dexter »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 03:06:21 am »
I don't understand this shit. We've sacrificed billions of dollars and the blood of the brave to wage futile wars for what seems like forever now. Then you've got this situation, where you could literally take out a paranoid dictator's entire power structure with one well placed missile. After that we could drop some food with American flags all over it to North Korean civilians. Does anybody really think his starving and oppressed people are going to seek vengeance for the death of their beloved leader after that?

The only thing that makes sense is that China would possibly feel threatened if we were conducting combat operations so close to their borders. If that's the case then they need to do something about this. There's no way Kim is going to disobey China; he understands his place in the world better than most people assume he does I think.

"possibly"

:whistle:
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 03:09:39 am »
"possibly"

:whistle:

Right, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to feel that way. Fine, they need to do something then, and soon.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 08:00:59 am »
Right, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to feel that way. Fine, they need to do something then, and soon.

Just like the original conflict, the question has always been what China would do in a post-Kim North Korea.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 08:14:27 am »

I think you underestimate just how brainwashed the people under him are. Soul SK would take heavy civilian losses if you're bet goes south. How many dead South Koreans is it worth to take NK out?

The real point of leverage on NK is China. NK is China's proxy and has been all this time. Make the cost high enough for China and they may do something about it. Frankly I think we should tell China that NK is threatening the US and our allies with nuclear weapons and if you don't reign in your dog will give China's neighbors including Japan nuclear weapons. That would get their attention.