Author Topic: Trump is Pandering to Border Hawks with Political Stunts, While Actually Betraying Their Cause  (Read 285 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.mediaite.com/columnists/trump-is-pandering-to-border-hawks-with-political-stunts-while-actually-betraying-their-cause/

If there was just one reality about our modern politics that I could magically make the average person understand, it is that the truth is very often not just different from the common perception, but actually the exact opposite of it. There is currently no better example of this than President Donald Trump and the issue of illegal immigration, which he has cynically made the centerpiece of the GOP’s midterm election campaign.

The widely-held perception, at least among Republicans, is that Trump, who has talked tough on border issues since the moment he began his presidential campaign more than three years ago, is the greatest thing that has happened in our modern history for curtailing illegal immigration. The reality is that he has actually done very little, if anything, to help deal with the problem. And he has actually ensured that nothing he ever promotes about the issue will actually happen for at least a generation, and probably forever.

During the campaign Trump bragged endlessly about how he would build a great wall on our southern border and force Mexico to pay for it. That was always an obvious con intended to manipulate stupid people (it worked!), and of course, two years into his presidency there is no sign that is ever going to happen.

more at link

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Given how the last migrant caravan back last Spring have all been set loose into the country - I would say this opinion has merit.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Given how the last migrant caravan back last Spring have all been set loose into the country - I would say this opinion has merit.
To me, it's undeniable.  You have a critical eye on the political landscape INVAR