Author Topic: Cheerleaders must be dropped from sport (POSTED FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY)  (Read 11040 times)

Offline musiclady

Interesting.  I've only known one (NFL).  She was quite intelligent (and conservative), and had a pretty good grasp on the game (she and her husband used to attend college games with the same group I did).

But then that was just one.  You obviously know many to be qualified to make such a sweeping statement.

I'm glad you know a smart one.

I'm glad there's at least one.

I still think she made a stupid decision, but, what the hey?  You know her, so you must have all the answers about all this stuff.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I don't mind standing alone here.

If they want to present themselves as nothing more than a package of meat, they are free to do so.

I happen to believe that every woman is worth more than being ogled at.

But again, I know I stand alone here on this subject and will be ridiculed for my stance, and I don't mind that one bit.

This is, after all, a forum where ideas are to be discussed, and I just happen to have an idea that isn't popular with the fellas.

No biggie.
If you haven't noticed, there are people who make entire careers over something called "merchandising". You don't go looking for a high-end spouse among the low end, or hope you'll be discovered in a grocery store checkout. These ladies are just shopping in a different market. Few will last ten years at what they are doing, and more rarely twenty, so either they are doing something they enjoy, for whatever reason, or they are just 'merchandising', looking for a guy who is successful. Put the 'product' on display, end cap, midway, or by the register, and more people will be likely to buy.
If women didn't want to maximize their potential when shopping for a mate, there would be no make up market, no fashion, and everyone would be left to their own devices in sackcloth. These ladies are just doing what all ladies, from childhood onward, do. They're just doing it in a big way.

As I said, YMMV.

I can't fault that, to each their own. Your objection amuses me, though.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

What's the difference between selling one's good fortune of genetic good looks or brain power? Good looks takes work to maintain. Brain power takes work to maintain. The really lucking ones have both. The really unlucky ones have neither.

I can't fault those who take advantage of what was given to them through genetics and then capitalized on through hard work.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I'm glad you know a smart one.

I'm glad there's at least one.

I still think she made a stupid decision, but, what the hey?  You know her, so you must have all the answers about all this stuff.

I'm not the one who judged a group of people I know nothing about.

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

I seriously doubt they are there for a long term career, but rather to gain exposure (if you will pardon the term) to people who are well heeled and successful, for the same purpose and reason as those who were students in college who were there to seek their "Mrs. Degree".

The assumption that because they are attractive, athletic, and pursuing a short term career as a high profile cheerleader means they are stupid reeks of the sort of prejudice that those who have looks and athletic ability of any sort are precluded from having a brain as well.

While that may often be the case, I think you paint with too broad a brush.  Or haven't you heard the expressions "Not just another pretty face!" or "All this and looks, too!" ?

There's also the aspect of accomplishment, to take something you do that you have to work at, even if many think it's silly, and make it to the elite level.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Frank Cannon

Some women are smart, but certainly not the ones who aspire to be "professional" cheerleaders.

They're practically the only people in a football stadium who haven't got a clue about what's going on in the game.

I'm all for letting them "choose" to be what they are, but what they are is stupid.

(I don't even think most of them get paid well.  There was a book that came out about the Buffalo Bill's cheerleaders and they got treated like less than dirt).

Thank God the easy listening mini van set is here to tell us how the world works. I've always said that traveling between church, the grocery store, the podiatrist and home is all the outlook you need to make broad sweeping statements on topics. Anything more is overkill.

Offline goatprairie

Women are dangerous. They have that certain something which we all want. But don't let them fool you. Women are smart, and they know exactly what they are doing.
"They have that certain something which we all want."

I know exactly what you mean. My wife has the keys to the basement, and she only lets me upstairs once a day. I wish I could figure out how to get those keys away from her.
Oh, you didn't mean something else, did you?

Offline musiclady

Green eye jealousy is my take.

@RoosGirl

Just had to come back to address this dimwitted insult once again, @mirraflake , lest you think yourself clever....

I have been in a loving, passionate marriage to a man who adores me and thinks I'm gorgeous for 42 years.

Why in heaven's name would I be jealous of a silicone implanted female because she has slobbering men ogling over her?

That would be really stupid................... and I'm not.

Seeya!  :seeya:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

I'm not the one who judged a group of people I know nothing about.

You're right.  I should have acknowledged that there might be some intelligent cheerleaders.

There might be.

Offline RoosGirl

Just had to come back to address this dimwitted insult once again, @mirraflake , lest you think yourself clever....

I have been in a loving, passionate marriage to a man who adores me and thinks I'm gorgeous for 42 years.

Why in heaven's name would I be jealous of a silicone implanted female because she has slobbering men ogling over her?

oh FFS

Offline RoosGirl

Thank God the easy listening mini van set is here to tell us how the world works. I've always said that traveling between church, the grocery store, the podiatrist and home is all the outlook you need to make broad sweeping statements on topics. Anything more is overkill.

I hate going to the grocery store.  Just sayin...

Offline musiclady

If you haven't noticed, there are people who make entire careers over something called "merchandising". You don't go looking for a high-end spouse among the low end, or hope you'll be discovered in a grocery store checkout. These ladies are just shopping in a different market. Few will last ten years at what they are doing, and more rarely twenty, so either they are doing something they enjoy, for whatever reason, or they are just 'merchandising', looking for a guy who is successful. Put the 'product' on display, end cap, midway, or by the register, and more people will be likely to buy.
If women didn't want to maximize their potential when shopping for a mate, there would be no make up market, no fashion, and everyone would be left to their own devices in sackcloth. These ladies are just doing what all ladies, from childhood onward, do. They're just doing it in a big way.

As I said, YMMV.

I can't fault that, to each their own. Your objection amuses me, though.

I totally agree that they have the right to sell themselves to drooling men if they so wish.

But I disagree that every woman has done the same thing to a lesser degree.  Even if the majority have, there are plenty of women out there who have prayerfully and carefully waited for the man God chose for them, or even stayed single to serve Him.

I understand why some men think that all women are for sale as merchandise and are only looking for a man, but it's just not factually accurate.

I shall, however, cease and desist, because I recognize that introducing spiritual and moral things on a thread about cheerleaders is a dangerous thing to do on this forum.  happy77

You are, as ever, a gentleman, Joe who can discuss differences with respect.  :beer:

Offline Frank Cannon

You're right.  I should have acknowledged that there might be some intelligent cheerleaders.

There might be.

Amazing the insights on life someone gets from leafing through a 7 month old Red Book waiting for a prescription to be filled at CVS.

Offline musiclady

oh FFS

The cogent and thoughtful response I would expect from you on a thread like this.  :tongue2:

The boy said I was jealous of bimbos.  I'm just explaining why it's a dopey insult and I'm not.

It is, and I ain't.

Bye, girl!

Offline RoosGirl

Amazing the insights on life someone gets from leafing through a 7 month old Red Book waiting for a prescription to be filled at CVS.

I found a great recipe in one of those that uses strawberry jelly, instead of grape, for Swedish meatballs.

Offline Smokin Joe

I'm truly happy for you. I guess that even seems stranger to me that you would objecct to these ladies seeking the same thing, using whatever God given gifts they have. Now, maybe some of those ladies are 'augmented',  but I'd bet there are those who are not.
The image up thread is on par with completely natural development in a number of women I have known, and pales in the former presence of one young lady who had reduction surgery, so the assumption that all they have is the result of surgical intervention speaks volumes. 

As for the slobbering types, I seriously doubt they get a second look.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Frank Cannon

I found a great recipe in one of those that uses strawberry jelly, instead of grape, for Swedish meatballs.

At least you didn't read the Scottish printing that said to use peanut butter on your balls instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

At least you didn't read the Scottish printing that said to use peanut butter on your balls instead.
I wonder if that fool used creamy or chunky? :silly:

C S Lewis

Offline RoosGirl

Scottish meatballs will be the Swedish meatballs of the 2010's.

Offline Frank Cannon

Scottish meatballs will be the Swedish meatballs of the 2010's.

No way. Too chewy for the aging population of the country.

Offline mirraflake

There might be.

The cheerleaders from my  HS 38+ years ago were all National Honor Society and all went on to college. 

Do you even know the strict and grueling regiment  HS cheerleaders today need to do to be accepted? Most are either gymnastics or dance students or both from age 5  and  have trained thousands of hours.  Most are at the top of the class academically.

@musiclady

Offline mirraflake

Amazing HS cheerling routine performed by "Bimbos"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXF5_vNUWE

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Jealous much, Hannah?

The last I looked, every woman in cheerleading is doing it voluntarily.  Hannah Thomas-Peter (hyphen, it figures), who purportedly stands up for "women's rights," would deny women the opportunity to leverage their good health and looks into a livelihood.

@massadvj

I have seen photos of her,and she is pretty damn attractive herself.

I  can only guess she was too uncoordinated to ever make the cheerleader squad.  Or too unpopular with the other girls.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Some women are smart, but certainly not the ones who aspire to be "professional" cheerleaders.

They're practically the only people in a football stadium who haven't got a clue about what's going on in the game.

I'm all for letting them "choose" to be what they are, but what they are is stupid.

(I don't even think most of them get paid well.  There was a book that came out about the Buffalo Bill's cheerleaders and they got treated like less than dirt).

@musiclady

Uhhhhh,do you SERIOUSLY think they are there for their paychecks,or because they are sports fans?

They are there FOR THE EXPOSURE,hoping it leads to acting and modeling jobs. Or in some cases,wealthy husbands.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
There's also the aspect of accomplishment, to take something you do that you have to work at, even if many think it's silly, and make it to the elite level.

@InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Exactly. There are a LOT of very attractive women that try out for these few positions that are turned down because they aren't coordinated enough,can't learn the routines,or are just too bitchy for anyone to put up with.

Just because these women look amazing,it doesn't mean they didn't have to work hard to get hired.