Author Topic: Exclusive: Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship  (Read 6480 times)

Offline aligncare

Re: Exclusive: Trump To Terminate Birthright Citizenship
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2018, 01:43:02 pm »
Golly and here I thought this was good news.

The good news will come when Donald Trump retrieves his magic wand from the vault in the basement of Trump Tower, that helped him build his financial empire.

Then you’ll really see some good news!

wink777

Offline skeeter

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2018, 01:46:11 pm »
Only if you don't think it through.

I see. Much better the wait for congress.

I'm sure they'd get around to it eventually.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2018, 01:47:39 pm »
If he can pull this off (as a permanent fix) , this wil be his greatest and most long lasting achievement.  As taxpayers we should revolt on having to subisidize anchor babies.

Thank you Mr. President.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 01:48:14 pm »
"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Can he do that without first changing the 14th amendment?
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 01:49:38 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,329728.msg1778911.html#msg1778911

CAN “BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP” BE ABOLISHED BY ANY BRANCH OF GOVERNMENT?

The Post & Email by Mario Apuzzo 8/27/2018

https://www.thepostemail.com/2018/08/27/the-post-email-interviews-atty-mario-apuzzo-on-the-14th-amendment-part-1/

To begin the interview, we asked Apuzzo whether or not modern-day Americans are misinterpreting the meaning of the clause “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” found in the first sentence of the 14th Amendment.  “Does it all hinge on that?” we asked.

“It’s a complex issue,” was Apuzzo’s initial response.  “Trying to understand the meaning of those words is very, very involved.  There really is no ‘right’ answer, because it all depends on context.  You can make those words mean anything you want. If you study the debates on the 14th Amendment, which are in the Congressional Globe, you’ll see how the senators don’t agree with each other as to what it means.  Then, they talk about ‘in the sense of that particular constitution, this is what it means.’

He continued:

For example, if you look at Wong Kim Ark, the court said, “It means ‘subject to the laws.'”  But then if you read the debates, it says that anybody is subject to the laws, even Indians.  The debate there was American Indians and whether or not they should be excluded.  Senator Doolittle put forward an amendment to the amendment saying that you have to put the language in there, ‘excluding Indians not taxed.’  The other senator, Sen. Howard, who had put forward that particular citizenship clause, was joined by others, one of whom was Sen. Trumbull, and they all said, “Oh, no, we don’t need that language.  It’s clearly understood.”  Well, it’s clearly not understood.

So they went on and on, and Trumbull said that it means ‘subject to the complete jurisdiction.’  It still doesn’t really tell you what it means.  Then there’s further discussion that in this sense of the Constitution, the Indians are not subject to the jurisdiction.  So the whole thing is really up in the air; it is what you want to make it to be.

When we asked if the discussions and differing viewpoints of today are little different from the debates of 1868, Apuzzo responded:

What drives the whole thing is policy, and what drives policy? politics.  And what drives politics?  You can get into all kinds of things driving politics:  economics, power; you want to share things with others or you don’t want to share it with others; so the whole thing comes down to politics.

I suspect there was a lot more going on in Congress than what is in the records.  If you look at the Civil Rights Act of 1866, it says ‘not subject to any foreign power,’ and it also says, ‘excluding Indians not taxed.’  Later on they say that the Indians are ‘subject to a foreign power,’ so why did they have to add ‘excluding Indians not taxed’?  So clearly, when they said, ‘not subject to any foreign power,’ they meant somebody else other than the Indians.  They’re not telling us that, but I think there’s a clue in the debates that they really were targeting Chinese in California.

More in link above.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2018, 02:04:33 pm »
I see. Much better the wait for congress.

I'm sure they'd get around to it eventually.

That's not the point.  Not one of us here thinks that the Congress will actually "get around to it" without strong leadership, but they are the ones who have the Constitutional authority to change it, not the President.

All that this will do, even if he carries it, is be a temporary fix until the next President comes along.

This does not solve the problem one whit, so if you want to be happy even though the problem remains, more power to you.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2018, 02:09:42 pm »
That's not the point.  Not one of us here thinks that the Congress will actually "get around to it" without strong leadership, but they are the ones who have the Constitutional authority to change it, not the President.

All that this will do, even if he carries it, is be a temporary fix until the next President comes along.

This does not solve the problem one whit, so if you want to be happy even though the problem remains, more power to you.

I am aware of all that, and still I'll be happy because after decades its SOMETHING. It beats kvetching, at least.

At worse this will be challenged in court. If appealed to the SCOTUS perhaps some permanent good will result.

Offline verga

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2018, 02:14:37 pm »
We can only hope and pray
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2018, 02:17:50 pm »
I am aware of all that, and still I'll be happy because after decades its SOMETHING. It beats kvetching, at least.

At worse this will be challenged in court. If appealed to the SCOTUS perhaps some permanent good will result.

If the SCOTUS knows the law, then they will realize that an EO from Obama, Trump, or anyone else, doesn't override the Constitution.

A temporary feel good fix is not a fix at all, your optimism notwithstanding.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2018, 02:21:24 pm »
If the SCOTUS knows the law, then they will realize that an EO from Obama, Trump, or anyone else, doesn't override the Constitution.

A temporary feel good fix is not a fix at all, your optimism notwithstanding.

SCOTUS interprets the Constitution and the 14th amendment is wide open to interpretation.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »
Golly and here I thought this was good news.

Me too.  But some good points have been given.  I think that birthright is however a misinterpretation of the Constitution.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 02:39:35 pm »
I think that birthright is however a misinterpretation of the Constitution.

You and me both.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 02:40:57 pm »
I think that birthright is however a misinterpretation of the Constitution.

That it may well be.   Ultimately,  it is a question for the SCOTUS.   But will the SCOTUS be in a better position to rule if the abolition of birthright citizenship is coming from an act of Congress, or from an executive order of the President?   

Recall how we all complained about Obama's executive orders, and how we felt he had circumvented Congress and its authorities.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline MOD3

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2018, 02:42:03 pm »
Topics merged.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 02:44:44 pm »
More excellent news.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2018, 02:46:37 pm »
Me too.  But some good points have been given.  I think that birthright is however a misinterpretation of the Constitution.

This article also addresses the Constitutionality/Legality of the issue

Trump Plans To End Birthright Citizenship For Children Of Illegal Immigrants: Axios

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

...Legal scholars are divided on the subject.

John Eastman, a constitutional scholar and director of Chapman University's Center for Constitutional Jurisprudence, told "Axios on HBO" that the Constitution has been misapplied over the past 40 or so years. He says the line "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" originally referred to people with full, political allegiance to the U.S. - green card holders and citizens.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 02:47:55 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2018, 02:47:38 pm »
That it may well be.   Ultimately,  it is a question for the SCOTUS.   But will the SCOTUS be in a better position to rule if the abolition of birthright citizenship is coming from an act of Congress, or from an executive order of the President?   

Recall how we all complained about Obama's executive orders, and how we felt he had circumvented Congress and its authorities.   

It’ll probably come down to Roberts again, who massively disappointed with his Obamacare ruling.  This issue has been addressed by SCOTUS under Ark in 1898.  While it’s not unheard of for a ruling on the 14th to be changed (see Plessy and Brown), the Roberts view of stare decisis isn’t encouraging.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2018, 02:48:56 pm »
Trump is starting the process with an EO, it goes to a conservative SC where we have a descent chance of winning. The 14th was meant to give citizenship to former slaves not Chinese tourists.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2018, 02:50:59 pm »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,329728.msg1778911.html#msg1778911

CAN “BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP” BE ABOLISHED BY ANY BRANCH OF GOVERNMENT?

The Post & Email by Mario Apuzzo 8/27/2018

https://www.thepostemail.com/2018/08/27/the-post-email-interviews-atty-mario-apuzzo-on-the-14th-amendment-part-1/

To begin the interview, we asked Apuzzo whether or not modern-day Americans are misinterpreting the meaning of the clause “subject to the jurisdiction thereof” found in the first sentence of the 14th Amendment.  “Does it all hinge on that?” we asked.

“It’s a complex issue,” was Apuzzo’s initial response.  “Trying to understand the meaning of those words is very, very involved.  There really is no ‘right’ answer, because it all depends on context.  You can make those words mean anything you want. If you study the debates on the 14th Amendment, which are in the Congressional Globe, you’ll see how the senators don’t agree with each other as to what it means.  Then, they talk about ‘in the sense of that particular constitution, this is what it means.’

He continued:

For example, if you look at Wong Kim Ark, the court said, “It means ‘subject to the laws.'”  But then if you read the debates, it says that anybody is subject to the laws, even Indians.  The debate there was American Indians and whether or not they should be excluded.  Senator Doolittle put forward an amendment to the amendment saying that you have to put the language in there, ‘excluding Indians not taxed.’  The other senator, Sen. Howard, who had put forward that particular citizenship clause, was joined by others, one of whom was Sen. Trumbull, and they all said, “Oh, no, we don’t need that language.  It’s clearly understood.”  Well, it’s clearly not understood.

So they went on and on, and Trumbull said that it means ‘subject to the complete jurisdiction.’  It still doesn’t really tell you what it means.  Then there’s further discussion that in this sense of the Constitution, the Indians are not subject to the jurisdiction.  So the whole thing is really up in the air; it is what you want to make it to be.

When we asked if the discussions and differing viewpoints of today are little different from the debates of 1868, Apuzzo responded:

What drives the whole thing is policy, and what drives policy? politics.  And what drives politics?  You can get into all kinds of things driving politics:  economics, power; you want to share things with others or you don’t want to share it with others; so the whole thing comes down to politics.

I suspect there was a lot more going on in Congress than what is in the records.  If you look at the Civil Rights Act of 1866, it says ‘not subject to any foreign power,’ and it also says, ‘excluding Indians not taxed.’  Later on they say that the Indians are ‘subject to a foreign power,’ so why did they have to add ‘excluding Indians not taxed’?  So clearly, when they said, ‘not subject to any foreign power,’ they meant somebody else other than the Indians.  They’re not telling us that, but I think there’s a clue in the debates that they really were targeting Chinese in California.

More in link above.

Here is a link to the complete Congressional debates about the 14th amendment and it is CRYSTAL clear what they meant by the words "and subject to the jurisdiction there of"!

https://www.scribd.com/document/36527058/Congressional-Debates-of-the-14th-Amendment?fbclid=IwAR3kgFlx4orXlVd_KF-Ffssl3oPgISnq9KYUjRGKdOS3Q9v80DjqdGrib2E

https://www.14thamendment.us/articles/anchor_babies_unconstitutionality.html?fbclid=IwAR2_gwOQs3lwdV6mYannkBqrnuMuog8T20ltWb-049W_2GHiGee8tZzMeSA

"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jpsb

« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2018, 02:52:15 pm »

Trump does exactly what the NeverTrumper want done and still they bitch.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2018, 03:05:08 pm »
So Trump signs an EO, shows he’s serious, keeps his promises on fixing immigration. Then as a result we see an increase in republican numbers in congress next week.

There’s nothing to stop Congress from passing permanent legislation after that, if that really is what the republicans want, right?

It might force Congress to act.  As they should have years ago.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2018, 03:06:34 pm »
Trump does exactly what the NeverTrumper want done and still they bitch.

You didn't hear me complain, not that I think it is anything more than just bluster from Trump, but at least he has mentioned it. That more than a lot of previous presidents have done. Any fool knows that the amendment was meant so blacks back around the civil war would be American, it wasn't meant to be abused as it has been.

I haven't read all the thread, so someone more knowledgeable might have already mentioned this, but at one time there was a SCOTUS decision that didn't interpret this amendment to mean all people that just cross the border automatically get citizenship when giving birth.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:10:29 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2018, 03:14:46 pm »
This should be interesting. Trump never fails in that department.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2018, 03:20:51 pm »
"and subject to its jurisdiction"

That's the loophole here.

Yep.
The Republic is lost.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
It was a bad and in fact, nonsensical decision by the SCOTUS years ago, it's been on the agenda for a long time as well. I didn't know it could be addressed by EO.