Author Topic: Don't jail addicts. Overdose prevention sites work, and the US needs to get on board.  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Wow!  Gaining a whole new perspective about opiods and pain sufferers.  It's a different world.

God bless you all.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Victoria33

roamer_1

I take four pills for fibro.  Two of them help sleep: the Amitriptyline makes one sleepy, plus another pill is for sleep.  A person who has fibro. tends to have an overactive brain so it is difficult to shut down the brain for sleep.  I do not take Valium and it has never been prescribed for fibro.

Offline Frank Cannon

roamer_1

"The problem is, there really aren't many alternatives - In foregoing opiates, I stand a better than average chance of developing alcoholism instead, as at least for me, opiates and alcohol are the most effective answers to acute pain episodes.
In fact, I am strongly considering getting back on opiates for the winter, hoops and all, because at least until I get more physically fit, opiates are the better option, as I can be far more active on opiates."

You also say you have fibromyalgia.  Me, too, diagnosed years ago by a neurologist.  At that time, every muscle in my body hurt so that I couldn't bush my teeth without back muscles actually rippling in pain.  Couldn't put on clothes, wore a robe all day.  Then, feet began having stabbing pains and couldn't work without pain, had to use a cane.  Went to neurologist and was diagnosed - he gave me Amitriptyline and in three days I was out washing my car.

It has gotten worse over the years.  Can have back muscles go into spasm for a whole day - can't move a bit all day - the time before last it happened, took hydrocodone (opioid) as prescribed, it didn't touch the pain, drank half a bottle of wine until Bob took it away from me, that also didn't lower the pain so I could stand it. Death would be better to stop the pain.

Next time I went to doc, he gave me a anti-spasm pill to go with hydrocodone (opioid) and upped the mg in hydrocodone (an opioid).  I now go to a orthopedic doctor for another serious problem and he has taken over the opioid ordering and added Lyrica med.  There are serious side effects from that pill and the dose had to be lowered as I couldn't function - could not write, could not spell words, messed up my mind; Bob thought of taking me to an emergency room.  I dropped the dosage myself to get me back to normal.  Then, went back to doctor.

Some people have medical problems that cause pain constantly all day.  You and I are two of those people.  There is plenty of alcohol in this house but I have not gone down that road except for the time of drinking the wine.  Medicine is developed to help people - not to create addicts.  Use them according to the prescribed dosage and if they create a problem instead of helping, get the dosage fixed by doctor.

One time there was a family member here who is a liberal to the max.  She said no one should take an opioid since they were killing people.  I told her why I took it; then, she said "I" should have it but no one else.  When it comes down to someone a liberal knows, the liberal changes his/her mind about opioids.

So you are saying hydrocodone (opioid) isn't bad for me? I guess I should get some of this hydrocodone (opioid). Hydrocodone (opioid) sounds like some good stuff.

Offline RoosGirl

So you are saying hydrocodone (opioid) isn't bad for me? I guess I should get some of this hydrocodone (opioid). Hydrocodone (opioid) sounds like some good stuff.

Are you sure you're not taking it already?

Offline Victoria33

@Frank Cannon

I knew you would make a stupid reply and you did.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
There is a chapter in the Big Book of AA titled "Into Action."

There is NOT a chapter titled "Into Thinking."

A very common problem with addiction, is being Too damn Smart.

The Non-12 step path is to "think your way into better actions, whereas the 12 step path is to act your way into better thinking.

Addiction is mainly a thinking problem.

It is the "thought," that you need the cigarette, the drink, the pain killer.

As in "just one more time," and I will then quit, moderate, manage better, etc.

Thinking, thinking thinking--stinking thinking.

The book, published in 1939, is widely available online, for free.

Th AA 12 step program has been used, and appears in almost every type of "treatment" and "recovery" program.

Why so? Because it works.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
There is a chapter in the Big Book of AA titled "Into Action."

There is NOT a chapter titled "Into Thinking."

A very common problem with addiction, is being Too damn Smart.

The Non-12 step path is to "think your way into better actions, whereas the 12 step path is to act your way into better thinking.

Addiction is mainly a thinking problem.

It is the "thought," that you need the cigarette, the drink, the pain killer.

As in "just one more time," and I will then quit, moderate, manage better, etc.

Thinking, thinking thinking--stinking thinking.

The book, published in 1939, is widely available online, for free.

Th AA 12 step program has been used, and appears in almost every type of "treatment" and "recovery" program.

Why so? Because it works.

I have a close friend who was an alcoholic.  Came back from Viet Nam with problems.  I mentioned rehabilitation centers to him once and he said, "Rehab is where you pay $5,000 to learn about AA." 
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Of course you leave out the qualifier, of course it isn't bad for you if you have a legitimate medical need and use it as prescribed/as needed. But I think you should just stick with alcohol, it seems to work for you.

Offline roamer_1

You also say you have fibromyalgia. 

@Victoria33
Inflammatory arthritis and fibromialgia are my two diagnoses... Both of which are huge catch-alls that basically mean I swell up and hurt, and they don't know why... Personally, I think my main problem is lyme disease, though proving it is nigh on impossible.

Me, too, diagnosed years ago by a neurologist.  At that time, every muscle in my body hurt so that I couldn't bush my teeth without back muscles actually rippling in pain.  Couldn't put on clothes, wore a robe all day.  Then, feet began having stabbing pains and couldn't work without pain, had to use a cane.  Went to neurologist and was diagnosed - he gave me Amitriptyline and in three days I was out washing my car.

It has gotten worse over the years.  Can have back muscles go into spasm for a whole day - can't move a bit all day - the time before last it happened, took hydrocodone (opioid) as prescribed, it didn't touch the pain, drank half a bottle of wine until Bob took it away from me, that also didn't lower the pain so I could stand it. Death would be better to stop the pain.

Next time I went to doc, he gave me a anti-spasm pill to go with hydrocodone (opioid) and upped the mg in hydrocodone (an opioid).  I now go to a orthopedic doctor for another serious problem and he has taken over the opioid ordering and added Lyrica med.  There are serious side effects from that pill and the dose had to be lowered as I couldn't function - could not write, could not spell words, messed up my mind; Bob thought of taking me to an emergency room.  I dropped the dosage myself to get me back to normal.  Then, went back to doctor.

I went down the same road - Wound up in a wheelchair for 7 years... I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

But taking 20 pills a day never was my gig. And it was not being effective... One of the things that really, really helped me out, was finding out that I don't assimilate western medicine well... I went to natural or hillbilly means for intake of vitamins and minerals, and even medicines... I lost my wife toward the end of my time in a wheelchair (divorce), and because of that, I went back to natural foods, fresh and real, as that is what I knew... Those things made a massive difference for me.... The whole food as medicine idea.

Another big thing was Natural Calm - A magnesium supplement that I use on and off... It is primary for getting rid of muscle spasms and charlie horses...And that lead me to pay serious attention to the VitD/calcium/magnesium triumvirate (can't absorb any without all three), and potassium is in there too, for the sake of magnesium... All of which I must find as naturally as possible... pills work very poorly for me.

If I start getting that 'worms under the skin' feeling, I know I have to get on magnesium. I am on it for a week to ten days or so (it gives you the squirts when you've had enough), and then I am fortified for a month or two, and have hardly any spasms or charlie horses at all. If it doesn't work, something is off with vitamin D or calcium...  And I eat a lot of sweet potato and banana to keep potassium levels up there.. Wild meat, natural forage and garden fresh foods make a huge difference.

Some people have medical problems that cause pain constantly all day.  You and I are two of those people.  There is plenty of alcohol in this house but I have not gone down that road except for the time of drinking the wine.  Medicine is developed to help people - not to create addicts.  Use them according to the prescribed dosage and if they create a problem instead of helping, get the dosage fixed by doctor.

I agree with you, but it ain't all that easy. After a while it turns into a maintenance program, and folks stop looking for answers. I was bouncing around high doses of norcs, vikes, and oxys, swapping them up for effectiveness, and losing the game. I am much happier now, and more functional without all that. I still hurt, and probably always will, but it is very much reduced, and very bearable, so long as I don't let it take off and take over. The nice part of that is how effective opiates are when I do need em... half a Norco 7.5 lights me up, where I was taking 6 of them a day, and still having trouble with pain.

Different strokes and all... But it is working for me.

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon

I knew you would make a stupid reply and you did.

So you are saying that hydrocodone (opioid) makes you clairvoyant! I definitely need to get my hands on some hydrocodone (opioid) then and head to the sports book (gambling). I can make a killing this weekend (coke and whores).

Offline Victoria33

So you are saying that hydrocodone (opioid) makes you clairvoyant! I definitely need to get my hands on some hydrocodone (opioid) then and head to the sports book (gambling). I can make a killing this weekend (coke and whores).
@Frank Cannon

Another stupid post you made.  If you ever want to talk seriously about something, send me a private message as it is obvious you cannot do it on a thread.

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon

Another stupid post you made.  If you ever want to talk seriously about something, send me a private message as it is obvious you cannot do it on a thread.

I would PM you on a serious discussion but I don't want to overstimulate your overactive mind this close to your bed time.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Rheumatoid arthritis can be a side effect of hep C.
The hepatitis C virus can contribute to imbalances, inflammation, and other reactions that affect your nervous system and mental state. As a result, peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage in the hands and feet) and cognitive problems can develop. In addition, cirrhosis can eventually make the liver so ineffective that toxins build up in the brain, causing a condition called hepatic encephalopathy, which leads to confusion, sleepiness, and disorientation.

I lived that nightmare. My whole body hurt. A lot.

I finally tried an opioid. It didn't help. I tried it for 3 days. The only thing that did help was prescription ibuprofen. Even at that, I had gotten so sick I had the plan to tell the doc the opioid worked great, save them up and leave.

I still take the script ibuprofen.  I still have a lot of joint pain. Most of that is from work. And getting older. Some of it may be permanent nerve damage.

Anyone out there tried hemp oil? The CBD oil. Doesn't have very much THC, or any. It supposedly helps with pain.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:02:54 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Victoria33

I would PM you on a serious discussion but I don't want to overstimulate your overactive mind this close to your bed time.
@Frank Cannon

Now, you make a comment about my age. Guess it's time to call the moderator. (Ring, ring.)

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon

Now, you make a comment about my age. Guess it's time to call the moderator. (Ring, ring.)

Madam. You obviously suffer from paranoia and delusions. I say this seriously as a mental health professional. I took several  psych classes when I got my Bachelors of Science. At no point in that post did I mention your age, your sex, your height, your hair color or your shoe size. I referenced your mental ailment that was mentioned by you in a previous post and then discussed you going to bed. That is all.

Offline Victoria33

Rheumatoid arthritis can be a side effect of hep C.
I lived that nightmare. My whole body hurt. A lot.  I finally tried an opioid. It didn't help. I tried it for 3 days. The only thing that did help was prescription ibuprofen. Even at that, I had gotten so sick I had the plan to tell the doc the opioid worked great, save them up and leave.  I still take the script ibuprofen.  I still have a lot of joint pain. Most of that is from work. And getting older. Some of it may be permanent nerve damage.  Anyone out there tried hemp oil? The CBD oil. Doesn't have very much THC, or any. It supposedly helps with pain.

One almost has to live pain to understand pain.  There are three times I would have chosen death in order to stop pain - your brain feels like it is exploding continually and you can't stop it.  I understand that pain, Fred.

Offline Victoria33

@Frank Cannon
You are back on Ignore as of right now.

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon
You are back on Ignore as of right now.

I just referenced my trusty DSM and putting me on ignore is a sign of disturbance. I would expand further but, as you said, you put me on ignore and you will not be able to benefit from my diagnosis.