Author Topic: Second thoughts? Democrats starting to regret burning millions of dollars on just Beto O’Rourke  (Read 935 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Second thoughts? Democrats starting to regret burning millions of dollars on just Beto O’Rourke
Twitchy, Oct 13, 2018

Beto O’Rourke, the Senate candidate so cool that he rode a skateboard on stage at his rally Saturday in Corpus Christi, is looking more and more like John Ossoff 2.0. Hollywood’s favorite Texan is still down by about 9 points against incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz, where he’s been hovering for a while. And now it looks like Democrats are having second thoughts about burning all their campaign money in one place.

[...]

That might as well be the New York Times saying that, but it’s actually a quote from Democrat strategist Matthew Miller:
It’s great that O’Rourke has inspired so many people and raised so much money, and if he can spend it all effectively in Texas, he is well within his rights to do so,” said Matthew Miller, a veteran Democratic strategist and Texas native. “But he could have a huge impact for the party by sharing some of it with the D.S.C.C. so it could be spent in states where candidates just need a little extra to get over the hump.

“It will be bad for everyone, Beto included, if he finishes his race with money in the bank when that money could’ve helped elect Democrats in Missouri, Tennessee or North Dakota,” Mr. Miller added.

The Times reports that O’Rourke has raised $38 million in the last three months alone, which is certainly impressive, but some of that is coming in from grassroots supporters in states that also have competitive races and where the candidates could use some assistance.

More:  https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/10/13/second-thoughts-democrats-starting-to-regret-burning-millions-of-dollars-on-just-beto-orourke/

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
I'm not sure I believe that Beto raised much money for himself and by himself.

I think most of his money came from Soros and the dem establishment that would love to defeat a powerful Republican Senator in a blue state.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline austingirl

• Cruz 2016- a Constitutional Conservative at last!

I think most of his money came from Soros and the dem establishment that would love to defeat a powerful Republican Senator in a blue state.

Most of the money was from out of state. Some of it was from the Communist Party as noted on their website. And the FEC is investigating his illegal foreign donations as well.
Principles matter. Words matter.

Offline dfwgator

Beto knew he wasn't going to win a state-wide election in Texas.  He just wanted to launch himself as a national candidate, and become the darling of the hipster crowd.

Offline kevindavis007

I'm glad the Dems pi**ed away the money in Texas. When Beto loses, I don't see how we can be President.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/ and the Eisenhower Caucus: https://EisenhowerCaucus.org

Ronald Reagan: “Rather than...talking about putting up a fence, why don’t we work out some recognition of our mutual problems and make it possible for them to come here legally with a work permit…earning here they pay taxes here.”

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Beto knew he wasn't going to win a state-wide election in Texas.  He just wanted to launch himself as a national candidate, and become the darling of the hipster crowd.

I'm not sure failing a state wide election launches a national campaign, but Trump got elected so what do I know?

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

$38M in a quarter is unprecedented fundraising for a Senate race. You can't do that with $5 and $10 donations. The timing alone is suspicious with all that money coming in when TV political ad season heats up. That's the biggest tell it's outside money.

Two problems with that much money, one already alluded to, in that it sucks money from more needing candidates to the big white elephant, hurting the down ticket.

The other is that there is only so much TV and radio time that can be bought, while too much print and mailers will cause people's eyes to glaze over, and armies of volunteers beating down doors will eventually tick people off.

I'm wondering if Beto hasn't completely oversaturated his market and driving people the other way.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I'm not sure failing a state wide election launches a national campaign, but Trump got elected so what do I know?

Exactly.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Do you want to talk about candidates or me?

Oh, I'll let you decide.  Go for it.

Oh, I'll let you decide.  Go for it.

I would feel much better for all our sakes if you could focus your attention on the candidates.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
$38M in a quarter is unprecedented fundraising for a Senate race. You can't do that with $5 and $10 donations. The timing alone is suspicious with all that money coming in when TV political ad season heats up. That's the biggest tell it's outside money.

I'm seeing the same thing in AZ.  AFSCME is pouring huge media money into Sinema's campaign.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
So long as they lose.

Burn it all.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

He doesn't have a chance at that ... they already have Spartacus.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
He doesn't have a chance at that ... they already have Spartacus.
They'll always need a VP nominee.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Night Hides Not

I'm glad the Dems pi**ed away the money in Texas. When Beto loses, I don't see how we can be President.

$38 million can buy a lot of t-shirts. I saw dozens of people wearing Beto themed t-shirts at the State Fair yesterday. Nothing says "I'm a dumb ass" like wearing a Beto t-shirt.

IMO, the more people see Beto, the less they like him. The truth has come out about his wealthy family and unsavory connections. Having a land developer as a father in law is not a plus for him. They generally have a bad name in West Texas, due to lax enforcement of regulations.

ETA: I was proud of my 8 YO grandson for not making any derisive comments about the Beto supporters. We're totally a Cruz family. He did strike a blow against militant feminism, when he decisively defeated a girl in a competition at one of the Ford truck displays. He was just too athletic for her in the event.  lolol
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 01:14:14 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
They'll always need a VP nominee.

Hey, got your dream ticket right here:  Spartacus and Beto. 

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Second thoughts? Democrats starting to regret burning millions of dollars on just Beto O’Rourke

No!
Don't stop!
Throw some more money in and keep those flames (and cash) a-burnin' !!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 01:06:04 am by Fishrrman »