Author Topic: Trump says each Cabinet secretary should slash 5% of their budgets after he pledges to cut spending  (Read 575 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: CNBC

URL: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/17/trump-pledges-to-cut-spending-as-deficits-rise-theres-a-lot-of-fat-in-there.html

"We're going to be asking for a 5 percent cut from every secretary today," Trump told reporters at the White House in advance of a meeting with those secretaries.

The proposal comes days after the Trump administration announced a $779 billion budget deficit for fiscal year 2018 — a six-year high and a 17 percent jump from the prior period.

"He's asking them to cut the fraud, the waste, the abuse," White House senior advisor Kellyanne Conway said on Fox Business News. "Cut the fat, not the essentials." Trump had said in an earlier interview on the network that "We're going to cut spending, absolutely."

"It's not as tough as you think, and frankly there's a lot of fat in there," Trump added, while noting that "we had to get the military done last time." Trump signed a $716 billion defense spending bill into law in August.

The president did not mention any specific area of government spending he planned to examine for cuts. But he also said during the interview that his administration will "continue with the tax cuts, because we have other tax cuts planned."

(Excerpt) Read more at above link ...

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump orders Cabinet to cut agency budgets by 5 percent
by Steven Nelson
 | October 17, 2018 01:49 PM

President Trump on Wednesday asked his Cabinet to find a way to cut their agencies by 5 percent, and signaled he wants a leaner, trimmer government after a two-year spending deal that saw defense and domestic spending rise.

"I'm going to ask everybody to come back with a 5 percent for our next meeting," Trump said in a White House meeting with his Cabinet members. "I think you'll all be able to do it."

Trump's order comes amid growing worry among conservatives about rising federal spending. He said he "made deals with the devil" before signing a $1.3 trillion spending package in March that boosted both domestic and military spending, but said he was now determined to reduce spending.

"I made deals with the devil in order to get that done because we had to improve our military, our military was depleted," he said. "Get rid of the fat, get rid of the waste, and I'm sure you can do it, I'm sure everybody in this table can do it. It will have a huge impact."

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/white-house/trump-orders-cabinet-to-cut-agency-budgets-by-5-percent
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!
It's a start. But also close several unconstitutional agencies. I know there have been studies of how many programs are duplicated by other agencies. Cut them all.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Online Hoodat

September would have been the month to do that since every department was scrambling to spend every dollar it had before the new fiscal year started.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

Great stuff!
Man, I hope this come to fruition.
I've been hoping for something like this since I started voting, 1980.

Offline Frank Cannon

Trump orders Cabinet....

If he went to Ikea he wouldn't need to order one. He could just pick it up that day. The FABRIKÖR looks nice...

Offline GrouchoTex

Trump orders Cabinet....

If he went to Ikea he wouldn't need to order one. He could just pick it up that day. The FABRIKÖR looks nice...

But did he save 5%?

Offline Frank Cannon

But did he save 5%?

5% is chump change. He could be saving 25%!!!!

Offline roamer_1

WHAT BUDGET?   :silly: :silly: :silly:

OOOOOooooh. Five WHOLE percent... That is likely within the margin of error of this imaginary budget.

*****rollingeyes*****

Offline Absalom

Ordered. ORDERED???
On tee-vee it sure sounded like pretty pleeeze!!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:00:21 am by Absalom »

Offline Night Hides Not

Pablum for the unwashed masses. It’s like McConnell saying they’ll try again on ACA, IF they keep their majorities in the House and Senate.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline verga

Get rid of the Department of Education and Cut the EPA's  and Department of Energy's budget in half.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Mod2

Threads merged