Author Topic: BEWARE MOBOCRACY  (Read 247 times)

Offline mountaineer

BEWARE MOBOCRACY
« on: October 12, 2018, 09:24:52 pm »
Beware mobocracy
Protesting isn’t the same as demanding desired outcomes at all costs
Jamie Dean
Oct. 12, 2018

One of the most unsettling images in recent American politics came last Saturday as protesters pushed past Capitol Hill police and tried to claw open the massive doors of the U.S. Supreme Court.

It struck me as visceral and strange and disturbing.

They were protesting the swearing in of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, and though they may not have had a clear plan, I wondered: What would these protesters have done if they had gained entrance to the court?

I’ve reported at dozens of political rallies and campaign events for over a decade, and I’ve seen plenty of juvenile protests, insulting rants (including from candidates), and vulgar slogans on signs and T-shirts.

But I’ve only felt genuinely unnerved a few times, and that’s usually when the mood shifted just enough to introduce the potential for real trouble.   ...

How we speak to and about those we disagree with—including other Christians—sets a tone. But it can also set a table: If I’m determined to tell the truth, even when it’s unpopular, some people are going to hate me. But if I’m determined to lampoon and belittle people who oppose my views, I’m going to let go of opportunities to love and serve people who need Christ more than they need me.   ...  Entire article at WORLD magazine
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org