Author Topic: "Fu*k. You. All. To. Hell": Google Exec Threatens GOP Over Kavanaugh Confirmation  (Read 2480 times)

Offline ConstitutionRose

Our alternative is Bing, which is not nearly (in my view, for what I need) as good as Google.

Is there seriously a search engine called "duckduckgo?"  I'll feel like I should be running around a circle of kids tapping someone's head if I use that!  happy77

I know what you mean about Bing.  As a search engine it is near useless.  My searches fall into 2 categories, technical issues and recipes.  Bing is pathetic for the 1st.  I'll try duckduckgo.  (It does sound like a kids game.)
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Is there sill an "Ask Jeeves"?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

Is there sill an "Ask Jeeves"?

Yeah. It's google.

Offline Frank Cannon

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
We broke up Ma Ball because

Broke up Standard Oil, Banks, Railroads because they were too big, monopolies, etc.

Google should be broken up, too. They have too much market power and control, and they have a dishonest business model.

They steal and sell our private information, and addict our children.

They collude with slave labor communist red China, against America's interests.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online roamer_1

No way.  Really?

No. Wait. Full stop. askjeeves.net is using google.
I think the real askjeeves became ask.com.
so I will retract my statement as a correction.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Broke up Standard Oil, Banks, Railroads because they were too big, monopolies, etc.

Google should be broken up, too. They have too much market power and control, and they have a dishonest business model.

They steal and sell our private information, and addict our children.

They collude with slave labor communist red China, against America's interests.

And "Conservatives" continue to hand government all the rope and ammunition that will eventually be used against THEM one day.

Imbecility does not even begin to describe this, when it is self-evident that whatever government touches, turns to shit and never fulfills what the intention was for weaponizing it in the first place.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Top 3 are Google, Bing, and Yahoo. AOL, Lycos, and WebCrawler are all still around... Try Dogpile.

WebCrawler is still around?  That was my first search engine!

I switched from Google to Bing for my default SE when Google rigged the image search so I couldn't hotlink the pics.  I have DDG now.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

WebCrawler is still around?  That was my first search engine!

I switched from Google to Bing for my default SE when Google rigged the image search so I couldn't hotlink the pics.  I have DDG now.

I was on Startpage (mirror of ddg) for a while... Pissed me off because it took way longer for my browser to fire up. Back to Yahoo... And yeah, that img search thing as google also sent me back to yahoo... Been on dogpile now for a couple weeks.

Offline Wingnut

No. Wait. Full stop. askjeeves.net is using google.
I think the real askjeeves became ask.com.
so I will retract my statement as a correction.

Ask.com, Okay,  I think AB said that a while back and I forgot about it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Our alternative is Bing, which is not nearly (in my view, for what I need) as good as Google.

Is there seriously a search engine called "duckduckgo?"  I'll feel like I should be running around a circle of kids tapping someone's head if I use that!  happy77

Duckduckgo is good.  I use Startpage.com.  Used it for years, and I like it just fine.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yeah, you could.  I almost did when Google messed up G-Mail and refused to let us go back to the old G-Mail.  But there are so many people and contacts that have my current address, it would be a hellish nightmare.

But, you don't have to use Google search to use your gmail.

Offline libertybele

I don't think it really makes a difference what search engine you use; they all have more information on all of use then we'd like or perhaps even know. 

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't think it really makes a difference what search engine you use; they all have more information on all of use then we'd like or perhaps even know.

I've looked myself up a couple of times.  Nada.  happy77
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Privacy-wise, yeah... But you are still using google.
duckduckgo and startpage are both scraper pages... They send your search request on to google, scrape the returns, and load them into a page to present to you... Or at least that's how they started.

Basically yes, I believe Duck Duck Go has a small operation web crawler that logs some of the net, but Startpage (which I use) doesn't.

Startpage has the advantage of if you are really serious about privacy, you set the default (in their settings) to use the overseas server which is bound to tighter privacy (handing over to NSA) standards. I use the default setting (which has some parental blocks on web sites), but one gets a better return with that turned off (again in the settings). You can customize your search in Startpage and basically get a google return without feeding google your information.

Duck Duck Go is my second choice, but I think it has a US center, thus NSA may be scraping off data (but at least it ain't going to Google to use)....

Qwant is another privacy search engine, but mainly bases it's results off Bing results. It has a few twists (a kid search engines that is suppose to be kid friendly and safe).... Also after doing a search you can refine you search down to categories like web, news, social media, images, video, and shopping. Neat feature, but not enough for me to switch from Startpage.

Search.disconnect.me ... It claims privacy but seems to have weird tie-ins with some leftist sources. Recommended by the NYTimes (barf) for privacy is not exactly my idea recommendation.

Mainly I stick with Startpage, if that is slow for some reason that day, I go to DuckDuckGo, and occasionally use Qwant if not getting results from the first two just as a wild goose chase.

Google has one purpose that I occasionally have to use, it has a great reverse image search that Tineye.com does not catch. I try to make it rare and far between before I use anything Google (including their maps).

Email wise, I use the free version of Tutanota.com .... You can send encripted emails if needed. Plain Jane interface, but nobody is tracking your emails.

@libertybele hope you don't mind I pinged ya.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 10:47:11 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Duckduckgo is good.  I use Startpage.com.  Used it for years, and I like it just fine.

I use Startpage (with family filter on) most the time, sometimes I have to turn filter off to get better results but that is my prerogative. If one sets it to use the European server, it bypasses the chance of US government going through your searches also.  Best search engine for privacy that I have found so far that gives fairly good returns (mostly google returns).

Agree with you, best one for a privacy conscious person without going full Tor Browser.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Online mountaineer

Google Will Work With China, But Not the Pentagon
By Corinne Weaver | October 9, 2018 5:58 PM EDT

Google as an international company seems to have different priorities.

The tech giant announced on October 9 that it was dropping out of the $10 billion dollar contract bidding for the Pentagon initiative known as JEDI. In June earlier this year Google opted not to renew its contract with Project Maven, a government project related to drones. However, Google has had no problem forging ahead with the controversial Project Dragonfly, a censored search engine made in cooperation with the communist Chinese government.

The situations are both controversial. The governments of China and the United States offered to work with Google to create a product tailored for their respective unique purposes. The Pentagon wanted a product that aided in defense, allowing top military officials to access information quickly and efficiently in times of war. China wanted a search engine that prevented users from accessing certain opinions or information (in essence a giant propaganda machine.) ...
Newsbusters
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I switched to Startpage as my default.  Give it a shot for a few days at least.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Who here remembers Altavista?

Online Hoodat

Who here remembers Altavista?

That's not too far from where @CatherineofAragon lives.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Silver Pines

That's not too far from where @CatherineofAragon lives.

@Hoodat

Exactly right, lol!