Author Topic: Sears Goes Bankrupt, Mired in Debt and Deserted by Shoppers  (Read 8133 times)

debrawiest

Re: Sears Goes Bankrupt, Mired in Debt and Deserted by Shoppers
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 05:04:43 pm »

So... I did what I should've done three years ago - I ponied up the dough and bought a John Deere.   It's like going from a Dodge Gremlin to a Lexus.  This season's mowing has been a joy and the grounds never looked better.

I love my JD mower! It’s my third one. Last year I traded up to the more commercial version with a roll bar and padded seat, necessary because I mow 10+ acres of not-so-nice turf. Does a great job with the grass and anything else I happen to mow over. 😊 I’ll never purchase another one.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 05:13:24 pm »
Everyone bent out of shape that Sears died will be really depressed when Walmart meets the same fate in a couple years. They are all over the place with strategy, opened up too many stores to attempt to boost growth estimates and are run by morons. They are set up for the same failure the way they are going.

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 05:27:26 pm »
I was in Sears yesterday.  Instead of 5 foot walkways  as in the past now they are 10 feet wide and clothes and merchandise racks are spaced further part to make it appear the store is full.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 05:27:37 pm »
What I notice is that many of these retailers are started by people, often with little or no formal education, maybe immigrants who came to the US with little money and couldn't speak English.  But they were smart enough to sell quality products and treat their customers well, and that's how they became successful.  But then the younger, supposedly better educated generation comes along with MBAs from Wharton or wherever, but they cut corners, sell inferior merchandise, hire employees based on skin color or whatever instead of competence, outsource to foreign countries and so on -- all in an effort to make millions and billions.  But then they forget about the customers, the one who keep them in business. 

Sell inferior merchandise, treat your customers poorly and they are going elsewhere.  Contrary to what many anti-capitalists in the media will say -- Amazon and other successful, customer-oriented companies are not the ones to blame for Sears' demise.  Sears is failing because of Sears.

Offline thackney

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 05:30:32 pm »
Everyone bent out of shape that Sears died will be really depressed when Walmart meets the same fate in a couple years. They are all over the place with strategy, opened up too many stores to attempt to boost growth estimates and are run by morons. They are set up for the same failure the way they are going.

How Worried Should Amazon Be by Target and Walmart's Surging Online Growth?
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/amazon-target-walmart-online-sales-14691038
Aug 22, 2018

...Meanwhile, last week, Walmart also beat revenue expectations and reported an increase of 4.5% in same-store sales, an outcome that also soundly beat analyst projections of 2.3%. Moreover, it reported that its U.S. e-commerce sales grew by 41% in the quarter, although it didn't release specific sales figures....

- - - - - - -

Walmart Gets Newfound Love From Wall Street - Here's Why
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/walmart-gets-love-from-wall-street-here-s-why-14738894

...Walmart is expecting a 30% online grocery sales increase in fiscal 2019...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mirraflake

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 05:34:31 pm »
Wow. A Crapsman lawn tractor failing. That's unheard of.  *****rollingeyes*****

I own a office building and apartment complex next to each other and got tired of paying $130  every 5-6 days for someone cut the  grass. I bought a Craftsman tractor  in 2005 and it sits outside all year in the back of the office-rain and snow. I have changed the oil maybe once very 2 years It has 400+ hours on it.
Never a single problem except the  mower deck rusted out which a friend welded up for me.

Last year the trtans finally went out and I bought  a new one.

@Frank Cannon

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2018, 05:40:42 pm »
I own a office building and apartment complex next to each other and got tired of paying $130  every 5-6 days for someone cut the  grass. I bought a Craftsman tractor  in 2005 and it sits outside all year in the back of the office-rain and snow. I have changed the oil maybe once very 2 years It has 400+ hours on it.
Never a single problem except the  mower deck rusted out which a friend welded up for me.

Last year the trtans finally went out and I bought  a new one.

@Frank Cannon

You're one of the few. Maybe you got one when they were putting Kohler motors in them. Mostly they are a throw aways.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2018, 05:42:14 pm »
How Worried Should Amazon Be by Target and Walmart's Surging Online Growth?
https://www.thestreet.com/technology/amazon-target-walmart-online-sales-14691038
Aug 22, 2018

...Meanwhile, last week, Walmart also beat revenue expectations and reported an increase of 4.5% in same-store sales, an outcome that also soundly beat analyst projections of 2.3%. Moreover, it reported that its U.S. e-commerce sales grew by 41% in the quarter, although it didn't release specific sales figures....

- - - - - - -

Walmart Gets Newfound Love From Wall Street - Here's Why
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/walmart-gets-love-from-wall-street-here-s-why-14738894

...Walmart is expecting a 30% online grocery sales increase in fiscal 2019...

Wall Street used to be excited about Sears too not that long ago. They turned a profit in 2010. Doesn't take long for the house of cards to collapse.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2018, 05:53:02 pm »
Sears is an example of a successful 20th centuryfirm in the 21st century.

In my mid-sized town old shopping centers are being replaced by modern housing and/or by modern updated shopping centers.

Old "anchor" stores like Sears, are not in the replacement centers.

There are 3 Home Dept stores within 5 miles but there are also 2 Sears stores that will close.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2018, 06:52:09 pm »
Our Craftsman tractor has held up pretty well and I have no complaints about it, but when it finally goes kaput, we'll likely get a Deere.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2018, 06:58:34 pm »
That's the type of remark my grandson, born in 2001, might say about McDonald's some day.

Baby Boomers and our parents and grandparents grew up with Sears.

Back in my youth... (way back) Sears was synonymous with quality and lasting products.

I know times change, but it is sad.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2018, 07:03:16 pm »
Wall Street used to be excited about Sears too not that long ago. They turned a profit in 2010. Doesn't take long for the house of cards to collapse.

Some of our younger Briefers will even see Amazon go belly up in the next 70 years.   

Business cycle of life.   Inevitable.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2018, 07:21:36 pm »
Our Craftsman tractor has held up pretty well and I have no complaints about it, but when it finally goes kaput, we'll likely get a Deere.

If you are going to do that don't buy the Home Despot scrap. Go to the dealer. There is a huge difference in quality. The head of Deere said his biggest regret was getting into bed with Home Despot and making a tractor to meet their price point. It totally ruined their reputation for quality. You could also get an old 318. Those things are effing tanks and Deere still supports them.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2018, 07:25:06 pm »
Good to know, Frank. Thanks.
BTW, is that also true of Lowe's?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:14:37 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2018, 08:38:47 pm »
If you are going to do that don't buy the Home Despot scrap. Go to the dealer. There is a huge difference in quality. The head of Deere said his biggest regret was getting into bed with Home Despot and making a tractor to meet their price point. It totally ruined their reputation for quality. You could also get an old 318. Those things are effing tanks and Deere still supports them.

All of the manufacturers, previously known for high quality products, did that for Home Depot and Lowes.  Well, maybe not *all*, but as you say Deere and I know that is the case for Kohler and Moen.  I have to believe it's pretty much true across the board.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2018, 09:16:38 pm »
Our local plumber sent us to a wholesale supplier to "the trade," advising we not purchase from Home Depot/Lowes

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2018, 09:40:44 pm »
And McDonalds should die a quick death too. Instead of focusing on their core business which is making delicious burgers and fries in a timely fashion, they want to be something to everyone. That means they ruin their fries because health nuts were angry. It means making shitty salads because Commies were angry. It means making Halal dishes because rag heads are angry. Burger King and Wendy's focused on making the products that made them national with great success.

Sears is the same story. They were a company that sold shit to people until a guy who had no retail experience. Eddie Lampert, took over and turned it into a data mining operation. Ever wonder why you were asked 58 questions to buy gum at Sears or K-Mart? It's because a major part of their income was selling that information instead of selling the shit in their stores. They should have died years ago with that bullshit. I don't particularly pine for American Motors vehicles, I don't particularly pine for Author Treacher's fish sandwiches and I don't particularly pine for a Kenmore trash compactor.
That means they ruin their fries because health nuts were angry

Actually they changed the shortening because they folded like a cheap suit(sorry Trump you got it wrong) when cow worshipers threatened to sue, who gives a damn I men they don't eat beef so what, back then they weren't gonna buy Filets Fries and shakes? Big loss! As far as them screwing up by running away from the core principles that Ray built it upon your absolutely right, I was there for the start of the fall. The way they pre cook and assemble to order has completely ruined the flavor and as far as standards? the very few times I go(with my grandson) I feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone! I would have fired anyone that ran one of my stores the way they are run today, hell, I would have been fired!

As far as your examples of those that stuck to their cores? SoSo, They were right there with the rest of us when the burger wars started with the buck menus and burger a month and specialty meals when the minimum wage started going up and competition went into overdrive.

If you really want an example of a brand that stayed true, I would say that at least for the west coast, that would be In-N-Out. They stuck to their  standards and didn't play menu item of the month, just hamburgers, cheeseburgers, doubles, shakes and sodas.........period! I'm sure there are others but that's the only I know for a fact stayed completely true to their core.

As for Sears, I think they were dead long before Lampert, they stopped carrying what people wanted and kept their prices too high, why buy Craftsman tools when I could buy the same exact tool at Home Depot with the same warranty, the only difference being it said Husky on it? And what has Lampert done but sell off all the brands that were worth any money at Sears. He has run it into the ground, actually into it's grave and now looks to pick up any of the real estate property that has value for a pittance. For myself, I stopped shopping at Sears close to twenty years ago when they started to stock clothes and goods that were of more appeal to those from south of the border.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2018, 10:10:55 pm »
I’ll miss you Sears.

I’ll miss Kenmore.

I miss the Sears catalog
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2018, 10:22:51 pm »
Our local plumber sent us to a wholesale supplier to "the trade," advising we not purchase from Home Depot/Lowes

Yep, because the supplier stuff is much better made and if it does break can be fixed.  The HD/Lowes crap cannot be.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2018, 10:27:56 pm »
I’ll miss you Sears.

I’ll miss Kenmore.

I miss the Sears catalog

I know. It's sad. Had Sears had it's head out of it's butt and been looking ahead, it could have adapted to fill a pretty nice niche, but it decided to do the same-old same-old and waste away.
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2018, 10:28:46 pm »
What was interesting to learn in this ordeal was that Craftsman was simply stamping their name on other name brand products that were cheaper or Chinese junk in the era of Lampert.

Actually an improvement from days past, when they were big enough to bend industry to it's will.
They have always rebranded, that is nothing new. What they used to do was to change the specs of generic parts in order to capture their parts market, to the point that even motor specs were different.

Standard Briggs or Tecumseh on that machine? Not on your life. Everything down to the valve guides and crankshaft bearings were altered, just a little bit, so that standard stock would not fit, and you were enslaved into the Sears parts system, which was a nightmare.

I quite literally would not buy used Craftsman small engine equipment, because their only use was as scrap for other Craftsmans - Recycling the parts otherwise was impossible. And there was no sense in trying to restore old Craftsman machines, as the parts system was so very bad, and incredibly (3x price) expensive.

What little I have had to do with their machinery lately, that is not the case anymore. Their rebranded Husqvarna equipment is the very same as Husqvarna makes for everything. Maybe they just don't have the buying power anymore.

That all said, I have a great respect for Craftsman hand tools and such - my road box is full of them. But I will not buy anything from them more complicated than that, even yet, for fear of that part system entrapment and planned obsolescence.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2018, 10:45:23 pm »
I’ll miss you Sears.

I’ll miss Kenmore.

I miss the Sears catalog

I miss the catalog.  Felt like I would get a hernia just picking it up.  But I can't tell you how much Mom and I ordered from the big book and the sales booklets that would come out from time to time.  Never ordered from the Wish Book - always thought the holiday stuff was overpriced. Doing away with the catalog might not have been so bad had Sears developed a good online presence.  But its website is bleah! 

As for Kenmore --at one time, those appliances were excellent.  Mom had a Kenmore washer/dryer which lasted 26 years.  My first laundry pair, also Kenmore, lasted 18 years.  My last Kenmore major appliance was my current refrigerator.  A huge disappointment.  Among other things, the crisper drawers won't open and close properly.  Junk.  May sound strange, but I'm actually looking forward to the day when this fridge croaks.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2018, 10:55:49 pm »
FWIW -- this article has a list of the 142 stores that will be closing:

https://time.com/money/5424687/sears-stores-closing-2018-bankruptcy-liquidation-sales/

I'm amazed that the usually empty Kmart near me is still staying open.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2018, 11:43:12 pm »
Sears used to make good lifetime warranty tools. Then they started making crap tools that I could get from any Harbor Freight Tools store. Their lawnmowers and washing machines got to where they were not worth it and I stopped going.

Now I run a Cub Cadet lawnmower, they are pretty good deck wise (no rusting out). Like every other mower, it is the electronic crap they add that eventually fails on you.

I see our local Sears is not going out of business, thanks Apple for the link to the list.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:44:08 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2018, 12:01:26 am »
I’ll miss you Sears.

I’ll miss Kenmore.

I miss the Sears catalog
You can't miss Kenmore, Sears didn't manufacture anything, just look for the product of mainstream manufacturers that most closely resembles the Kenmore product you liked. I.E. Refrigerators -Whirpool, vacuum cleaners - Hoover, panasonic , etc.

I missed the Sears Catalog too, only I missed it before I got into my teens, when Sears dropped so many of the items they used to carry, like guns, scooters(gas), motorcycles....

I have fond memories of the Old Sears, and Montgomery Wards, hell even J.C.Penney used to be a real honest to God Department Store! There are so many retailers gone that I used to enjoy going to and just, I guess the best comparison would be 'window shop', in my youth and see merchandise that can only be found in specialty shops now. And Dammit! I'm not that old!