Author Topic: Trump to Sign Music Modernization Act Alongside Kid Rock, Kanye West  (Read 723 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/trump-music-modernization-act-kid-rock-kanye-west-736086/

The Music Modernization Act — a copyright reform bill enthusiastically labeled as “historic” by music industry leaders that blazed its way through Congress this summer — is set to be signed into law by President Trump on Thursday, with artists like Kanye West and Kid Rock slated to attend the ceremony.

Intended to update copyright law for the digital (and specifically streaming) era, the MMA in the form it’s being passed will accomplish three key things: making sure songwriters and artists receive royalties on songs recorded before 1972; allocating royalties for music producers; and updating licensing and royalty rules for streaming services to pay rights-holders in a more streamlined fashion, primarily by setting up an independent entity that will handle much of the work. Under the act, music creators will be paid more and will have a more secure way of collecting all that they’re due.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Trump to Sign Music Modernization Act Alongside Kid Rock, Kanye West
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 04:42:45 pm »

You mean a former reality TV star is signing a bill that helps his fellow performers get richer?

I'm shocked.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:45:30 pm »
You mean a former reality TV star is signing a bill that helps his fellow performers get richer?

I'm shocked.

I don't know. I would be pissed too if I made something and some hipster stole it and then charged people for the item that was originally mine.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 04:53:13 pm »

I'm shocked.

Wrong.

For every one that get's rich there's a million of them working day jobs they hate.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 06:51:49 pm »
After all the time, work and their own money out of pocket to record and produce a CD, all it takes is One person to upload it to you tube, and everyone else downloads it free.

Youtube pays peanuts, fraction of a penny per number of hits.

You have to be getting hits in the millions to make anything from them.

My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 07:16:12 pm »
After all the time, work and their own money out of pocket to record and produce a CD, all it takes is One person to upload it to you tube, and everyone else downloads it free.

Youtube pays peanuts, fraction of a penny per number of hits.

You have to be getting hits in the millions to make anything from them.

From about age 8 - 18, about 3/4 of what I had as money was spent on music that was overpriced for the time due to record company and performer greed.

Excuse me for shedding a few crocodile tears.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 07:59:13 pm »
From about age 8 - 18, about 3/4 of what I had as money was spent on music that was overpriced for the time due to record company and performer greed.

Excuse me for shedding a few crocodile tears.

Record Companies got virtually all of it.

When the contractual smoke on the Moody Blues single "Go Now" cleared (it went gold) the 6 guys in the band wound up with $500 to split 6 ways.

After that screwing they formed their own publishing co. Threshold Records.

Most musicians have to live on the road to survive, record sale royalties were always squat.

Even at that their real income isn't ticket sales but merchandising.

More than one act had to have their lawyers argue over Who owned the tee shirt concession at the front door.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:28 pm »
Here's Billboard's write up of Industry group reactions:

'Truly a Historic Moment': Music Business Reacts to Music Modernization Act Becoming Law

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8479469/music-business-reactions-music-modernisation-act-law-signing

It appears to target streaming companies who were distributing content without paying royalties on it.

Here's the Bill itself.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/4706/text

(Good Luck chewing your way through it)

If I find any artist grousings I'll update.

UPDATE: Here's Forbes in Plain English (Much easier to understand and make sense of this monster)

Music Modernization Act, Now Law, Leaves One Copyright Loophole Unclosed

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billrosenblatt/2018/10/11/music-modernization-act-now-law-leaves-one-copyright-loophole-unclosed/#3a7e3ec47272
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 10:53:36 pm by To-Whose-Benefit? »

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 11:25:40 pm »
Ah crap.
Back to torrent and ripping, I guess.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 11:30:30 pm »
You have to love the irony this bill was signed in the presence of two people who made their biggest hits by sampling other songs.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 11:37:01 pm »
Copyright was never intended to be forever. Nothing ever makes it to the commons anymore.