Author Topic: Hill Cumorah Pageant: Long-running Mormon production to end after 2020 event  (Read 344 times)

Offline Suppressed

Hill Cumorah Pageant: Long-running Mormon production to end after 2020 event
Updated Oct 28, 5:44 PM; Posted Oct 28, 5:28 PM

A ship is built by the Prophet Lehi's son, Nephi, and the family sets sail for the promised land
during a scene of the 2008 Hill Cumorah Pageant in Palmyra. (Lauren Long | llong@syracuse.com)

MANCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) -- An annual Mormon pageant that drew thousands of visitors to upstate New York will be staged for the last time in 2020 as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints moves away from large-scale productions.

The Salt Lake City-based church released a statement Saturday saying its local leaders and members are being encouraged to focus on gospel learnings in their homes and participate in Sabbath worship and church programs.

[...]

Last summer's 81st pageant, held on a large outdoor stage in the town of Manchester, drew 25,000 attendees.

[...]

https://www.syracuse.com/state/index.ssf/2018/10/hill_cumorah_pageant_long-running_mormon_production_to_end_after_2020_event.html
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline verga

I am sad to read this. While I am not a Mormon, I did attend on several occasions. It was a spectacular show.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline mountaineer

My first thought was that this is a cost-saving measure, but the LDS trying to get away from the word "Mormon" also may come into the decision. A poster on an ex-Mormon discussion forum opined, " I think it signals a shift away from the BoM* as doctrine. They’re serious about not treating it as a historical document. I’m amazed to see them making actual progress."

*Book of Mormon
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org