Author Topic: Michigan GOP Senate candidate says incumbent has ‘failed’ Detroit, African American neighborhoods  (Read 885 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Michigan GOP Senate candidate says incumbent has ‘failed’ Detroit, African American neighborhoods
Fox News, Oct 13, 2018, Leland Vittert

Walking the streets of Detroit’s working-class African American neighborhoods, Republican Senate candidate John James seems at home – maybe because he is. He can point out where his parents shopped for groceries, where his dad started a trucking company, which library he went to.

The Detroit native is a former U.S. Army pilot, Iraq War veteran, West Point grad and businessman. He’s young, good-looking, successful and eloquent.

James is trying to unseat incumbent Democrat Debbie Stabenow, who in 2012 captured 94 percent of the African American vote. The latest polling by a Republican firm puts James down 9 points against Stabenow, but some believe he has a good shot at cutting into Stabenow’s core voting bloc. In 2012, Stabenow received 94 percent of the African American vote.

Retired high school teacher Cheryl Wright admitted an African American Republican running for Senate is a sight she never thought she would see.

"There is a sense of pride. But if I vote for him – and I'm seriously considering it – it would not be because he's African-American American,” Wright said. “We have similar values."

James' sales pitch centers around attacking Stabenow's strength among African Americans.

"[She] has failed these neighborhoods," he said. "We need to make sure we have greater opportunities for early childhood development, K-12 development, to include skilled trades and vocational skills in school."

African American business leaders spoke to the same issues during a press conference at the trucking and logistics company his father started and James Jr. now runs. Donald Trump Jr., Vice President Pence and singer Kid Rock, a Michigan native, will be stumping for him.

More:  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-gop-senate-candidate-says-incumbent-has-failed-detroit-african-american-neighborhoods.print

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
I think movement is in the direction of, it is "okay" for blacks to NOT vote democrat.

Inside of the national dem campaign strategy Think Tanks, that must terrify them.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline endicom

Stabenow has a healthy lead in the polls, https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/mi/michigan_senate_james_vs_stabenow-6325.html , but I hope this guy makes it. Damned good resume.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Stabenow has a healthy lead in the polls, https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2018/senate/mi/michigan_senate_james_vs_stabenow-6325.html , but I hope this guy makes it. Damned good resume.

I noticed he's rising fast. Only 9 points down last poll. 4.5 point swing with 3 weeks to go is not insurmountable if he has the mojo, assuming the poll is not an outlier.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I'm a realist.

He'll "get close".... but no cigar.