Author Topic: Prosecutor: Border agent tired of rock throwers killed teen  (Read 368 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Prosecutor: Border agent tired of rock throwers killed teen
« on: October 25, 2018, 12:37:16 am »
Greensboro.com By ASTRID GALVAN 10/24/2018

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — A U.S. Border Patrol agent was fed up with cross-border rock throwers when he deliberately shot at a Mexican teenager, a federal prosecutor said Wednesday as the agent's second trial began in the 2012 killing.

Lonnie Swartz was acquitted of murder earlier this year in Arizona and now faces manslaughter and involuntary manslaughter charges in the death of 16-year-old Jose Antonio Elena Rodriguez, who was shot in the back multiple times.

It is rare for a Border Patrol agent to be prosecuted on charges involving use of force. Swartz, who has pleaded not guilty, is being retried after the previous jury deadlocked on a manslaughter verdict.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Wallace Kleindienst said in an opening statement that Swartz shot Elena Rodriguez after the teen and others threw rocks at agents who were chasing two drug smugglers on Oct. 10, 2012.

More: https://www.greensboro.com/ap/us_world/prosecutor-border-agent-tired-of-rock-throwers-killed-teen/article_5e93922c-f7bd-5388-84a1-50352f3ec912.html

Offline goatprairie

Re: Prosecutor: Border agent tired of rock throwers killed teen
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 03:24:47 am »
Rocks can kill. If I throw a rock at a cop in the U.S. i.e. assault him, it's not out of the realm of possibility he might pull his gun out and shoot me.
Moral of story: If you don't want to get shot,  don't throw rocks at people with guns.