Author Topic: US, Mexico negotiate options for handling migrant caravan  (Read 471 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
US, Mexico negotiate options for handling migrant caravan
« on: October 25, 2018, 01:59:21 am »
KVIA By: CATHERINE E. SHOICHET AND GENEVA SANDS 10/24/2018

As a massive caravan of migrants treks north, US officials have been negotiating with Mexico about how to handle the caravan should it reach the US border.

Officials are weighing the legality of certain steps the Trump administration could take and looking at whether any processes could be changed to speed up the removal of migrants who have no legal basis to remain in the US, according to a senior Department of Homeland Security official.

The official says the administration hasn't made any "firm decisions" about how to respond if the caravan reaches the border.

Among the topics being discussed with Mexico is whether migrants from the caravan could be held there before entering an official port of entry, the DHS official said. The official said this is already being done to some extent, and described this as a more official process of what is known as "metering," when Customs and Border Protection officers keep immigrants in Mexico to limit the flow into the US. This process has been sharply criticized by advocates, who accuse officials of illegally trying to block immigrants from claiming asylum.

More: https://www.kvia.com/news/politics/us-mexico-negotiate-options-for-handling-migrant-caravan/823075864

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Re: US, Mexico negotiate options for handling migrant caravan
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 02:06:08 am »
Here is how I think the 'negotiations' should go:

Dear Mexico - you were stupid enough to let that invasion army in - so they are all yours to deal with.  Our border is closed we are not accepting any more immigrants or refugees at this time and not a single one of them are getting in here for any reason whatsoever - we are all full up right now.

If they rush the border - we will push them back into yours in very unpleasant manner and you will have to deal with a whole lot of wet, stinking, hurting folks whom you let into your country so they can invade ours.

So - they are all yours - and will remain yours now, and in the foreseeable future.

Have fun and we will pray for you. Good luck.

End of 'negotiation'.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 02:09:38 am »
Here is how I think the 'negotiations' should go:

Dear Mexico - you were stupid enough to let that invasion army in - so they are all yours to deal with.  Our border is closed we are not accepting any more immigrants or refugees at this time and not a single one of them are getting in here for any reason whatsoever - we are all full up right now.

If they rush the border - we will push them back into yours in very unpleasant manner and you will have to deal with a whole lot of wet, stinking, hurting folks whom you let into your country so they can invade ours.

So - they are all yours - and will remain yours now, and in the foreseeable future.

Have fun and we will pray for you. Good luck.

End of 'negotiation'.

I like it!    :beer:

PS:  I'll give you a million $ too!    :cool:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 02:44:21 am »
Among the topics being discussed with Mexico is whether migrants from the caravan could be held there before entering an official port of entry, the DHS official said. The official said this is already being done to some extent, and described this as a more official process of what is known as "metering," when Customs and Border Protection officers keep immigrants in Mexico to limit the flow into the US.

Here's where I see a potential for the US Military (in addition to Customs and Border Protection officers) to assist the Mexican government in keeping the caravan in Mexico.  The military can be the ring around the caravan. We can't let 'em in or they'll be roaming free within hours.

We can also provide the helicopters, skunk water and sonic music to keep them in a nice little circle until we can load them on military aircraft and fly them home.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 02:51:06 am »
???? Illegally blocking asylum??  What?  How about they are invading this country and the President has the right to protect it and does not have to accept any refugees into this country.

Why is he legally bound to allow them to seek asylum?
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 02:56:00 am »
Ok ... we've gone from Trump/Pompeo agreeing to allow them to apply for asylum and UN placement, to vowing to send as many troops necessary, to sending 1,200 unarmed troops to now negotiating options  on how to handle them.

In other words ... how far does Trump and the US have to bend over?   9999hair out0000
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline bilo

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 03:03:21 am »
The Rats and media are hoping for a physical confrontation where our military forces these "poor, helpless, victims" to turn back. They can then show pictures of the water hoses spraying civil rights protestors in the 1960's.

I think Trump had the right idea the first time, close the borders. No one enters the country, then after a week or two maybe Congress can get on board with real reform.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 03:12:19 am »
The Rats and media are hoping for a physical confrontation where our military forces these "poor, helpless, victims" to turn back. They can then show pictures of the water hoses spraying civil rights protestors in the 1960's.

I think Trump had the right idea the first time, close the borders. No one enters the country, then after a week or two maybe Congress can get on board with real reform.

??? I missed it.  When did Trump say he was going to close the borders?  How? No wall?  The only thing that I know of is that he agreed to allow Mexico to take these people to apply for asylum and let the UN place them in host countries.  Supposedly he was sending 1,200 unarmed guards to the border, and now he is negotiating with Mexico. 

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 01:44:36 pm »
??? I missed it.  When did Trump say he was going to close the borders?  How? No wall?  The only thing that I know of is that he agreed to allow Mexico to take these people to apply for asylum and let the UN place them in host countries.  Supposedly he was sending 1,200 unarmed guards to the border, and now he is negotiating with Mexico.

When this group was being formed in Honduras Trump said he would close the borders. He hasn't mentioned this recently. I suspect that the Pub campaign advisers are asking him to "tone it down" because he keeps backtracking.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home