Author Topic: Reporter Accuses Trump Of Encouraging Political Violence — Trump Flips The Script  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Once again, yep! I’m old enough to remember (cough cough 2008-2016 cough cough) when we didn’t expect hope from a politician. Same cult of personality, different personality.

It's not a cult of personality.  It's a movement for results. 

But keep jerking that knee.

Offline goodwithagun

It's not a cult of personality.  It's a movement for results

But keep jerking that knee.

Like I told an Obama fan a few years ago when she said the same thing: So is taking a dump.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Like I told an Obama fan a few years ago when she said the same thing: So is taking a dump.

If you can't tell the difference between the two, what is being fought for now, maybe political thought isn't your forte @goodwithagun   The President and his supporters are actually fighting for you.    :shrug:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 12:36:57 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline goodwithagun

If you can't tell the difference between the two, what is being fought for now, maybe political thought isn't your forte @goodwithagun   The President and his supporters are actually fighting for you.    :shrug:

Ahh, no way to argue the cult of personality so insult the messenger.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Ahh, no way to argue the cult of personality so insult the messenger.

I've already told you this is a movement for results, and Donald Trump is the one who promised them ... and is delivering.  No other candidate convinced us.....most did not even try.

So your not "getting" that this is not a cult of personality tells me you're either being intentionally obtuse or it's just not in your wheelhouse.

So, keep jerking that knee and miss what's happening all around you.  Doesn't change my life one bit.  :shrug:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:09:25 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline goodwithagun

I've already told you this is a movement for results, and Donald Trump is the one who promised them ... and is delivering.  No other candidate convinced us.....most did not even try.

So your not "getting" that this is not a cult of personality tells me you're either being intentionally obtuse or it's just not in your wheelhouse.

So, keep jerking that knee and miss what's happening all around you.  Doesn't change my life one bit.  :shrug:

More name calling, no defense of cult of personality. I know you are but what am I is no argument. Bye Felicia!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline aligncare

Donald Trump is not given to making empty speeches about conservative principles like your typical republican politician before they go back to sleep and to business as usual.

On the contrary; President Trump is a doer; a simple patriot doing the common sense things that need doing and delivering conservative results – not rhetoric. Big difference between Donald Trump and and your typical politician.

Silver Pines

Donald Trump is not given to making empty speeches about conservative principles like your typical republican politician before they go back to sleep and to business as usual.

On the contrary; President Trump is a doer; a simple patriot doing the common sense things that need doing and delivering conservative results – not rhetoric. Big difference between Donald Trump and and your typical politician.

@aligncare

You see how it works, though?  You deny it’s a cult of personality, but you’re quick to pounce on any criticism—not of policy, but of the man himself.

Go check out the rally threads at TOS and try to claim it isn’t a cult of personality.  “President Trump is touching the moon and the stars, and will soon touch the sun!  I love him!”

Straight-up worship and unbalanced nuttery.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

You mean speeches like ones where pre-election middle class tax cuts and executive orders rescinding birthright are promised?
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
You poor suppressed guy.  :crying:

Not sure what that means, or what you're implying.  So let me give you a bit of context.

My best friend of 40 years is a Bernie fan.  We've always been able to discuss politics while remaining friends because we don't assume the worst about the other.  Our discussions have always been more along the lines of "I just want to understand how someone I like can see things so differently."  And it has always worked.  However, we have barely discussed Trump at all, and haven't been in as much contact as usual since the election.

I recently got an email from him apologizing for the relative lack of contact, and saying he has been struggling with trying to reconcile my support of Trump with our friendship.  More tellingly, he said that most of the people in his circles have basically eliminating socializing with anyone who supports Trump.  He said he realized how ridiculous it sounded when he wrote it all down, and was going to try to do better.  So the issue isn't really my friend in particular -- it's that this is a common sentiment among a lot of Democrats/progressives.

Family/friendship arguments and even splits over politics, etc., have happened in the past, and are nothing new.  But this new attitude on the left is something much different -- it is ostracizing/separating from anyone who supports the guy in office, even if you haven't had a single argument or disagreement with the person in question.

That reflects a level of animus and vitriol that we have never seen before except during the Revolution and the Civil War.  And there really is no causative explanation for that other than passions being deliberately inflamed by the media and cultural elites.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Right_in_Virginia

There is no cure for stupidity,or any hope of being able to communicate with them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@aligncare

You see how it works, though?  You deny it’s a cult of personality, but you’re quick to pounce on any criticism—not of policy, but of the man himself.

Go check out the rally threads at TOS and try to claim it isn’t a cult of personality.  “President Trump is touching the moon and the stars, and will soon touch the sun!  I love him!”

Straight-up worship and unbalanced nuttery.

@CatherineofAragon

This may have escaped your attention,but this is not Freak Republic,and Freak Republic is not a site most of us respect or even visit.

Nor is it the "He man daddy" of political web sites that sets the tone,no matter how much you may miss posting there.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Not sure what that means, or what you're implying.  So let me give you a bit of context.

My best friend of 40 years is a Bernie fan.  We've always been able to discuss politics while remaining friends because we don't assume the worst about the other.  Our discussions have always been more along the lines of "I just want to understand how someone I like can see things so differently."  And it has always worked.  However, we have barely discussed Trump at all, and haven't been in as much contact as usual since the election.

I recently got an email from him apologizing for the relative lack of contact, and saying he has been struggling with trying to reconcile my support of Trump with our friendship.  More tellingly, he said that most of the people in his circles have basically eliminating socializing with anyone who supports Trump.  He said he realized how ridiculous it sounded when he wrote it all down, and was going to try to do better.  So the issue isn't really my friend in particular -- it's that this is a common sentiment among a lot of Democrats/progressives.

Family/friendship arguments and even splits over politics, etc., have happened in the past, and are nothing new.  But this new attitude on the left is something much different -- it is ostracizing/separating from anyone who supports the guy in office, even if you haven't had a single argument or disagreement with the person in question.

That reflects a level of animus and vitriol that we have never seen before except during the Revolution and the Civil War.  And there really is no causative explanation for that other than passions being deliberately inflamed by the media and cultural elites.

@Maj. Bill Martin

You've nailed it here, sir!  What's happening "out there...", is surreal. 

My closest friend is apolitical himself, but his wife is a raging liberal and Obama/Hillary supporter.   This doesn't say that she likes to argue with anybody, anywhere.  But when it's just the two of them she is very opinionated if I were to praise Pres. Trump.

Shoot pool with him at least twice a week, since 2001.  Brought my table to his house when I downsized.

We have not discussed politics in any fashion since their circle of friends all laughed uncontrollably when they I told them deadpan, that "Trump is going to win" back in late August, 2016.

...and haven't been invited back to a monthly dinner, since.    :laugh:

And we haven't even discussed BookFace...   
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:11:25 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Maj. Bill Martin

It's not just Dims or other communists that like to play dress up as being progressive. Maybe the most rabid Trump-Haters are the Republican Pod People,who only vote for or support RNC officially approved candidates. IOW,Bush Bots.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

Interesting @Maj. Bill Martin and I have noticed that, in the cases of the people who have cut off friendships with me (and I'm talking in real life not on opinion boards) have all been liberals.

It's just something about their mindsets.  It kind of reeks of desperation, maybe an unacknowledged fear that they are wrong and we are actually right.  Can't really explain it.  But when you send someone a Christmas card and they return it, torn into pieces, you begin to wonder.

I won't discuss politics with my family even though they are mostly conservative.  Oddly enough, I can discuss religion with them even though that's supposed to be one of the three banned subjects.

What's the third?  Can't remember right now.

But I'll never forget hearing a leading democrat a few years ago talking about how much he regrets having lost several years of alienation with his own parents over the Viet Nam War.

Anyway, I keep resolving not to let anyone here goad me into getting into petty little personal battles with them.  I occasional do, and have regretted it every time, although some people feed on it.

Hang in there, Major.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Interesting @

It's just something about their mindsets.  It kind of reeks of desperation, maybe an unacknowledged fear that they are wrong and we are actually right.  Can't really explain it. 

I think that's sort of wishful thinking, to be honest.  They don't secretly worry that we're right.  I think it's that instead of just using hyperbole as a way to make an argument, and recognizing it for what it is, they've actually come to believe it.  The way I think of it is that if I believed everything I've read about Trump, I might feel the same way about him.  The thing is that they really do believe it.

Hang in there, Major.

Thanks, but it's okay.   We're getting together later this week for something we do every year, and our last few phone calls/emails have been fine because politics hasn't even come up.   Of course, there's midterms, so who knows what they might trigger.  But I think it will work out.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I think that's sort of wishful thinking, to be honest.  They don't secretly worry that we're right.  I think it's that instead of just using hyperbole as a way to make an argument, and recognizing it for what it is, they've actually come to believe it.  The way I think of it is that if I believed everything I've read about Trump, I might feel the same way about him.  The thing is that they really do believe it.

Thanks, but it's okay.   We're getting together later this week for something we do every year, and our last few phone calls/emails have been fine because politics hasn't even come up.   Of course, there's midterms, so who knows what they might trigger.  But I think it will work out.

I have to disagree a tiny bit.  I don't think it's wishful thinking altogether.  I think there is an element of fear involved.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

@Maj. Bill Martin

You've nailed it here, sir!  What's happening "out there...", is surreal. 

My closest friend is apolitical himself, but his wife is a raging liberal and Obama/Hillary supporter.   This doesn't say that she likes to argue with anybody, anywhere.  But when it's just the two of them she is very opinionated if I were to praise Pres. Trump.

Shoot pool with him at least twice a week, since 2001.  Brought my table to his house when I downsized.

We have not discussed politics in any fashion since their circle of friends all laughed uncontrollably when they I told them deadpan, that "Trump is going to win" back in late August, 2016.

...and haven't been invited back to a monthly dinner, since.    :laugh:

And we haven't even discussed BookFace...

Many of them truly believe that if you support Trump's policies, you're evil.

Whenever I get cornered/badgered by someone on the left who wants to argue about him, I lead off with:  "I'd rather have someone say the wrong things but do the right things, than say the right things but do the wrong things.  And I acknowledge that Trump has said some stupid, offensive things.  So if you believe that what he says is more important than what he does, then there is no point in us talking.  But if you want to discuss policies, I'm in."

It works more often than not.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

I have to disagree a tiny bit.  I don't think it's wishful thinking altogether.  I think there is an element of fear involved.

Personally, I think the fear comes believing their own rhetoric/hyperbole.  Because if they truly believe everything they say, then I can't blame them for being scared.  But that's what makes arguing with them so futile in general -- if there isn't any agreement on what the facts/truth actually are, there's no way to have a decent discussion because you're discussing two different realities.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 03:56:43 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline skeeter

Interesting @Maj. Bill Martin and I have noticed that, in the cases of the people who have cut off friendships with me (and I'm talking in real life not on opinion boards) have all been liberals.

It's just something about their mindsets.  It kind of reeks of desperation, maybe an unacknowledged fear that they are wrong and we are actually right.  Can't really explain it.  But when you send someone a Christmas card and they return it, torn into pieces, you begin to wonder.

To the leftist The Creator is no longer their raison d'être - the government is. And political power has become the means by which their dreams can come true.

YOU are keeping them from happiness and well being they desperately seek and is promised by their elected representative.

I'm becoming as desperate to keep them from it as they are to obtain it. Thats why they hate us so much.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
And, snotty comebacks work better with correct spelling.
I believe the spelling was just fine, the grammar however...........and now I will go sit in the corner for being a grammar nazi!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:25:38 pm by GtHawk »

Offline goodwithagun

@Right_in_Virginia

There is no cure for stupidity,or any hope of being able to communicate with them.

Once again, name callling with no defense of position .
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline aligncare

Once again, name callling with no defense of position .

As a Trump critic you’re impervious to facts and reason, even though Trump’s documented conservative wins are everywhere. What would be the point of spoon feeding you facts.

But, go ahead, keep treading water with your critiques and complaints. It’s your loss.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
As Harry Truman said, "Tell the truth.  It will please some people and astonish the rest."

I thought that was Mark Twain.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 04:54:46 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
“President Trump is touching the moon and the stars, and will soon touch the sun!  I love him!”

@CatherineofAragon

Somebody actually wrote that?  :facepalm2: