Author Topic: Purple Heart awarded posthumously to World War I soldier at Fort Jackson  (Read 458 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Purple Heart awarded posthumously to World War I soldier at Fort Jackson
By Robert Gearty | Fox News

A Purple Heart has been awarded posthumously to a World War I hero wounded on a battlefield in France 100 years ago.

Sgt. Perry Loyd, a member of the Army’s all-black 371st Infantry Regiment, was honored at an emotional ceremony Saturday at the U.S. Army’s Fort Jackson in South Carolina.

AMERICA'S DEADLIEST BATTLE: WORLD WAR I'S MEUSE-ARGONNE OFFENSIVE 100 YEARS LATER

Perry James accepted the Purple Heart on behalf of his grandfather who returned to his life as a sharecropper in South Carolina’s Sumter County after he was wounded. Loyd died in 1946 at age 61, according to reports.

Read more at: https://www.foxnews.com/us/purple-heart-awarded-posthumously-to-world-war-i-soldier-at-fort-jackson

Per hyperlink in the story above, Meuse-Argonne where Sgt. Perry Loyd fought:

World War I's Meuse-Argonne Offensive, which involved more than a million American soldiers and claimed the lives of 26,277, was launched in northern France on Sept. 26, 1918 to push the German army out of the country and reclaim a rail network vital to supplying enemy troops. The fight lasted a grueling 46 days and generated scores of stories of heroism and sacrifice.

But most notably, it helped bring an end to The Great War.

“In its scale and in the number of American and French troops involved, not only infantry but artillery, tanks, engineers… just the logistics in this, made it the largest operation that the American armed forces had been in to that point,” Doran Cart, a senior curator at the National WWI Museum and Memorial in Kansas City, told Fox News.

Offline mountaineer

Re: Purple Heart awarded posthumously to World War I soldier at Fort Jackson
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 02:55:20 pm »
My grandfather was one of those U.S. soldiers in the Meuse-Argonne. He was gassed on Nov. 10, 1918, and also received a Purple Heart.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 03:18:32 pm »
My grandfather was one of those U.S. soldiers in the Meuse-Argonne. He was gassed on Nov. 10, 1918, and also received a Purple Heart.

1918: One grandfather served in France during WWI, while the other registered for the draft from Sweet Grass County Montana, at age 37.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 04:20:31 pm »
It's good to know not everyone has forgotten WWI. A local public library is holding a 100th anniversary program Nov. 11, which I look forward to attending.   :patriot:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:30:01 pm »
Before anyone gets started on claiming there were no black US combat troops during WW-1,the unit this man was with was attached to the French Army. The French were desperate for replacements for all the French troops that were killed or crippled due to the insanity of trench warfare,and were greateful to have the black Americans,and by all reports treated them well.

That man's family needs to check on why he never received any awards from the French. Chances are he was supposed to,and the paperwork got lost.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!