Author Topic: Trump administration has not settled on a plan for what to do if caravan arrives at the US border  (Read 5019 times)

Offline jpsb

There are Republicans who also welcome this invasionary force with open arms.  And I'm not sure Trump is not one of them.

You must be talking about that POS George W Bush <spit>

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Ya know, I don't expect much from NTers, but one would think they would be hoping that President Trump would find a way to successfully handle this complicated issue.

Instead, some of them seem to be salivating at the chance to blame Trump for something, even if it harms our country.

Flat out disgusting!

Common sense would tell you that the U.S. cannot send an invading force into Mexico to stop this.  Of course, it's difficult to figure out and there will be opposing forces and arguments.

But how about waiting to see what will be done before taking a victory lap about your assumed Trump failures in this?
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Applewood

Perhaps, but I don't trust Trump on this issue either. 

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer

No, he’s talking about the current duplicitous members of Congress who refused to address the situation, because they are bought and paid for with Koch money.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

Most will pass their initial asylum interview and be released into the U.S. with a monitoring device pending a court date.  Most will never show up in court, and be absorbed into the underground economy and the institutions that enable it.

It seems that the fact Pompeo and Trump have agreed to allow those migrants (being kind here) who make it to Mexico to apply for asylum and then the UN will determine which host country to place them in, including the USA, has been forgotten.

I have not heard that they are given a monitoring device.  Are you sure?   I do know that once they are granted asylum after 12 mos they can apply for residency, be given a social security card and eligible to work. 

My hunch, is that someone is funding these people and have probably told them to wait it out and apply for residency and get their social.  I have little doubt that these people are here so that they will be able to vote in the 2020 election.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

I'm with you.  I'm not 100% certain that he will stand strong on this issue.  IMHO, he's already shown a sign of weakness by placing unarmed guards at the border.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
No.  If Trump and his administration won’t do something to stop this mass invasion, the blame will be put right where it belongs.

This talk of sending the military?  Unfortunately it’s starting to sound like more of the red meat he throws to his fans.

That is exactly what it is, to the point his rabid fans are creating fake news and bogus reports of their wishful thinking for military mobilizations to the Southern border which never happened.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
It seems that the fact Pompeo and Trump have agreed to allow those migrants (being kind here) who make it to Mexico to apply for asylum and then the UN will determine which host country to place them in, including the USA, has been forgotten.

I have not heard that they are given a monitoring device.  Are you sure?   I do know that once they are granted asylum after 12 mos they can apply for residency, be given a social security card and eligible to work. 

My hunch, is that someone is funding these people and have probably told them to wait it out and apply for residency and get their social.  I have little doubt that these people are here so that they will be able to vote in the 2020 election.

Yes, the timing is interesting and it has everything to do with the 2020 election, not with the stupid idea that these illegals can enter and vote, but with the devastating effect it will have if the U.S. (aka Trump) is not able to handle this without some kind of horrible violent scenario.

I have no doubt whatsoever that this is Soros funded.  This evil man has unlimited funds which he is willing to spend on destroying America.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

Yesterday Dana Loesch said the hurricane aftermath won’t be a factor.  She cited Joe Bastardi as her source.

Yes, I saw Think Progress (an extremely leftist site) used Joe Bastardi as a source for that.  Others disagree, and it's hard to know because Mexico is never honest about damage from disasters.  We will just have to wait and see.  It serves the leftist cause to believe there are 14,000,000,000 poor people "marching" on our southern border.  More proof of Trump's Fault ahead of the election.

Don't think I've ever seen the media bias this bad.  They are playing it for all its worth.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes, the timing is interesting and it has everything to do with the 2020 election, not with the stupid idea that these illegals can enter and vote, but with the devastating effect it will have if the U.S. (aka Trump) is not able to handle this without some kind of horrible violent scenario.

I have no doubt whatsoever that this is Soros funded.  This evil man has unlimited funds which he is willing to spend on destroying America.

He doesn't care how many pawns get killed, either.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline aligncare

Based on what evidence do you doubt his commitment to protect Americans.

I’ve seen no evidence to date to support your skepticism.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I have little doubt that these people are here so that they will be able to vote in the 2020 election.

What the migrants themselves say is that they want to work.    Conditions in places like Honduras are intolerable because of drug gang violence.   These folks must be vetted carefully because once a gangster, always a gangster.  But for those who are genuinely fleeing gang violence,  I have sympathy for their courage and fortitude.  I assume most are Christians.   The alternative is paying smugglers - they travel in these caravans because there is, apparently, safety in numbers.   

I'd be curious to know if there is an effective way to vet asylum seekers with government authorities in Honduras and El Salvador,  to check whether they have been arrested for violent crimes.    Those who arrive will be able to get an initial asylum interview,  and there ought to be better ways to both cross-check their claims of persecution and their own personal honesty.    Then, when they are released into the U.S. pending the formal asylum hearing,  I'd think they ought to be treated like folks on parole,  obliged to check in with government officials on a weekly or monthly basis,  so their locations and activities can be monitored.   Violation of such requirements should be, without more, grounds for deportation and rejection of their asylum bid.   Asylum seekers should be required to be fingerprinted and to sign agreements so as to allow expedited deportations in the event of violation of the "parole" requirement.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Jazzhead

They say they want work, and I have no reason to doubt them, but they will cheerfully accept the welfare California offers them. That's why they always go there and not AZ or TX.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Yes, I saw Think Progress (an extremely leftist site) used Joe Bastardi as a source for that.  Others disagree, and it's hard to know because Mexico is never honest about damage from disasters.  We will just have to wait and see.  It serves the leftist cause to believe there are 14,000,000,000 poor people "marching" on our southern border.  More proof of Trump's Fault ahead of the election.

Don't think I've ever seen the media bias this bad.  They are playing it for all its worth.

Right now, the media is obsessed with the bomb attempts on Obama, Hillary and Soros.

Offline jpsb

What the migrants themselves say is that they want to work.    Conditions in places like Honduras are intolerable because of drug gang violence.   These folks must be vetted carefully because once a gangster, always a gangster.  But for those who are genuinely fleeing gang violence,  I have sympathy for their courage and fortitude. 

Where is your compassion for the poor Americans who will lose their jobs to these illegal workers?
Where is your compassion for the American tax payers that will have to fund their health care,
education, housing, clothing and food. How many are you going to take into your home and
support with YOUR money. As always liberals are very compassionate as long as someone else is
picking up the tab. There are billions of poor on Earth are we suppose to take them all in?

And what happened to respect for our laws?

How are you going to vet thousand of people that came from only G*d knows where that have no documentation?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:42:42 pm by jpsb »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Where is your compassion for the poor Americans who will lose their jobs to these illegal workers?
Where is your compassion for the American tax payers that will have to fund their health care,
education, housing, clothing and food. How many are you going to take into your home and
support with YOUR money. As always liberals are very compassionate as long as someone else is
picking up the tab. There are billions of poor on Earth are we suppose to take them all in?

And what happened to respect for our laws?

How are you going to vet thousand of people that came from only G*d knows where that have no documentation?

My assumption is that these are asylum seekers, not "illegals".   They are escaping intolerable drug gang violence in their home countries.   And while they may be disrespecting the laws of Mexico in passing through Mexican territory,  they have not disrespected our laws so long as, once they arrive, they follow the procedures for asylum seekers.   

If they pass the initial asylum interview, they are allowed to legally remain in the U.S. pending the formal asylum hearing.  What we need to do better is track these folks better so they show up for the hearing, and don't just disappear into the underground economy.   I made a few suggestions for possible changes in my post above. 

How many should we help?  As many as we can,  consistent with the basic bargain that if they are here, they abide by our rules and our laws.       
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 05:00:58 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline edpc

Based on what evidence do you doubt his commitment to protect Americans.

I’ve seen no evidence to date to support your skepticism.

Then, you haven’t been paying attention.

“I am very much reliant on the people in this room,” Trump said during a DACA meeting with pro-amnesty senators, including Senators Dick Durbin, Dianne Feinstein, Jeff Flake, Lindsey Graham, and Bob Menendez. Several Republican Senators were present for the discussion, including Immigration hawk Tom Cotton and Sen. Chuck Grassley.

The president said he would sign a DACA amnesty deal, even if it included aspects of which he didn’t approve.

“I have great confidence … if they come to me with things I’m not in love with, I’m going to do it because I respect them,” he said.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/01/09/donald-trump-promises-to-sign-daca-amnesty-bill-even-if-it-has-things-he-doesnt-like/

Trump: Immigration solution should be a 'bill of love'

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/368107-trump-daca-solution-should-be-a-bill-of-love

Offline skeeter

My assumption is that these are asylum seekers, not "illegals".   They are escaping intolerable drug gang violence in their home countries.   And while they may be disrespecting the laws of Mexico in passing through Mexican territory,  they have not disrespected our laws so long as, once they arrive, follow the procedures for asylum seekers.   

If they pass the initial asylum interview, they are allowed to legally remain in the U.S. pending the formal asylum hearing.  What we need to do better is track these folks better so they show up for the hearing, and don't just disappear into the underground economy.   I made a few suggestions for possible changes in my post above.   

Under the internationally recognized procedure for processing asylum seekers the US has no obligation to accept applications for asylum from Central Americans. Mexico does.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Under the internationally recognized procedure for processing asylum seekers the US has no obligation to accept applications for asylum from Central Americans. Mexico does.

A link for that statement would be appreciated.   If they arrive at our border, they would appear to be subject to our rules.   

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What we need to do better is track these folks better so they show up for the hearing, and don't just disappear into the underground economy.   

How about YOU pay for that?  YOU hire the army of staff and agents and police necessary to undergo such a task for 15-20,000 people in multiple waves?

Close the damn border.  No one else in.  Seal it.  Militarize it.

No one gets into the country without a Visa.  Period.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline aligncare

Then, you haven’t been paying attention.

“I am very much reliant on the people in this room,” Trump said during a DACA meeting with pro-amnesty senators, including Senators Dick Durbin, Dianne Feinstein, Jeff Flake, Lindsey Graham, and Bob Menendez. Several Republican Senators were present for the discussion, including Immigration hawk Tom Cotton and Sen. Chuck Grassley.

The president said he would sign a DACA amnesty deal, even if it included aspects of which he didn’t approve.

“I have great confidence … if they come to me with things I’m not in love with, I’m going to do it because I respect them,” he said.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2018/01/09/donald-trump-promises-to-sign-daca-amnesty-bill-even-if-it-has-things-he-doesnt-like/

Trump: Immigration solution should be a 'bill of love'

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/368107-trump-daca-solution-should-be-a-bill-of-love

Okay. So how does a DACA fix threaten Americans? Polls show the public has sympathy for the children brought here illegally. They want a reasonable solution that does not punish them, and so do I.

So my point stands. I’ve seen no evidence to contradict Trump’s commitment to Americans first.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
How about YOU pay for that?  YOU hire the army of staff and agents and police necessary to undergo such a task for 15-20,000 people in multiple waves?

Close the damn border.  No one else in.  Seal it.  Militarize it.

No one gets into the country without a Visa.  Period.

Don't be an idiot.  It is far more expensive to militarily "seal" a 2,000-mile long border than to hire additional folks to vet asylum seekers and monitor the locations and activities so they show up for their hearings.   Trump wants $25 billion for his wall.  How about YOU pay for it?   *****rollingeyes*****

Offline skeeter

A link for that statement would be appreciated.   If they arrive at our border, they would appear to be subject to our rules.
This’ll have to do until I can do some more looking.

https://cis.org/Cadman/Why-Shouldnt-Central-Americans-Have-Apply-Asylum-Mexico

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
My assumption is that these are asylum seekers, not "illegals".   They are escaping intolerable drug gang violence in their home countries.   And while they may be disrespecting the laws of Mexico in passing through Mexican territory,  they have not disrespected our laws so long as, once they arrive, they follow the procedures for asylum seekers.   

I think that assumption is almost certainly wrong.  Media reports -- even stuff like NPR -- is openly acknowledging that the people coming her are overwhelmingly coming just for jobs -- a better economic life.  Not for asylum.  They admit it when asked. 

What the migrants themselves say is that they want to work.    Conditions in places like Honduras are intolerable because of drug gang violence.   
"Fleeing drug violence" is not a valid reason to be granted asylum under U.S. law anyway.  So even if you are right about why they are coming here, that doesn't qualify them for asylum.  Asylum grants must be based on persecution based on race, ethnic group, religion, political opinion, or particular social group.  "My country is overrun with drug cartels and there are no jobs" does not qualify one for asylum under U.S. law.  That's the entire point.  And that's why despite the very high degree of drug violence in Mexico, less than 3% of asylum petitions from Mexico are approved.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/can-i-apply-asylum-from-mexico.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 05:40:36 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline edpc

Okay. So how does a DACA fix threaten Americans? Polls show the public has sympathy for the children brought here illegally. They want a reasonable solution that does not punish them, and so do I.

So my point stands. I’ve seen no evidence to contradict Trump’s commitment to Americans first.

He said he would sign something, even if it had things he did not love in it.  If he doesn’t love it, you’re not going to, either.  You’re going to tell me that’s good for the country?  We’re heading to Reagan amnesty, redux, whether you see it, or not.